Luxury4Play.com banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The following exerpt is from the lead in for a SEMA show discussion and it raises some good points about how the current generation growing up doesn't seem to have the same respect for cars that most of us have grown up with. Many of them are being given cars in high school instead of having to work to buy their first one and get a job to pay for gas & insurance like many of us had to. They make great points about the social aspects of the automobile in history as well.

What is your take?

"Is the love affair with the car over? Say it isn't so! Recent studies indicate a major shift in Gen Y's perception of the automobile. Historically, kids have relied heavily on the car to connect socially—but not anymore.
“Many of us in executive management of automotive aftermarket companies,” said Zan Martin, Martin & Company Advertising, “are in or near the end of the Baby-Boomer age group. We achieved our first major milestone in life by actually passing the “big” test, getting our driver’s licenses and saving up to get our own cars. We were finally able to hop in the car, pick up our friends and experience a much-anticipated freedom. We had wheels!”
Reality check: Today’s kids don’t have to have wheels at all in order to be totally active in each other’s social lives. They can text, Skype or compete with each other among hundreds of online video games from across the street or on the other side of the ocean. Who needs wheels? In fact, statistics show that as the technology behind social media advances (almost daily), kids are waiting longer and longer to get their driver's licenses or even think about getting behind the wheel of a car. Most know they can’t afford the car payment, the insurance or the price of the gas anyway. Many families are carpooling just to save money.
For those of us whose livelihoods depend on a consumer’s passion for the automobile, this information is downright scary. Come out and get some tips from a number of savvy company executives whose business strategies include luring youth back into our market."

·
Registered
883 Posts
I couldn't wait for the day I turned 16 and got my license!! Went out and bought a vette for my first car!! Too bad is was a CHEvette!!! Paid $100.00 and had a dent in the front fender but it got me around for a while!!! That was so long ago back in 1989! ;-(

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
it is.

kids live in a virtual world today....what good are dreams of new camaros when you spend your life on facebook and twitter.

as much as we hate it...the late 90s/early 2000s were the heyday for the car culture for our generation....the fast and the furious, the mustang vs camaro, the ricers vs the muscle car crowd really filled all the gaps.

now cops crack down on the car meets, modded cars are looked down on...and myspace and facebook took over.

·
Registered
687 Posts
My son loves cars. He is completely obsessed with Lamborghini's. I'm glad that his goal is to own one, keeps him motivated.

·
Registered
136 Posts
it is.

kids live in a virtual world today....what good are dreams of new camaros when you spend your life on facebook and twitter.

as much as we hate it...the late 90s/early 2000s were the heyday for the car culture for our generation....the fast and the furious, the mustang vs camaro, the ricers vs the muscle car crowd really filled all the gaps.

now cops crack down on the car meets, modded cars are looked down on...and myspace and facebook took over.
couldn't have put it any better my self. I remember in gym class our coach telling us how he raced one of the city cops in his camaro, verse the squad car in the early 80s. They made a 50 dollar bet, and my teachers brother held the cops badge and ticket book. lol after he beat the cop, the cop paid another 50 bucks to see what he had under the hood.
But now if your caught watching a street race they can impound your car and give thousands away in fines.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I also read something like this.. They also blamed it on the internet and how it is easier for someone to hop on a train and do their work while en route.

I got my license late, 17. There was no need for me to get 1, my family would take me where i wanted to go. I also played a lot of xbox live! lol plus being in a single parent home, and only 1 car kind of kept me from trying to get into it.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
My ex's little sister didn't even want to get her license. Parents wouldn't drop her off at college and she lives in an auto-reliant area (metro detroit), so she was forced to get one.

Nick

·
Registered
221 Posts
I think on top of the increasing efficiency of mass transit, despite rising fair prices, people just find driving more inconvenient. That said, the amount of people who consider themselves enthusiast has drastically decreased partly because of the governmental and general conception that all sports cars are impractical and irresponsible to own and drive.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
plus kids are a lot more enviromentally and socially conscious than we were.
the pollutants and the mpg actually matter to them....I guess each generation are more mature than the past generation in some things while they retard in others.

·
Registered
519 Posts
it is.

Could not have said it better,

When i was in high school, 96-99 it was about the honda civic and acura integra, and mustang camaro fights.

here in az* cops dont really crack down on cars but in washington, My parents in 1999 bought a audi A6 the first few cars with hid's other then the lexus GS400 they got three tickets in that car because the headlights were purple or white. I had a friend get a ticket in a sti for his rear spoiler being in the mirrors view, I had a friend get a ticket for owning a new lexus IS300 for his chrome rear lights wich were stock on that car, Today in wa* they stop you for clear bumper lights. white bulbs. to low, to high, altezza lights any of them.

Worst thing washington state did. is you cant have any form of modified exhaust. You have a chrome exhaust you will get stopped and ticketed out of state or not, My friend has a exhaust and has a 50 state exemp code and they wont except it. Driving late at night will get you a ticket.

I would say the import scene died 2002, went to the jdm stock look. wich i dont understand why you want your car looking stock aka jdm. with them stupid shit hanging from the tow hooks,

·
Registered
376 Posts
I don't think it will die but it is going to change and has been ever since it started. I'm in my mid 40's and at the time I was in high school big hp was dying the era of big stereo's was the thing and mini trucks then came tuner cars and on and on. What's next? Cars will alway be important in the USA and even more so on the west coast(bad public transportation). Some one once said the more things change the more they stay the same, and I think this is very true with the love affair of the car.

·
Registered
277 Posts
My best friend thought a 360 CS was a Mustang.....and he likes cars more than anyone else I know in my school. I think a little bit of my died when he asked me if I "saw that awesome yellow mustang!".

I can definitely see car culture changing drastically in my generation.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I think the police ruined a lot of it. about 2002. The police started hitting imports hard in washington. When i say hard i say like everytime they seen a import you would get stopped. for something. they they would pick apart your car. I got harrased 1-2 a week. Most people just made there cars stock. Then they started stopping imports and checking engine codes and if your header was legal or your muffler was not stock. I had a friend get a ticket for a k&n filter.

You would go to court and the judge would call you a street racer and see you again soon. No Joke.

I was getting off work at 11:00 and leaving a starbucks and i got stopped and told i was racing people all night and driving wreckless, i said I am 24 years old i drive a miata stock.

Everyone i know that had imports fixed up sold them. for suvs and stock 4 doors.

·
Registered
519 Posts
My best friend thought a 360 CS was a Mustang.....and he likes cars more than anyone else I know in my school. I think a little bit of my died when he asked me if I "saw that awesome yellow mustang!".

I can definitely see car culture changing drastically in my generation.
Had a guy at a benefit car show this weekend. I had the ferrari 355 spider out he says wow i love them new lotus...I'm thinking wtf* it says ferrari on the decklid...lol

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
I'm in this new generation of kids and I have a love affinity with cars still. Definitely one of those guys that would relax in a t-shirt, jeans, and a pair of pilottis and drive every car i could afford to buy and own to its limit (in accordance to legal laws of course :D). But I do see how technology is affecting the market. More and more kids are in love with technology (fbook/twitter) and the use of it 24/7 now that cell phones w/ unlimited data packages are within reach.

Car Enthusiasts/Afficianados have become a niche group of people and I actually like the fact that its getting smaller because of the quality of people who actually read and understand cars instead of just "seeing the new bmw or the lambo that was in ______ ______ rap video"

1 - 20 of 25 Posts