Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
i am never vacationing in brazil ...ive seen plenty of documentaries and movies that depict brazil to be a very dangerous place. Now they are going after F1 drivers ?? There is plenty of action in F1 for the last race.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,960 Posts
Bennie E, was asked about this incident, and he said something to the effect that the real facts are not truly known.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,960 Posts
The 80-year-old Formula One ringmaster also appeared to imply that Button may have had himself to blame, for being slow and “not too bright”.

Button arrived at the paddock in a black Hyundai Sonata on Sunday morning. Gone was the B-Class Mercedes, “absolutely wrecked” after the world champion’s dramatic escape the previous evening. And as the paddock reacted to his getaway, further stories began to emerge. A group of Sauber engineers had been held up by a shanty-town gang, perhaps the same one that tried to rob Button, just an hour later and on the same stretch of the notorious Avenida Interlagos.




  • Some photographers had cameras worth £65,000 stolen at gunpoint.

Virgin Racing’s Lucas di Grassi, who hails from Sao Paulo, was forced to admit that he had had an expensive watch forcibly removed from his person just last month. “A guy walked up to the car, tapped a gun in his belt and I handed over the watch,” Di Grassi said matter-of-factly.
Inevitably, Ecclestone was consulted. Would he be demanding additional security from the Brazilian government? Was the race now in jeopardy?
“I have been coming here for over 40 years,” Ecclestone said dismissively. “I have walked around, driven, been out in restaurants in the city and never seen or heard anything threatening. I’m as safe here as anywhere in the world. How many of these incidents get reported to the police? Very few.”
Strangely, Ecclestone then appeared to have a dig at Button, who, along with his trainer Mike Collier, had been wearing McLaren kit in the car, although the Mercedes had tinted, bullet-proof windows.
“I think they look for victims who are not too bright,” Ecclestone said. “All the people who have been robbed seem to be people outside the top 10 of the grid. Maybe that’s what they target, I don’t know.”
Button, whose chances of defending his world title ended in Brazil on Sunday, had qualified in 11th place for the grand prix.
Ecclestone’s coolness split the F1 fraternity. Di Grassi conceded that Sao Paulo was “dangerous”, although he added that things had improved greatly in recent years. Rubens Barrichello, another son of the city, said he was “ashamed” about what had happened to Button, but inisted that “too much fuss” was being made of the incident. “I’ve lived here all my life and never had any problems,” he said.
However, Sir Jackie Stewart, for whom driver safety has always been to the fore, admitted he had less faith than Barrichello in the city’s safety. “Everyone knows security issues like the one Jenson was exposed to are a fact of life out here,” said the three-time world champion. “I have very heavy security, I always have had here. I have armed security and two or three cars with me. One in front and sometimes one behind too. My car is bullet-proof and bomb-proof.”
Stewart raised the possibility that Button might have been the target of an attempted kidnapping rather than a simple robbery. “Part of the danger is the risk of kidnap and there are rumours here that it’s linked to the drug trade,” he said. “But drug barons don’t kill people unless it’s out of spite. They kidnap them because they are linked to rich multinational companies. In Jenson’s case that means Vodafone and Mobil. Jenson was lucky he had a good driver and security guard.’’
But Sewart added: “I really don’t think the race will be taken off the calendar because of this.” That, at least was something that Ecclestone agreed with. “Who is suggesting that we should not race here?” he asked.“Certainly not me. We have raced here for years, most people have no trouble if they are sensible.”
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
The 80-year-old Formula One ringmaster also appeared to imply that Button may have had himself to blame, for being slow and “not too bright”.

Button arrived at the paddock in a black Hyundai Sonata on Sunday morning. Gone was the B-Class Mercedes, “absolutely wrecked” after the world champion’s dramatic escape the previous evening. And as the paddock reacted to his getaway, further stories began to emerge. A group of Sauber engineers had been held up by a shanty-town gang, perhaps the same one that tried to rob Button, just an hour later and on the same stretch of the notorious Avenida Interlagos.




  • Some photographers had cameras worth £65,000 stolen at gunpoint.

