Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 2007 honda civic si with 67k miles and I owe 11k on it. I found a 2004 rang rover with 81k miles a couple hours from my place. Its a luxury dealership.

Is 81k miles too high?? What is expected to go bad with this kind of mileage?

Is the price right? The guy said he has about 6 rovers total.

Mirabella Motors

·
Registered
37 Posts
My two cents, pay the civic off or your going to end up paying 24k for a 11 year old Range Rover (if you transfer debt). Pre 2010 Range Rovers had some known issues for sure.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have owned a 2004 range rover and I would walk away from buying one. There is a reason a 80K car is now 14K. Also, this one seems little weird, that is not a 04 front end, so either the picture is incorrect or someone has replaced the grill and headlights, which could mean prior front end damage. My suggest, keep the civic if you want to keep your sanity.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Back in the day I purchased a brand new 04 range rover. The 03-05 models had a major flaw in the drivetrain system, the differential spline would strip due to the angle of the driveshaft. The part that would fail has actually been updated, which now is no longer a problem. Plus land Rover did a recall on these yrs. I put a 100k miles on our rover and that was the only issue I had with it.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Costs $14,000 with a repair bill of a car that's $80,000.

Buddy of mine had a 03 and I'm pretty sure it was in the shop more than the road.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've owned an 04 Range Rover, and it was an absolute nightmare. Water pump went out, stock wheel "cracked", battery went out, started leaking oil, and thermostat shorted which melted a bunch of wiring. All of this happened in about an 8 month span. My two cents, KEEP YOUR SANITY AND MONEY AND DONT DO IT

·
Registered
513 Posts
Range Rovers are known to be one of the most unreliable pieces of shit out there. Don't buy it
Some, not all. :)

Stay away from early years. Anything pre-2010 will be very expensive to maintain.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I'd look for an 05 RR. Probably find a clean one in the mid teens and the engine is bullet proof. Have anything you buy inspected first and expect the air suspension to go at some point if it hasnt been replaced already. Alot of guys just convert the older air rides to springs I think the kit is around $800. Great truck if it's been well cared for.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Some, not all. :)

Stay away from early years. Anything pre-2010 will be very expensive to maintain.
True. OP you should look at spending a little more right now and get a newer one as It will save you from major issues in the long run.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you're going to get a used one, look for an '07+. The Jaguar engines are much better than the BMW engine (first year of Jag engine was '06, but if you want the updated interior you'll have to look at the '07+). I would avoid the '05s as that was the single-year of MOST and the 4.4L BMW engine. You should ask anyone who generalizes that all Range Rovers are piles and unreliable if they've ever owned one (or two) or if they're just spouting things they hear over the Internet without the experience. I agree there are bad ones out there, so make sure you do your research and have the service history of whatever you're looking at (ask a dealer if you have a connection - they can pull the service history and are generally willing to help).

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Cody Ive owned a 04,05,07 and currently a 2011 and my 2014 arrives end of next week all RR HSE's. The 05 I had no issues with and the BMW engine was bulletproof. The 04 had some annoying electrical errors along with air ride going and the steering column needed replacing but nothing that would make me run from buying another. I agree if you can afford a newer model it's well worth the additional funds and the over all ride quality is night and day but if you can't and your remotely handy and active in the RR forums older RR ownership is not all nightmares.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Cody Ive owned a 04,05,07 and currently a 2011 and my 2014 arrives end of next week all RR HSE's. The 05 I had no issues with and the BMW engine was bulletproof. The 04 had some annoying electrical errors along with air ride going and the steering column needed replacing but nothing that would make me run from buying another. I agree if you can afford a newer model it's well worth the additional funds and the over all ride quality is night and day but if you can't and your remotely handy and active in the RR forums older RR ownership is not all nightmares.
Completely agree. I had an '03, '05, '07 SC, and '10 SC. The only one I had a major with was the '05 (front diff issue) - replaced under warranty twice. Other than that, just really minor things. The '05 was fine, but I only had it from new up to 75k miles - the VANOS was a known issue with these at higher mileage, but as long as proper maintenance/care was taken, it should be fine. OP, RANGEROVERS.NET HOME is the best resource out there - would highly recommend you check it out.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I dumped 2 RRS Supercharged models ('11 and '13) as they weren't reliable and I put on less than 5K miles on both. It was the time loss for me that was annoying (drive to dealership, wait on strangers to work on your car, wait, drive a crap jag loaner, wait, pick-up car).

It's not the drivetrain. Most engines are robust for all makes/models. Transmissions are made by maybe 2-3 vendors (getrag, aisin). It's the air suspension that's a pos. It's a computerized/mechanical nightmare managing 3 tons of metal. The thing would make noises adjusting constantly even at rest.

I'll never buy an LR product, again, and I bought both new.

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
I've owned an 04 Range Rover, and it was an absolute nightmare. Water pump went out, stock wheel "cracked", battery went out, started leaking oil, and thermostat shorted which melted a bunch of wiring. All of this happened in about an 8 month span. My two cents, KEEP YOUR SANITY AND MONEY AND DONT DO IT

a t-stat shorted out??? I would love to see that.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
OP - Any car is worth it as long as it's worth it to YOU and understand what it takes to repair these cars when something goes wrong. Like most cars, you get out of it what you put in. And Range Rovers are no exceptions but with a few 'bad apples' in the lot.

This coming from owning 2 Discovery's, an 06 RRSC HSE and currently have an 07 RRSC HSE. All have been problem free with the exception of the 06.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
198 Posts
14k for a transmission you know youll have to replace. that's what the truck is worth. Stay away.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts