Luxury4Play.com banner

61 - 80 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
just thought I'd add to this thread...i'm currently about 18hrs into flying and probably 6-8hrs from solo. Just need to work on some more stalls and landings
Good for you! WRT your solo, you'll be SHOCKED how much better the plane flies when you get rid of that dead weight in the right hand seat. :D

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I've wanted to fly in the Air Force since I was 5 or 6...suck I had seizures when I was younger, pretty much certain it disqualifies me even they have been gone for years and w/o being on meds.

I'd love love love to fly an F-15E

·
Registered
12 Posts
just thought I'd add to this thread...i'm currently about 18hrs into flying and probably 6-8hrs from solo. Just need to work on some more stalls and landings
Heh heh. Has your instructor drilled and grilled you on the dreaded "slip stall spin" that so many young/student pilots flirt dangerously close with turning base to final?

The two places I'm most careful about attitude and airspeed are on departure and base-to-final. I've lost several friends to stalls on both.

Let us know when you solo. No feeling like it. I still remember my solo--better than I remember my own wedding day, and the solo was way before. :)

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Heh heh. Has your instructor drilled and grilled you on the dreaded "slip stall spin" that so many young/student pilots flirt dangerously close with turning base to final?

The two places I'm most careful about attitude and airspeed are on departure and base-to-final. I've lost several friends to stalls on both.

Let us know when you solo. No feeling like it. I still remember my solo--better than I remember my own wedding day, and the solo was way before. :)
no I actually struggle with stalls a bit. The first few times we were practicing them I started us into a spin and it spooked me so i've laid off of them for a while. I would have like to have been further in my training by now but we had an addition to the family 2 months ago and I got real busy at work so flying took a back seat. I'm getting excited again though. I just went up in my uncles cirrus sr-20 gts and had a blast. I would love to own that plane...well actually the 22 but either would be fine with me. sure beats my 1970 172 trainer

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yeah, Anything by Cirus is better than alot of planes. I would love to own a Mooney one day.

Ive never had a problem with base to final. I always kept just a little more altitude than i was supposed to. Whenever I needed to transition from one leg to another I let the nose drop more than it was suposed to. It kept the airspeed up and bled away the extra altitude. If I ended up with too much speed I would just hold altitude till it slowed up. That way I still had my saftey margin. If you come out of the turn at the right speed you can just pull a little power and fall quicker to get rid of the altitude.

You can always trade one thing for another with an airplane.

And honestly I do remember my solo too, it was over 16 years ago. You will havnthe biggest smile and the most wonderful feeling of accomplishment somewhere around 300 feet. It never goes away. You just want to fly bigger and faster planes alot higher after that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
no I actually struggle with stalls a bit. The first few times we were practicing them I started us into a spin and it spooked me so i've laid off of them for a while. I would have like to have been further in my training by now but we had an addition to the family 2 months ago and I got real busy at work so flying took a back seat. I'm getting excited again though. I just went up in my uncles cirrus sr-20 gts and had a blast. I would love to own that plane...well actually the 22 but either would be fine with me. sure beats my 1970 172 trainer
Spins and Stalls are one of the reasons I'm soooo grateful for the time I spent at SkyWarriors in Atlanta. If you didn't stall the airplane, you were not trying hard enough, so stalls/spins became 2nd nature. In fact, a controlled spin could work to your advantage in an escape.

The T34 got it's best turn rate rigghhhttt on the edge of a stall ... "mice dancing on the wings". Pull just a weeee bit harder and you would transition to "elephants dancing on the wings", and you would stall.

My primary flight instructor taught me how do "drive" and airplane (and did a damn good job I think), but SkyWarriors taught me how to "fly" one ... big difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ive never had a problem with base to final. I always kept just a little more altitude than i was supposed to. Whenever I needed to transition from one leg to another I let the nose drop more than it was suposed to. It kept the airspeed up and bled away the extra altitude. If I ended up with too much speed I would just hold altitude till it slowed up. That way I still had my saftey margin. If you come out of the turn at the right speed you can just pull a little power and fall quicker to get rid of the altitude.

You can always trade one thing for another with an airplane.
I can get away with that in my 172 and its 40 degrees of flaps. Can sometimes get away with it in Taylorcraft we're restoring. Can't get away with it at all in the Lancair we're building

Can't get away with it in the T210 either. I'm having to bleed off airspeed ten/fifteen miles away from the airport before I enter either the crosswind or downwind leg. In the downwind, I'm hanging the gear out and getting ready to put out a notch of flaps (usually 10 degrees).

The Lancair is a slippery little hotrod, and the Centurian is pretty slippery too--plus, it's heavy so any nose-down attitude on short-final picks up the airspeed.

But if you really want to know why that's a bad technique, ask the Mooney drivers. You have to nail your airspeed on final because otherwise if you don't, you're either gonna thump or you're gonna float. :) Ask me how I know this and how many times it took to learn it. :whistle:

The runway at our private airport/public use is a bit under 4,000 feet and 60' wide. Plenty adequate for us, but we've had more than one pilot turn away and opt for a "safer" runway (translation: Minimum of 5,000' length, 100' width).

