Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
iPhone 5 pics

With the rumors going around it is looking like the iPhone 5 should be out in Sep-Oct. The new Phone will hopefully have:
-dual core
-edge to edge large screen
-gesture around home button
-much thinner
-tapered back

If this picture is real, it looks like a win!

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Looks pretty cool. I'm a big fan of edge to edge screens, they just look more modern.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
it needs to HURRY...i'm so tired of my 3Gs...i need me some camera flash action, stat!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I am a die hard Android guy. I have the Droid X, an Asus Transformer, and the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1.

BUT.... I might be ditching my Droid X for the iPhone 5. The new notifications system in iOS 5 is sweet, and there's still a few apps that I wish I had on Android. I just wish Apple would implement widgets....

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
Ehh too much iPod appearance, the iPhone will never be as thin as the iPod touch.

·
Registered
191 Posts
wow that thing is slim.
One thing worries me about the slimness... NO 4G??? I hope the Verizon one has 4G capability...

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One thing worries me about the slimness... NO 4G??? I hope the Verizon one has 4G capability...
I'm being told it's not going to be 4G because the coverage isn't good enough yet, and Apple doesn't like to ship items that dont work to the full potential. Not enough coverage equals problems

·
Registered
826 Posts
it needs to HURRY...i'm so tired of my 3Gs...i need me some camera flash action, stat!
I'm still on my 3G, it'll be 3 years old in september...

4G? Why? Is there any operator ready for 4G? Even if they are running test sites, it'll be years before even the major cities will have basic coverage...
4G is fine if you need to transfer large amounts of data, but for a mobile phone, 4G is just useless.

·
Registered
6,214 Posts
there are like 10 pictures going around. all rendering and all rumors.

now the latest is Sept/Oct release and apple is supposidly making 5million phones for launch

·
Registered
191 Posts
4G? Why? Is there any operator ready for 4G? Even if they are running test sites, it'll be years before even the major cities will have basic coverage...
4G is fine if you need to transfer large amounts of data, but for a mobile phone, 4G is just useless.
A couple different reasons why.

1. Verizon's 4G LTE network is INSANELY faster than 3G. Why not have it?

2. It's already available in over 100 markets, and will be in over 175 by the end of 2011.

3. Most, if not all, of the upcoming Android phones will be running on LTE.

4. Facetime. You can't facetime over 3g, and wifi facetime only is lame.

5. 4G useless on a mobile phone? Youtube, streaming movies, graphic intense websites, Dropbox file transfers, cloud services, etc.

Having 4G LTE would not be a deal breaker, but it would handicap the phone compared to the upcoming Android beasts.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
iOS5 will allow for facetime over 3g and Verizon is pissed. They are wanting to make it only available for tiered data plans and Apple isn't thrilled with that. Their intent is for every iPhone user around the world to have all the same features.
Hope this doesn't delay the release any further.
FaceTime 3G for Verizon iPhone may be restricted to tiered data plans | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence

Verizon rumored wanting to limit FaceTime 3G to capped plans | Electronista
Nice. I knew you could do 3g facetime after jailbreaking, but I didn't know they were making it work out of the box. Thanks for that heads up and clarifying my mistake.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts

2. It's already available in over 100 markets, and will be in over 175 by the end of 2011.

5. 4G useless on a mobile phone? Youtube, streaming movies, graphic intense websites, Dropbox file transfers, cloud services, etc.

Having 4G LTE would not be a deal breaker, but it would handicap the phone compared to the upcoming Android beasts.
I would like to see 4g on the iPhone 5 and I don't even plan on ever purchasing it. A lot of android handsets already have it, coverage in major cities is pretty good, and it really is just that much faster. If it is still running on 3g I'm not sure how the phone can "revolutionize" the market as I'm sure apple will say it does. Plus I like to see the competition between iOS guys and android guys they need to be on a level 4g playing field.

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
I use FaceTime all the time on 3G and only once have I had any issue.

·
Registered
6,205 Posts

One deal breaker both you and I know Apple will not consider until it's fixed - 4G destroys your battery life. The few people I know who have 4G capable phones barely make it to 4 hours with 4G - that's stupid fast. A company built on innovation and simplicity will never sell a phone that can't last.

Keep in mind, in a country where every major provider is kicking the bucket for unlimited data (even our priceless Verizon), it'll cost us. And mind you, at least for me, 75% of the time I use my phone I'm in WiFi - both at home and work.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I was going to say there is no dock port.... but with the iCloud coming out it really might not matter. However, if thats the design you will have to buy another iPod for the car...

·
Registered
191 Posts
One deal breaker both you and I know Apple will not consider until it's fixed - 4G destroys your battery life. The few people I know who have 4G capable phones barely make it to 4 hours with 4G - that's stupid fast. A company built on innovation and simplicity will never sell a phone that can't last.
Ahhh, you just hit the nail on the head with that one. The battery life on the 4G phones is indeed horrid. The phone would have to be the thickness of a brick for it to last as long as an iPhone 4. Womp.

1 - 20 of 227 Posts