Luxury4Play.com banner

41 - 60 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ahhhh, A-4 Skyhawk. If I was ever cursed with enough money that I -had- to buy a Jet Warbird ... that one would be on the short list.

·
Registered
12 Posts
@ TexasFlyer

Either buying them or managing them. I would love to get a small business started just housing, maintaining and preping those aircraft for flights.
Jon Jon,

I found out artherd is Ben Cannon (he signs his name here) and I did some checking with AOPA and several California aviation groups, FBOs and flight schools as well as with the FAA Airman's Registry.

This guy isn't on anyone's radar, payroll, rental or prep operations.

I doubt he's buying them as aviation is not cheap to get into--even the small single engine (piston) used GA fleet has a normal entry price of around $50K for anything airworthy, current (in annual) and with even semi-decent avionics.

We sold our Cessna 182, a beautifully restored classic straight-tail with a freshly TBO'd Continental, and bought a (bit) newer 172 when avgas topped $3/gallon and gave all indications it would not only stay there, but go even higher (we paid $7.82/gallon in Rochester, New York (KROC) two years ago). Gave up around 20 knots airspeed for almost doubled fuel economy. Gave up some load-hauling capability as well, but it's normally only my wife and I or myself and our teenage daughter.

We own our hangar at a private airport open for public use. The hangar holds our three airplanes easily (Cessna, RV8 and the Taylorcraft we're restoring), has an air-conditioned office and lounge, a full bathroom complete with a shower and a huge upstairs area where we're building a two-bedroom, two bath apartment.

It's a pretty standard hangar outside of the T-hangars and the county appraises it (for tax value) at just shy of $250,000. Add in the airplanes and you almost double that investment.

And that's just for small "flib" bugsmasher GA airplanes.

It takes a pile of cash to "buy and/or manage" fleet aircraft, most of which are either light piston twins or kerosene burners (turbine). A mid-1980's Beechcraft Raytheon King Air C-200 with mid-time range on the engines and 5000 starts/landings will still set you back over $2 million. A Pilatus (single engine turbine business class) will set you back anywhere from $3 million to $5 million.

Those are the classes of airplanes you "buy and/or manage" to make money. It's almost impossible to make money buying/managing small general aviation aircraft unless you already have the overhead paid for (as in our instance as the hangar is completely paid for, as are all three airplanes) and you can do much of, if not most of the maintenance yourself.

The Cessna T210 we're looking at to buy early next spring will cost us just on average between $1000 and $5000 every year for the annual (inspection). Then you have the IFR certification for your instrument panel, etc etc.

TBO an engine? That cost is anywhere from a bare minimum $15,000 to upwards of $50,000 depending on the engine. A turbine engine? Try half-a-million bucks to replace it.

FARs dictate much stricter maintenance and 100-hour inspections for "fleet" aircraft, so that eats into your "buy and/or manage" costs as well.

Only two things I have that cost me more than our airplanes--my (Sea Ray) boat and my teenage daughter. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Jon Jon,

I found out artherd is Ben Cannon (he signs his name here) and I did some checking with AOPA and several California aviation groups, FBOs and flight schools as well as with the FAA Airman's Registry.

This guy isn't on anyone's radar, payroll, rental or prep operations.
The only "radar' he is on is the local "bunko" squad .... that and the hundreds of people he's ripped off with GPal.

Ben is no more 'into aviation' than I am 'into Cameron Diaz'.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ahhhh, A-4 Skyhawk. If I was ever cursed with enough money that I -had- to buy a Jet Warbird ... that one would be on the short list.
Fun jet to fly. Very nice roll rate (720 deg/sec). Tight cockpit, fun to bring aboard the boat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Fun jet to fly. Very nice roll rate (720 deg/sec). Tight cockpit, fun to bring aboard the boat.
You Naval and Marine aviators were crazy.

A good friend of mine at our airport (who also owns an immaculate, gorgeous, beautiful, breathtaking Mooney) flew A4's in Southeast Asia. He has some tales to tell and even has some footage of him making a few carrier landings.

No. Thank. You.

At least landing on a carrier, the good news is you should never have a cross wind. Bad news is, your runway is NOT supposed to move up and down, or worse yet, ROLL.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yeah I definitly am not thinking of purchasing anything.

Not to long ago I knew a guy who got a few people together to purchase a CJ2 and hire him on as the pilot and manager. Whenever they call, he preps and flys the plane and makes sure its compliant.

Thats what I am reffering to. I could do that with my eyes closed and love every minute of it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not to long ago I knew a guy who got a few people together to purchase a CJ2 and hire him on as the pilot and manager. Whenever they call, he preps and flys the plane and makes sure its compliant.
Unless you've personally seen him prep the plane and fly it, I think Ben is lying to you.

He holds no airman's certificate whatsoever--not as an ATP to maintain and prep for Part 135 or Part 91. He sure as hell holds no airman's certificate to operate (fly) ANY aircraft. He is not even listed as having been a Student Pilot.

The FAA Airman's Certificate Inquiry database has all U.S. licensed pilots, including Student Pilots, listed in its registry along with their ratings, type-ratings, date of (certificate/license) issue, etc.

Ben Cannon (Benjamin Phillip Cannon) is nowhere on that list.

Maybe he could provide some details as to his certificate information?

