Luxury4Play.com banner

81 - 100 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
C172 with the 180 conversion

50% finished with pilots licence training, but winter weather has me unmotivated. Also did you guys take ground school?
Yes on the ground school ... you have to be "signed off" by someone (at least you did in 1992) in order to take the written. I would suggest you get the written out of the way as quick as you can if you haven't taken it already.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am not a pilot, but my dad is as a hobby. He and about a dozen other people own two planes:

N9603Q: A Cessna Skyhawk, and
N236PR: A Piper Dakota.

And together, these 12 (or so) are the CT Flyers, based out of Chester Airport.

I don't have a license, but I wish I did. I really love flying, but I haven't got the time or the money right now to get lessons/certification. *sigh* it's unfortunate. BUT, I will without doubt one day get it. When I do, I'm sure I'll buy a Cub as my first plane.

·
Registered
570 Posts
cubs are pretty cheap. you can get a knockoff cub even cheaper. then as far as operating costs you are gonna be hard pressed to find anything cheaper. 4gal/hr is about as low as it gets. of course you only get about 70kts out of it but thats not the point

·
Registered
395 Posts
Piper cubs are cool as hell, my uncle restored one many years ago and it was a fun plane to fly.

I have flown and piloted small planes (without a license) and grew up around airplanes, I love aviation

·
Registered
84 Posts
Anyone here read "Flight of Passage" by Rinker Buck? Ya, that'd be cool to do. Restore an old Cub then fly it cross-country with my brother. That was a great book, if you haven't read it, do. Now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah I have some vans rv experience. I have my privates and have been flyin for 3 years. I've flown all the rvs and am building an rv-4

·
Registered
73 Posts
So I finally decided to get my PPL. Due to weather conditions havent gone up yet but am reading the Jeppesen book and FAR/AIM 2011. Any advice on what to expect on my first flight? Also what are some of the challenges that you faced when getting the PPL outside of money?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Well, having almost gotten mine, the things that kept ME from just plowing through lessons would be:

1. Weather/location.Cincinnati in the winter time is especially bad for flying with all the lousy windy and cold weather. Warmer states get more flying time I imagine.
2. Crowded schedule. For my flying school, there is one plane, and that means every day is booked unless you get scheduled repeatedly far ahead.
3. Lack of funds.

I suggest as most probably would, try to get a lesson in once or twice a week. I started out at twice a week for a while, then fell back to once a week.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I was learning years ago back during high school, but ever since I got to college, I haven't been. I'm still quite a bit away from getting my license, but I'm definitely going to get back at it someday soon. Love flying so much!

·
Registered
803 Posts
For those of you trying to get your PPL. Let me say that it's never what you are quoted, and you most probably won't finish it in the few hours they tell you can. Most students spend over 10K and 100 hours before they receive their PPL.

However, I hadn't known that piece of info back when I started and can only learn from my mistakes and tell you eager student pilots to approach this expensive hobby/career from a more intelligent view.

#1. Find a school that has a fun environment and is interested in teaching rather than making money off of you. (Good Luck!)
#2. Set aside money (about 12K) or pay along as you go (depends on how healthy your pocket is)
#3. Take an introductory flight and schedule 1 flight a month while you gather your books and start studying.
#4. Do all your ground school studying and prepare for your FAA written. The moment a school finds out you have money to burn on this, they may take advantage of that.
#5. After passing your FAA written, sit down with the School Manager/Director and figure out a completion price. You have a better chance of negotiating a better price especially if money is tight after you pass your written exam.
#6. Schedule flights 3-4 times a week to finish up and pass that Check Ride.
#7. Very Important - Make sure you don't get too serious to where you are not having fun, but serious enough to stay diligent and finish up.

Happy Flying!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am not a pilot, but my dad is as a hobby. He and about a dozen other people own two planes:

N9603Q: A Cessna Skyhawk, and
N236PR: A Piper Dakota.

And together, these 12 (or so) are the CT Flyers, based out of Chester Airport.

I don't have a license, but I wish I did. I really love flying, but I haven't got the time or the money right now to get lessons/certification. *sigh* it's unfortunate. BUT, I will without doubt one day get it. When I do, I'm sure I'll buy a Cub as my first plane.
Damn, small world, just happened to click this thread at work, and read this post.. I grew up in Chester across the street from Cedar lake.. my first girlfriend lived in Killingworth and I used to ride my bike to her house and pass the Chester airport all the time :)

·
Registered
570 Posts
i agree with everything skycap said. the more often you fly the fewer hours it will take you to finish and therefore the less money it will cost you. good luck its the best hobby there is.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Lightweight!! Your gif at the bottom is the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
One of the best shots of top gear ever

And no way! I saw those previews on TV! I was interested in that show!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm a pilot. I currently fly of the airlines.

I got Private Pilot, Instrument, Multi-engine, Instrument-instructor, multi-instructor, several jet ratings (Citation II, Beechjet, Challengers), and a bunch more.

Flying for work is bitter sweet because it is still a job and it takes a bit of fun out of it. I wish I had a sweet, well paying, job that could allow me to fly for fun as a hobby. Although going up everyday for work sure beats sitting in an office :)

Some of my flying pics

At Oshkosh, such fun!

An old picture

81 - 100 of 132 Posts