Virgin Racing’s Lucas di Grassi, who hails from Sao Paulo, was forced to admit that he had had an expensive watch forcibly removed from his person just last month. “A guy walked up to the car, tapped a gun in his belt and I handed over the watch,” Di Grassi said matter-of-factly.
Inevitably, Ecclestone was consulted. Would he be demanding additional security from the Brazilian government? Was the race now in jeopardy?
“I have been coming here for over 40 years,” Ecclestone said dismissively. “I have walked around, driven, been out in restaurants in the city and never seen or heard anything threatening. I’m as safe here as anywhere in the world. How many of these incidents get reported to the police? Very few.”
Strangely, Ecclestone then appeared to have a dig at Button, who, along with his trainer Mike Collier, had been wearing McLaren kit in the car, although the Mercedes had tinted, bullet-proof windows.
“I think they look for victims who are not too bright,” Ecclestone said. “All the people who have been robbed seem to be people outside the top 10 of the grid. Maybe that’s what they target, I don’t know.”
Button, whose chances of defending his world title ended in Brazil on Sunday, had qualified in 11th place for the grand prix.
Ecclestone’s coolness split the F1 fraternity. Di Grassi conceded that Sao Paulo was “dangerous”, although he added that things had improved greatly in recent years. Rubens Barrichello, another son of the city, said he was “ashamed” about what had happened to Button, but inisted that “too much fuss” was being made of the incident. “I’ve lived here all my life and never had any problems,” he said.
However, Sir Jackie Stewart, for whom driver safety has always been to the fore, admitted he had less faith than Barrichello in the city’s safety. “Everyone knows security issues like the one Jenson was exposed to are a fact of life out here,” said the three-time world champion. “I have very heavy security, I always have had here. I have armed security and two or three cars with me. One in front and sometimes one behind too. My car is bullet-proof and bomb-proof.”
Stewart raised the possibility that Button might have been the target of an attempted kidnapping rather than a simple robbery. “Part of the danger is the risk of kidnap and there are rumours here that it’s linked to the drug trade,” he said. “But drug barons don’t kill people unless it’s out of spite. They kidnap them because they are linked to rich multinational companies. In Jenson’s case that means Vodafone and Mobil. Jenson was lucky he had a good driver and security guard.’’
But Sewart added: “I really don’t think the race will be taken off the calendar because of this.” That, at least was something that Ecclestone agreed with. “Who is suggesting that we should not race here?” he asked.“Certainly not me. We have raced here for years, most people have no trouble if they are sensible.”

Thanks for posting !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,960 Posts
The Sequel

Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone suffered a minor head injury when he was attacked outside his London office this week and robbed of jewelry worth $314,000.

When F1 driver Jenson Button (pictured) was almost mugged in Sao Paolo, Brazil last month, Ecclestone said ''They (muggers) look for victims, they look for anyone that looks like a soft touch and not too bright."
Mark Thompson
The 80-year-old Ecclestone was treated at a hospital after being punched and kicked by four men following his arrival at the offices of Formula One Holdings on Wednesday night, London Police said Friday.
Ecclestone was released from the hospital.
Police are investigating but no arrests had been made.
Police said Ecclestone was accompanied by a woman, identified in British media reports as his Brazilian girlfriend, Fabiana Flosi, at the time of the attack around 10:30 p.m.
Earlier this month, Ecclestone complained there were not enough police officers on the streets of London.
''Normally like in America or anywhere you go, there are people getting mugged,'' Ecclestone said. ''In London, it's a funny thing, you know. It's surprising in Oxford Street the number of people that get mugged there hourly.
''We should have more police there.''
Ecclestone made the comments in response to an attempted attack on Formula One driver Jenson Button in Sao Paolo ahead of the Brazilian Grand Prix, suggesting that robbers go after people who look vulnerable.
''They look for victims, they look for anyone that looks like a soft touch and not too bright,'' Ecclestone said. ''The people that look a bit soft and simple, they will always have a go at.''
Button's driver had to swerve out of a traffic jam to dodge an attempted robbery by heavily armed gunmen approaching the armored car.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top