Luxury4Play.com banner

101 - 120 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
AvmaviatoR who do you fly for? i see this is your first post. welcome!
I currently fly for Skywest. I didn't realize it was my first post... I have been on here a lot, mostly looking at the pretty things, hah, but I thought I had posted stuff before, anyways, thanks!

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
How long did it take everyone to get their private Pilot's license? i'm frustrated it's been over 6 mos. and i haven't even solo'd yet.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Well I am only a few hours past soloing, and just getting into my cross country, and I started in the late summer. Its slow in the winter times, so when it gets warmer, I hope to plow through it in maybe 4 months, fund permitting,

Jesse

·
Registered
436 Posts
I work at a flight simulator company, CAE, and also for Bombardier Aerospace. My job requires me to fly simulators on a daily basis doing tests on the software.

Sims I fly regularely:
Embraer 170
Airbus 310
Airbus 330
Boeing 737
Global Express
Challenger 200/700/900/1000
Challenger 604/605

soon: Global Vision

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Change your school. Unless, you are being lazy and not studying lol
NO it's neither. I started in July and then in August we had our 2nd child so I really didn't fly for about a month and then I had my eye surgery which knocked me out another month and then I was told I could fly a lot in the winter but it's been terrible this winter and there has been like 5 days I could fly and with my hectic business schedule it hasn't worked at all. I"m working on my ground schooling but I find myself getting disinterested without the application.

·
Registered
36 Posts
How long did it take everyone to get their private Pilot's license? i'm frustrated it's been over 6 mos. and i haven't even solo'd yet.
How many total hours? How often a week are you flying? Have you asked this question of your instructor(s)?

If you are only flying once a week, or once every two weeks, it wouldn't surprise me it's been 6 months. Schedule yourself to fly at least 3 times a week, and hope you get in two.

Are your instructors on the "catch and release" program? That is, how many have you gone through? Same one? Two? Three? More? Every instructor (in primary training anyway) is pretty much going to assume you know jack squat, and will burn up a good bit of time dis-wading themselves of that opinion. Change instructors once a month or so, and you've got a problem. THIS one you should take up with the school.

IF you HAVE had the same instructor the whole time, then maybe it's time for a change. Hell, can't be any worse than it is now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
NO it's neither. I started in July and then in August we had our 2nd child so I really didn't fly for about a month and then I had my eye surgery which knocked me out another month and then I was told I could fly a lot in the winter but it's been terrible this winter and there has been like 5 days I could fly and with my hectic business schedule it hasn't worked at all. I"m working on my ground schooling but I find myself getting disinterested without the application.
**Edit: Mkgdrgn was faster then me at responding (ipad typing is sloooow), but I 100% agree with what he said, plus what I mentioned below :) **

All I can say is stick with it! It can be frustrating before you solo because a lot of people plateau in their progress. But, when you solo, I guarantee you will get even more insterested/excited about flying all over again :). I instructed for more then 4 years and had a lot of students, and what you are experiencing (balancing real life and your progress overall) is felt by every student at one point or another. I really was bored during the ground parts too, but I just grinded it out and kept thinking about my goals of getting my license(s). Maybe do one of these weekend ground schools where you get most of the book learning and your written out of the way in one shot.
Message me if you have any questions Or anything like that. Where are you flying out of?

I'm actually in your city for work tonight, Pit. I got a 24 hr overnight.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I am going to have to switch instructors for the second time within 8 hours of instruction between the two and it's getting old. I feel I am just waisting my hard earned high school job money. I want to finish before college, so I feel icant quit though. There are probably 6-8 students to just one plane, at the new flight school since the FBO changed. Not getting me closer to my s2000 either :/

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I'm a military pilot. Fly F/A-18c's out Miramar, CA. Have my civilian endorsements as well (multi-engine, commercial, instrument) I am actually looking to buy something like an Van's RV...Any suggestions?

Bro, you have the facking JOB!!! I'd take that job over any other in the world. And I'd do it for free. So awesome.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am going to have to switch instructors for the second time within 8 hours of instruction between the two and it's getting old. I feel I am just waisting my hard earned high school job money. I want to finish before college, so I feel icant quit though. There are probably 6-8 students to just one plane, at the new flight school since the FBO changed. Not getting me closer to my s2000 either :/
There is more than just one flight schools around the greater Cincy area. Check 'em out. Don't be afraid to drive for an hour (or more) to get to a quality instructor and airport.

Do not think that you have to learn under a Class C airspace and/or with a towered field. Radio work can always come later--right now, learn your stick/rudder skills, your CRM skills, your ground school, and start getting quality hours in your logbook.

Check out Claremont County, maybe. I don't know anything about it other than A) It's where Sporty's is located, B) Easy access, both by air and by car, C) no tower to deal with, D) well maintained facility.

Again, and I can't emphasize this enough, do NOT feel obligated or pressured to go with "certified flight schools." In my opinion, those are a huge waste of money--because their job is to make money, and they can do that even if they don't make pilots.

Best instructor you'll ever find will be some gray-haired retired military or airline aviator who sits in his lawn chair in front of his hangar in the afternoons talking with other gray-haired retired aviators. Those guys have seen it all, done it all, and more than once.

What's more, they're TRUE aviators who love airplanes and aviation and want to see more young people follow in their passion.

Go for it.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Thanks! I needed that. My pastor flies from the middletown airport, and he has been bugging me about the little school they have there. It is alot cheaper, just an extra 20 min drive. I may just have to go that route. Thanks I'll keep you updated!

Jesse

There is more than just one flight schools around the greater Cincy area. Check 'em out. Don't be afraid to drive for an hour (or more) to get to a quality instructor and airport.

Do not think that you have to learn under a Class C airspace and/or with a towered field. Radio work can always come later--right now, learn your stick/rudder skills, your CRM skills, your ground school, and start getting quality hours in your logbook.

Check out Claremont County, maybe. I don't know anything about it other than A) It's where Sporty's is located, B) Easy access, both by air and by car, C) no tower to deal with, D) well maintained facility.

Again, and I can't emphasize this enough, do NOT feel obligated or pressured to go with "certified flight schools." In my opinion, those are a huge waste of money--because their job is to make money, and they can do that even if they don't make pilots.

Best instructor you'll ever find will be some gray-haired retired military or airline aviator who sits in his lawn chair in front of his hangar in the afternoons talking with other gray-haired retired aviators. Those guys have seen it all, done it all, and more than once.

What's more, they're TRUE aviators who love airplanes and aviation and want to see more young people follow in their passion.

Go for it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Currently working on my PPL, going all the way to commercial. Learning on one of the most unique strips in the US, WV12 - Mallory. It's 2000x24 feet, Mountain on the right side, and a dog leg at the end of the runway. One of the instructors here has the most hours this side of the Mississippi, 41,000+. Great group of people with tons of experience. My father was a pilot and business partner in a local charter, and I'm looking to go down the same route, or corporate.

YouTube - Landing WV12 Mallory Airport, South Charleston, WV

·
Registered
56 Posts
Working on my private pilot's. My dad and my brother have their PPLs, and are working on their instruments. My uncle's got his PPL, instrument, and multi-engine. Our whole family flies GA.

I like to think we've got a good sized small fleet...

·
Registered
399 Posts
Currently working on my helicopter PPL and looking to go through to Commercial and CFI. I'm at 12.5 hours and my instructor said I'd be good for a solo flight before 20 hours! A couple more weeks !!!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
If helicopter lessons cost the same as an airplane, I would probably have chosen the helicopter haha.
That's awesome. What kind of chopper are you in? R44?

101 - 120 of 132 Posts