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Got my commercial, instrument, multi as well as my CFI/CFII
Sitting at just under the 1k mark and biding my time as an instructor for the University of North Dakota until I can get hired at a regional.
I really wouldnt do anything else for a job, yeah some day it does feel like a job but then you take off and all your problems and stresses wash away, until the student has to land anyways.
thats funny. my dad was an Instructer at UND back in the day also. he also learned how to fly there.
How are you liking GF?

do you guys still have that super computer in the aviation dept?
I used to play basketball right across from the aviation building.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't -think- he is talking about Ben.

If he -is- talking about Ben, then I can assure you it's all a fraud. Ben is a con man, nothing more, nothing less. He poses as doing everything but actually -does- nothing. (well, nothing except the conning you out of your money part...)

Unless you've personally seen him prep the plane and fly it, I think Ben is lying to you.

He holds no airman's certificate whatsoever--not as an ATP to maintain and prep for Part 135 or Part 91. He sure as hell holds no airman's certificate to operate (fly) ANY aircraft. He is not even listed as having been a Student Pilot.

The FAA Airman's Certificate Inquiry database has all U.S. licensed pilots, including Student Pilots, listed in its registry along with their ratings, type-ratings, date of (certificate/license) issue, etc.

Ben Cannon (Benjamin Phillip Cannon) is nowhere on that list.

Maybe he could provide some details as to his certificate information?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't -think- he is talking about Ben.
I think he was. Ben was making the same claims over on the Ferrari chat forum.

Ran into another pilot today who got hosed by Cannon via Gpal. This guy flies a (Dassault) Falcon for the Hunt Brothers and he had also seen several things on the internet from Cannon boasting about being PIC in a corporate jet.

He's putting the word out wth both the Airline Pilots Association and the California Pilots Association telling them to be on the lookout for this poser.

No telling how many different forums he's gone on, joined and then began separating people from their hard-earned money.

Bad thing is, I suppose, is that Cannon can lie all day long about being a corporate jet jockey and there is probably little than can be done. After all, it's not like the poser knows how to fly a jet--or any airplane for that matter.

·
Registered
335 Posts
thats funny. my dad was an Instructer at UND back in the day also. he also learned how to fly there.
How are you liking GF?

do you guys still have that super computer in the aviation dept?
I used to play basketball right across from the aviation building.
As winter approaches Now may not be the best time to ask me how I like GF :lol: . the winters get really old but despite that I could get used to it.... but i want more to do like in a bigger city. O well i love the job so it makes it worth while.
The super computer went byebye a while ago, it was replaced by a handful of servers that surprisingly where faster.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
As winter approaches Now may not be the best time to ask me how I like GF :lol: . the winters get really old but despite that I could get used to it.... but i want more to do like in a bigger city. O well i love the job so it makes it worth while.
The super computer went byebye a while ago, it was replaced by a handful of servers that surprisingly where faster.
the winter is the second worst season there....after spring when the melting snow creates huge floods...I was there for the biggest one of them all.

I am there one month out of every summer nowadays for business (farm equipment sales). nothing has changed there lol.

·
Registered
335 Posts
the winter is the second worst season there....after spring when the melting snow creates huge floods...I was there for the biggest one of them all.

I am there one month out of every summer nowadays for business (farm equipment sales). nothing has changed there lol.
This spring is looking to be a dusey, we just had a massive 3 day rain storm for about 3 inches of rain on an already waterlogged ground and the freeze is here already. Not to mention we are supposed to get more snow than usual this winter and the river never went back down to its "normal" stage at all this summer. All i know is that i will end up sand bagging this spring and Im ok with that

·
Registered
12 Posts
This spring is looking to be a dusey, we just had a massive 3 day rain storm for about 3 inches of rain on an already waterlogged ground and the freeze is here already. Not to mention we are supposed to get more snow than usual this winter and the river never went back down to its "normal" stage at all this summer. All i know is that i will end up sand bagging this spring and Im ok with that
Do you have any links to UND's aviation program you can provide? I ran into a USMC reservist (aviation mech) last week who is wanting to get into aviation, but would like to do it as a commissioned officer.

Is there an ROTC program there as well?

Most I know about North Dakota came from a three-day TDY I pulled in early spring guarding airplanes that had no engines, which was fair because I had a gun with no bullets. My wing commander enjoyed TDYing us to MAFB in lieu of LOCs or LORs, and I exhausted a couple of CO2 fire extinguishers one night trying to rapidly cool down some cases of beer we brought into the squadron for our Friday night "milk and cookies" poker party.

Thanks.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Do you have any links to UND's aviation program you can provide? I ran into a USMC reservist (aviation mech) last week who is wanting to get into aviation, but would like to do it as a commissioned officer.

Is there an ROTC program there as well?

Most I know about North Dakota came from a three-day TDY I pulled in early spring guarding airplanes that had no engines, which was fair because I had a gun with no bullets. My wing commander enjoyed TDYing us to MAFB in lieu of LOCs or LORs, and I exhausted a couple of CO2 fire extinguishers one night trying to rapidly cool down some cases of beer we brought into the squadron for our Friday night "milk and cookies" poker party.

Thanks.
John D. Odegard School of Aerospace Sciences - Department of Aviation -- Homepage
Theres a good place to start, if you have any more specific questions dont hesitate to send me a PM.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
just thought I'd add to this thread...i'm currently about 18hrs into flying and probably 6-8hrs from solo. Just need to work on some more stalls and landings

41 - 60 of 132 Posts