Luxury4Play.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always watched the market on these cars for when there comes a day that I need to bite the bullet. But after I started going to college last year I came back and noticed the prices had plummeted. I'm not sure if I just learned how to search better, or if Bentleys, Astons, and even sometimes Ferraris are now actually considered "affordable" for the average person.

Has anyone else seen this? Or am I going crazy?

Here's from just a quick search on eBay, and the prices reflect the local market pretty well.
aston martin in Cars & Trucks | eBay

As you can see you can very reliably find an AM for $60K, which is Caddy cash...

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Astons have always sucked as far as deprecation. Of course this is great for the buyer who likes a bargain on a used car. Maseratis are another car that fit into this category.

Ferraris have been holding pretty well.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Astons have always sucked as far as deprecation. Of course this is great for the buyer who likes a bargain on a used car. Maseratis are another car that fit into this category.

Ferraris have been holding pretty well.
Oh yeah! Maserati was the one I forgot. Have they always been around $60K for used?

It does seem like - at least for AM - that they make too many cars, therefor inherently needing to swiftly drop the prices for "quick sales" so the current new car owners can stay on top of the game and not get sucked into the pit of deprecating used cars.

But, as you were saying, this makes for an exciting used car market. :whistle:

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I would like to own a bentley, maserati, aston, I would love to own many cars that are in the 6-fig price when they are new….however I won't spend my $60-70k on a used car on a used one, mainly cause they are 5 years or older, or have lots of milage on them, no warrenty, and sports cars aren't known for the reliability. For $60-70k I would rather get a mercedes, bmw, audi, corvette, something much newer, but thats just my 2 cents.

Until you see the first repair bill.
this….

if you have to wait to buy a a $150k when it drops down to 60K theres a good chances the the repair bills and insurance might be to much.

Haha true. Although I hear Bentleys are pretty solid. I'm sure there are exceptions though.
You can find 2 people who are bentley owners, one can tell you its solid as steal, and the other will tell you its a fancy tin can. All my life I heard mercedes are the best, boy did I find out the hard way. It can be a 50/50.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So true. I feel like though it's a really good way to start a collection, but I may be wrong.

It's hard looking at a new Mercedes, and a used Aston for the same price - everyone and their brother has a Merc/Lexus/Rover. But you only hear about people that actually own something in the class of an executive sports sedan/coupe. At least in my experience.

If anything, since you already have thousands and thousands to spend on a car, you could always pick up a used Civic/Tacoma to get you around on weekdays. :D

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
People act like exotics blow up past 20-30,000 miles which is pretty ridiculous. The truth is most of those cars require very little maintenance, it's just that repairs cost a lot more. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

I was looking at an 08 Quattroporte with 39,000 miles for $34,000. That car had a $110,000+ MSRP and was mint all around. There are definitely some great values if you don't mind buying used.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
People act like exotics blow up past 20-30,000 miles which is pretty ridiculous. The truth is most of those cars require very little maintenance, it's just that repairs cost a lot more. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

I was looking at an 08 Quattroporte with 39,000 miles for $34,000. That car had a $110,000+ MSRP and was mint all around. There are definitely some great values if you don't mind buying used.
If its a ferrari there is a good chance that it will happen :p

Its not the fear that high end cars will crap up out if its past 20-30,000 miles, its the fact that its used, and server years old, the car might work out well and be the best vehicle you've ever owned, or after a month parts start to go. Its the same risk as if you were to buy any used car.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
If its a ferrari there is a good chance that it will happen :p
Like any used car, you should have a PPI done and make sure all maintenance has been completed. If everything was done and up to date, you get a bargain. There are many F430s with 100k+ miles, same with Gallardos. I've seen a Murcielago with 260,000 miles. Modern supercars are much more reliable than in the past.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts