Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My unhealthy addiction to automobiles is shared in spirit by my father as well. He grew up poor and lived a blue collar life with my mother while I grew up. We lived well, but he never had the extra money for vacations or 'toys' that he really deserved after working as a long haul truck driver. Well, in 2011 I was able to buy him a hot rod to enjoy in his retirement years.

I came across a very nice 1940 F100 and snagged it up. The guy I bought it from was even kind enough to drive it up from southern Florida on Father's Day to deliver it. However, my dad was expecting to take delivery of a rear end for my Chevelle, not a new truck. Imagine his surprise when a closed trailer showed up and he saw what was inside. I was actually on the phone with him from Afghanistan when he got his first glimpse of his new truck as the deliverer told him "Happy Father's Day". He burst into tears and kept asking me if this was real, he couldn't believe it.

The last three years he has taken the truck to many shows and placed well with it. It turns heads wherever he goes and sounds incredible. In the last month he has won two "Best of Shows" and one Top 20 Best of Show. Here is his truck:

20130325_182915.jpg
20130325_182926.jpg
20130325_182951.jpg
20130325_182959.jpg
20130325_183013.jpg

The end of 2012, both my parents were diagnosed with cancer. My mom's was worse than my dad's. She had chemo and a rough surgery that almost took her away. My dad's wasn't as bad, however after his surgery, they found more and he required chemo as well. As of this month, both got clean bills of health on their check ups. The last year and change has been trying for them and it really puts all plans of enjoying their retirement on the back burner. Hopefully now they can start looking at traveling again in the RV and having a good time.

So, while looking ahead and supporting my ebay addiction, I found a 1950 Mercury Coupe. My dad always told me this was the hot rod he always wanted to restore. Originally, when I bought his truck, this is what I looked for, but I couldn't find something in my budget at the time that was just right. This car had over 200 watchers and it was going to move fast; I pulled the trigger. Tomorrow night my dad is going to receive a call from me informing him we need to sell his hot rod. I've already emailed him photos of the Merc, just to say, "Wow, look at this car! Only lasted a day on the auction block." During the phone call he will find out that this is actually his new ride:

_57.jpg
_58.jpg
_59.jpg
_60.jpg
_61.jpg
_63.jpg
_64.jpg
_65.jpg
_66.jpg
_67.jpg
_68.jpg
_69.jpg
_70.jpg

·
Registered
478 Posts
Incredible act of kindness and support to provide to your parents with. i am sure they are beyond grateful and appreciative of what you have done. wishing them both the best!!!!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the best wishes. My dad got caught off guard yesterday when I broke the news. He sounded like an excited kid.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Amazing story and a amazing gift brotha!! Now get back to the states! hahaha. That merc is mean looking. I still got room to watch over the caddy if you ever need. hahaha!!

Aloha,
Will

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hahaha, we will take the Caddy out when I get back. That car is SICK.

Sold the '49 Ford tonight. :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
That is a very clean example. Congratulations to you and your father, enjoy in good health.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
You are a good person! I hope to be able to do the same for my after one day, his first car was a '67 mustang fastback so I hope to buy him one as a thank you.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm telling you, when you do it, you will be amazed how much that means to him.
You are a good person! I hope to be able to do the same for my after one day, his first car was a '67 mustang fastback so I hope to buy him one as a thank you.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I want to, but lately my sensible side has been taking over :/

Nice and Congrats bro! So are you hinting at something..hahaha..Is there going to be a white beast in your driveway? :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hahaha!! You just let me know bro, which side wins.. I found a truck I want to build up so Ill prob post the kodi for sale in a week. But for you, Ill knock 5k off of what price we talked about :) See how your sensible side feels bout that..haha!!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Haha I just saw this. I'm still feeling sensible haha.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts