Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Sponsor
10,268 Posts
Thats not the first time JR has been in a serious plane crash. Several years ago he crashed one of his aircraft into a lake, and he was fortunate enough that a retired Marine saw the whole thing, swam out, and pulled JR from the submerged plane.

Edit: Some more info:

On April 20, 2002, Roush almost lost his life when his private plane, an Aircam, went down in a lake in Troy, Alabama. Roush was underwater and unconscious, suffering from a head concussion, when Larry Hicks, a retired Marine, rescued Roush, pulled him to safety, and administered CPR. Shortly afterwards, Roush was flown to UAB Hospital in Birmingham, Alabama where he was treated for a head injury, broken ribs, and a shattered left leg. Hicks, himself, was injured as a result of the rescue, suffering cramps in both his arms and first degree chemical burns on his body from the fuel.

·
Registered
332 Posts
The articles I've read seem to give two very different reports on Jack's condition. Granted I haven't found a OSH newspaper article or been to the Roush-Fenway Racing or EAA website either.

It will be interesting to see the NTSB report on this accident. It makes me wonder what landing procedure OSH was under at the time of the accident?

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
I couldn't believe it when I saw it. If Jack had traveled all those miles on the road, I wonder how many accidents he would've been in? Totally awesome watching him walk away.

·
Sponsor
10,268 Posts
Here's the latest news

Roush Enterprises chairman and Roush Fenway Racing co-owner Jack Roush is in fair condition following a plane crash at the end of July. Roush was piloting the Beechcraft Premier jet, which crash-landed shortly after 6am at the Wittman Airfield in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.

Despite reports of the plane cartwheeling several times, both Roush and his passenger, Brenda Strickland, walked away from the crash. The racing entrepreneur had been transported in serious condition to an area hospital, before being transferred to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota.

Roush is being treated for "facial injuries sustained in a plane accident," according to a press release from his company. "There has been no timetable set for his release from the hospital."

·
Registered
898 Posts
I talked to a couple friends at Roush Racing and they said he was already on the phone asking how the race cars were doing at the race this past weekend. So it looks like he may be getting better.

·
Registered
933 Posts
if you want to go into the history of NASCAR owners/drivers/families involved in airplane crashes... theres quite a few! glad he's OK! sure we'll see him/and or some of his family this next weekend at Russo Steele at Monterey

1 - 20 of 29 Posts