Luxury4Play.com banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I just built one the other day and had NO idea they were that expensive. 99k starting for an R? Helllll no. I thought the R would be in the S range.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I just built one the other day and had NO idea they were that expensive. 99k starting for an R? Helllll no. I thought the R would be in the S range.
A luxury based brand with a new development car with 550hp and a awesome 8sp ZF trans and u thought it would be 60-70k???? Lol, cmon man you gotta be kidding me

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
A luxury based brand with a new development car with 550hp and a awesome 8sp ZF trans and u thought it would be 60-70k???? Lol, cmon man you gotta be kidding me
Not to mention a world class exterior and interior. Seriously dude, be realistic. I'm very surprised this car doesn't cost much more.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I'm with Adv.1 Tony on this one--base is $99k, with options...$120k? The market they're going after is pretty crowded and Jaguar has taken a pretty big reputation hit since the 80s/90s. From reviews, the F-Type offers looks and little else in the segment.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I'm with Adv.1 Tony on this one--base is $99k, with options...$120k? The market they're going after is pretty crowded and Jaguar has taken a pretty big reputation hit since the 80s/90s. From reviews, the F-Type offers looks and little else in the segment.
Base is $65k, top of the line R is $99k. And I'm sorry, what segment do you think this car is in?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Very nice looking Jag. In the 4th pic the red one looks like a California mixed with an 8C Competizione, the silver one V12 Vantage-ish and the red one slightly resembles an SLS. it's the colors and the angles that make me see that.:wink:

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Don't get me wrong guys, the car is amazing, I just didn't think base for the R would start at 99k. I was thinking maybe fully optioned at 99k but still, just didn't see that. I guess I'm not up to date on my Jag prices.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Don't get me wrong guys, the car is amazing, I just didn't think base for the R would start at 99k. I was thinking maybe fully optioned at 99k but still, just didn't see that. I guess I'm not up to date on my Jag prices.
That's why i left the depreciation comment earlier...Love the car but no way i'd pick up a new one.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Yeah, I was really interested in this car until I saw that price. But then again, it is an amazing car. But for likely 110-115k after options, there are a few other cars I'd pick instead of this. I will definitely look into it once a few used start rolling out.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Have to agree regarding Jag depreciation, but they're by no means the only brand that has this happen. My 2012 XF was over 15k off from the original MSRP and had less than 15k miles on it when I drove it off the lot...

I don't think I'd ever buy one new. CPO is the way to go!

·
Registered
276 Posts
You haven't built one have you? The R comes with most options jag offers so at most with your add ons will be 110k , every car that is tested has an as tested price of 105k with the base being 99k. Also what segment are you putting this car in? I think we all know where a decent optioned 991 S will get you. Compare it to another GT car like a Vantage S and see how that works out. This F type coupe R is the most " bang for buck" you will get in its class

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Sorry, starting for the R is $99k. I think they're in the GT/sports--luxury segment.

Other vehicles in $100k range:

Dodge Viper
BMW M6
Chevy ZR1
Porsche 911
Nissan GTR
Mercedes SL550
Audi RS5 (a lot cheaper)

Jaguar has a nice cross section: some performance, some history, some cache, but without excelling in any of them I think they're misjudging their market.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Have to agree regarding Jag depreciation, but they're by no means the only brand that has this happen. My 2012 XF was over 15k off from the original MSRP and had less than 15k miles on it when I drove it off the lot...

I don't think I'd ever buy one new. CPO is the way to go!
Almost traded in my C63 on a xkr-s earlier this year. The car was a 2012 and was never titled ( dealer owner driven) with 10k miles on it and they only wanted 82k for it. That was 50k off MSRP !!! I didn't pull the trigger because it wasn't really what I was looking for but this coupe R is exactly what I am waiting for!!! Given the new SLC AMG isn't near the same price range

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Sorry guys, didn't mean to start a huge debate! I think I just need to get in one to see what they're all about. My friend just picked up a 2011 XFR and I LOVE the car. The F Type R is looking to be a great car and I'm excited to get to drive one.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Sorry guys, didn't mean to start a huge debate! I think I just need to get in one to see what they're all about. My friend just picked up a 2011 XFR and I LOVE the car. The F Type R is looking to be a great car and I'm excited to get to drive one.
This is a open forum man that what we are here for. We are all grow and can debate/discuss things like adults

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Sorry, starting for the R is $99k. I think they're in the GT/sports--luxury segment.

Other vehicles in $100k range:

Dodge Viper
BMW M6
Chevy ZR1
Porsche 911
Nissan GTR
Mercedes SL550
Audi RS5 (a lot cheaper)

Jaguar has a nice cross section: some performance, some history, some cache, but without excelling in any of them I think they're misjudging their market.
Wow, really? The only cars that are in the same segment as the F-Type in that list are the SL550 and M6. Just because cars cost near the same amount doesn't mean they're in the same segment. But seriously, you consider a Nissan GT-R a luxury grand tourer?! Lmfao.

As for the M6 and S550, the F-Type that competes with them (V8S & R) beats them in many categories.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Wow, really? The only cars that are in the same segment as the F-Type in that list are the SL550 and M6. Just because cars cost near the same amount doesn't mean they're in the same segment. But seriously, you consider a Nissan GT-R a luxury grand tourer?! Lmfao.

As for the M6 and S550, the F-Type that competes with them (V8S & R) beats them in many categories.

You would really be surprised at how many ppl think that because cars cost the same that they are in the same segment/category. You really would

·
Registered
1,264 Posts

As Big Kaz mentioned, price drives a big part of perception and satisfaction. Look at the different enthusiast forums, you'll see several threads justifying/asking purchases of a "sports car vs GT" or "sports sedan vs luxury SUV". Whether or not the F-Type "beats" the M6 and S550 is secondary to a lot of people, image is where the Jag takes a big hit.

In some way, this parallels the Camry/Accord vs Hyundai/Kia argument. The Korean cars are in many ways "better", but a lot of people remember the Hyundai Excel of the 80s/90s, so to keep up, the Sonata/Optima have to price their cars a little lower and/or offer 10 year warranties.

·
Registered
276 Posts
As Big Kaz mentioned, price drives a big part of perception and satisfaction. Look at the different enthusiast forums, you'll see several threads justifying/asking purchases of a "sports car vs GT" or "sports sedan vs luxury SUV". Whether or not the F-Type "beats" the M6 and S550 is secondary to a lot of people, image is where the Jag takes a big hit.

In some way, this parallels the Camry/Accord vs Hyundai/Kia argument. The Korean cars are in many ways "better", but a lot of people remember the Hyundai Excel of the 80s/90s, so to keep up, the Sonata/Optima have to price their cars a little lower and/or offer 10 year warranties.
I understand what you are saying but I think you missed srock's point, ppl are not( in normal cases) going to cross shop a viper and a f type coupe, nor a f type and a gtr or zr1. It seems you missed the point he and I was making about cars in the f type's segment/category. A even though the 911 isn't a GT car I would consider it to be cross shopped with the coupe but look at what 99k gets you with a 911, not even close to what the jag has to offer, same goes with the AM vantage V8

21 - 40 of 57 Posts