Luxury4Play.com banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Well, it could of been worse. If he'd augered into the ground it would of been pretty much lights out for Jack. Appears he's at least talking and of right mind if he's asking how his team is doing. Guy is tough as nails to survive a 2nd airplane crash.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I just overheard a coworker say they were at OshKosh. I asked if he heard of this crash. He was actually a few hundred feet away as it happened. Small world! Hope Jack is recovering well.

·
Registered
106 Posts
This was emailed to me recently. Pretty interesting:

2010 (Whitman Field Oshkosh, WI), NASCAR's Jack Roush flying a Beech Premier 390 Business jet (N number N6JR) crashed. He and a female passenger were the only ones aboard. While on his base leg, Jack over flew the North/South runway (attempting to land to the South) tried to get back to the runway, stalled and crashed right in front of me. The engines continued to run at high RPM for about 2 to 3 minutes after the crash. I am amazed that no fire broke out. Jack Roush and his passenger were taken to the hospital. The passenger was released from the hospital the next day. It is my understanding that Jack Roush was flown to the Mayo Clinic later in the week.
The good news was the jet could have crashed into the many people on the flight line (like me) or the hundreds of planes parked in back of me. I have seen a few crashes in my time but never this close. It scared me.

We were actually there. I never heard or saw it (too busy with the simulators and too far away), but I heard a lot about it afterward.

Attachments

·
Registered
332 Posts
After looking at the pictures and hearing what Jack has to say last Sunday at Michigan I'd posit the theory that the really lucky ones are the C-120/140 pilot's on the taxiway.

In his comments from the track Jack indicated that he had to make an abrupt evasive manuver to avoid another airplane on either very short final or in the flare.

The NTSB report will have all that in it.

And I can tell you from experience at Oshkosh and other aviation gatherings (i.e. airshows,fly-in's, etc) that I simply have lost interest in airshow type events due to the number of fatalities I've witnessed while attending. I've lost more friends and family over the years than I can recount at one time in accident. I've been blessed to walk away from an take-off accident without as much as a scratch and have no illusion that I probably won't walk away if there is a second one.

If I'm not comforable with my own mortality on any given day I simply don't fly.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts