Luxury4Play.com banner

Jack Roush injured in jet crash at Oshkosh today.

7K views 28 replies 24 participants last post by  Chris 
#1 ·
Jack Roush crashed his Beechcraft Premier 390 on landing today at Oshkosh.

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
Thats not the first time JR has been in a serious plane crash. Several years ago he crashed one of his aircraft into a lake, and he was fortunate enough that a retired Marine saw the whole thing, swam out, and pulled JR from the submerged plane.

Edit: Some more info:

On April 20, 2002, Roush almost lost his life when his private plane, an Aircam, went down in a lake in Troy, Alabama. Roush was underwater and unconscious, suffering from a head concussion, when Larry Hicks, a retired Marine, rescued Roush, pulled him to safety, and administered CPR. Shortly afterwards, Roush was flown to UAB Hospital in Birmingham, Alabama where he was treated for a head injury, broken ribs, and a shattered left leg. Hicks, himself, was injured as a result of the rescue, suffering cramps in both his arms and first degree chemical burns on his body from the fuel.

#10 ·
The articles I've read seem to give two very different reports on Jack's condition. Granted I haven't found a OSH newspaper article or been to the Roush-Fenway Racing or EAA website either.

It will be interesting to see the NTSB report on this accident. It makes me wonder what landing procedure OSH was under at the time of the accident?

#17 ·
Here's the latest news

Roush Enterprises chairman and Roush Fenway Racing co-owner Jack Roush is in fair condition following a plane crash at the end of July. Roush was piloting the Beechcraft Premier jet, which crash-landed shortly after 6am at the Wittman Airfield in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.

Despite reports of the plane cartwheeling several times, both Roush and his passenger, Brenda Strickland, walked away from the crash. The racing entrepreneur had been transported in serious condition to an area hospital, before being transferred to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota.

Roush is being treated for "facial injuries sustained in a plane accident," according to a press release from his company. "There has been no timetable set for his release from the hospital."

#21 ·
Well, it could of been worse. If he'd augered into the ground it would of been pretty much lights out for Jack. Appears he's at least talking and of right mind if he's asking how his team is doing. Guy is tough as nails to survive a 2nd airplane crash.

#24 ·
This was emailed to me recently. Pretty interesting:

2010 (Whitman Field Oshkosh, WI), NASCAR's Jack Roush flying a Beech Premier 390 Business jet (N number N6JR) crashed. He and a female passenger were the only ones aboard. While on his base leg, Jack over flew the North/South runway (attempting to land to the South) tried to get back to the runway, stalled and crashed right in front of me. The engines continued to run at high RPM for about 2 to 3 minutes after the crash. I am amazed that no fire broke out. Jack Roush and his passenger were taken to the hospital. The passenger was released from the hospital the next day. It is my understanding that Jack Roush was flown to the Mayo Clinic later in the week.
The good news was the jet could have crashed into the many people on the flight line (like me) or the hundreds of planes parked in back of me. I have seen a few crashes in my time but never this close. It scared me.

We were actually there. I never heard or saw it (too busy with the simulators and too far away), but I heard a lot about it afterward.

Attachments

#27 ·
After looking at the pictures and hearing what Jack has to say last Sunday at Michigan I'd posit the theory that the really lucky ones are the C-120/140 pilot's on the taxiway.

In his comments from the track Jack indicated that he had to make an abrupt evasive manuver to avoid another airplane on either very short final or in the flare.

The NTSB report will have all that in it.

And I can tell you from experience at Oshkosh and other aviation gatherings (i.e. airshows,fly-in's, etc) that I simply have lost interest in airshow type events due to the number of fatalities I've witnessed while attending. I've lost more friends and family over the years than I can recount at one time in accident. I've been blessed to walk away from an take-off accident without as much as a scratch and have no illusion that I probably won't walk away if there is a second one.

If I'm not comforable with my own mortality on any given day I simply don't fly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.