Big thing is to NEVER cross-control the airplane on base/base-to-final. The temptation to give a little rudder to "ease the nose on over" in alignment with the runway is pretty tempting to new pilots as well as infrequent and/or lowtime pilots. Resist that urge.

If you're not squared up and stable as you're coming up on the numbers, do a go-around. Forget anyone on the ground watching you. A go-around is a lot less of a spectator event than a botched landing or crash is.

A lot is made up over landings, but the key is to be smooth and consistent and fly the airplane--don't let it fly you.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Did my Commercial Single in an M20C out of a 2400'x50' runway next to power lines. Our final has a dogleg because of them and they have to cut a groove in the trees accross the street at that end for us to shoot final "between".

And those rubber discs on the gear do nothing but bounce you if you try and force a fast landing. Floats more than a boat. And I loved every one of those landings.

It was the first plane ive ever flown with a positive angle of attack all the way to the runway.

Your comment on cross-controling is spot on. Its missing that point right there that usually kills people.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Did my Commercial Single in an M20C out of a 2400'x50' runway next to power lines. Our final has a dogleg because of them and they have to cut a groove in the trees accross the street at that end for us to shoot final "between".
Our runway is 3700x60, and as we say, "long and wide enough for us, but short and narrow enough to keep the riff raff out." There are a couple of Duke drivers out there, and they have to plan ahead a little on hot summer days to be at blue-line by end of runway.

We've got a couple of King-Airs that fly in regularly with no problems--both of them are retired Navy sticks, so anything longer than 150 meters or so that isn't pitching up and down or rolling is good by them.

And those rubber discs on the gear do nothing but bounce you if you try and force a fast landing. Floats more than a boat. And I loved every one of those landings.

It was the first plane ive ever flown with a positive angle of attack all the way to the runway.

Your comment on cross-controling is spot on. Its missing that point right there that usually kills people.
I gotta lot of respect for Mooney drivers who nail their landings. Fast, slippery airplane with lots of wing and as you said, "rubber disc shocks" on the mains.

That cross-controlling on base/final. . . bad juju.

I finished my first solo about a month ago. Want to get it done with by the new year.
Congrats and stay after it. You'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Our runway is 3700x60, and as we say, "long and wide enough for us, but short and narrow enough to keep the riff raff out."
You would love my "home field" for the first 12+ years of my flying then. Laurel Suburban, W18, Laurel Maryland. 2200 x 35, with the "FAA standard" 50' trees on all 4 sides. Think of it as a "reverse Mohawk haircut" into the forest.

Oh, and did I mention it was under a Class B, so you couldn't fly higher than 1500' over it? Oh, and that the Washington DC "Circle of Doom" (where they scramble fighter jets to look for you) is just under 2 miles from the end of the runway?

Fun times.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You would love my "home field" for the first 12+ years of my flying then. Laurel Suburban, W18, Laurel Maryland. 2200 x 35, with the "FAA standard" 50' trees on all 4 sides. Think of it as a "reverse Mohawk haircut" into the forest.

Oh, and did I mention it was under a Class B, so you couldn't fly higher than 1500' over it? Oh, and that the Washington DC "Circle of Doom" (where they scramble fighter jets to look for you) is just under 2 miles from the end of the runway?

Fun times.
There is a catfish joint up on the Red River that used to have a runway like that. Finally closed it after too many planes and pilots got bent up beyond repair.

That DC ADIZ is a pain in the azz all the way around. One more reason I avoid the entire airspace AND area. NY Center and Boston Center are already tough enough to deal with when I'm on trips up to NH and ME.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That DC ADIZ is a pain in the azz all the way around. One more reason I avoid the entire airspace AND area. NY Center and Boston Center are already tough enough to deal with when I'm on trips up to NH and ME.
One of the multitude of reasons I left there and moved to SC.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Our runway is 3700x60, and as we say, "long and wide enough for us, but short and narrow enough to keep the riff raff out." There are a couple of Duke drivers out there, and they have to plan ahead a little on hot summer days to be at blue-line by end of runway.
Great quote. I am plugging away trying to find these magic hours so well see.

There is a catfish joint up on the Red River that used to have a runway like that. Finally closed it after too many planes and pilots got bent up beyond repair.
Where? I have an interest in closed fields in MD.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got my Private in 1995 during my senior sear of High School and didn't get back to flying until 2006(IFR). Just finished up my Commercial back in August. Did almost all of my cross country time in a Beech Duchess. For the same costs, I could have did it all in a c172 and logged much more time. But, what can I say....I love flying twins! And Multi time is more valuable. #1 killer of private pilots is inadvertent flight into IMC! So for anyone thinking about learning to fly, start your instrument rating as soon as you finish your private! It will save your life and make you a much better aviator!!!!

75% of people who begin flight training never receive their ticket...

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
C172 with the 180 conversion

50% finished with pilots licence training, but winter weather has me unmotivated. Also did you guys take ground school?

61 - 80 of 132 Posts