Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I inherited this watch, it was my Grandfather's and my Dad gave it to me for my birthday. He told me he wasn't sure of its value, but said I could put a new band on it and get it restored or try to sell it and pick up a newer piece. Not sure what I am going to do yet. Was going to at least get it appraised before making any kind of decision. It has a fair amount of wear showing so I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't worth much. Wound it slightly and it started right up, so it is still in working condition. Probably not serviced in quite some time.

Let me know your thoughts.

Hopefully these pictures are clear enough, had to make them smaller.

20140107_000126.jpg
20140107_000155.jpg
20140107_000223.jpg
20140107_000234.jpg
20140107_000245.jpg
20140107_000345.jpg
20140107_000357.jpg
20140107_000452.jpg

·
Registered
2,010 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Absolutely beautiful, a great company that was destroyed by becoming a must have luxury item in the Russian market. Look at how a small, tasteful house started making watches for peacocks. It is hard to say no to Russia, I get pressure from them to sell my products but what they provide in demand they make up for in paying tiny margins to the manufacturer.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
WOW! That is beautiful. I would never sell that. It is small by today's standard, and looks small on your wrist, but it is irreplaceable. Does it have your grandfather's name anywhere on the warranty card or any other papers?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Were you close to your grand father? My dad has a gold Omega Sea master that will be mine one day and although I am sorta close to my dad I will keep it. Wish it was an old double red Rolex though lol
I was close with him, my Dad him and I all have the same name so I have inherited a number of other things with our initials on it from watches to bar glasses. It is kind of interesting because we are in the jewelry business but he never wore a watch that had any sort of value. I never knew he had this until the other day, so it was quite a surprise.

WOW! That is beautiful. I would never sell that. It is small by today's standard, and looks small on your wrist, but it is irreplaceable. Does it have your grandfather's name anywhere on the warranty card or any other papers?
Of the papers I have related to the watch I do not see his name anywhere on them.

I am glad you guys appreciate this piece. I thought it was a very interesting one. I am trying to dig around and find out more about it as I really know nothing at the moment, so feel free to share anything you might know!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Don't restore it if you are going to sell it!
From what I hear that's a bad thing to do and will take value away.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Very nice watch. I would definitely keep it regardless of what you could get for it. That is a great story, having it passed down from your grand father to your father and now onto you. Money can't buy stuff like that.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Another vote to keep it. Don't restore it either.

Reactions: LaEnana

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another vote to keep it. Don't restore it either.
Just to be clear on what I mean by restore:

New strap, transfer the buckle
Have the gold cleaned
Have the crystal cleaned
Have the internals looked at and made sure everything is running well.

If you think I should have something else done or not have something done let me know.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Great piece!

I would also keep it.

I buy high end watches with the intention that some day I will pass them down to my kids and grandchildren. It's one of the few male family heirlooms we have to give. My father in law gave me an old Rolex he bought in middle east in the 60's. I'm not sure if it is real or not but it is one of my favorite and valued pieces.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I don't understand how people can sell family heirlooms. You paid nothing for it, and it belonged to someone in your family. That means a lot more than money.

I'm also in the don't restore it boat. As they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Don't sell just to fund a low-range, used piece that you'll see in every middle-income area. Have the movement serviced and leave it as-is.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am going to have the movement serviced, and the exterior cleaned as the strap is old and has tinted part of the gold. Then a new strap with the same buckle.

If anyone has a good shop recommendation for service and strap in the Chicago Loop I would be happy check it out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thought I would post an update. Bought a new strap, had it put on. I think it made a big difference in appearance.
Also have been wearing it for a while to see if its keeping time properly. So far so good.

Oh thought I should add in, it was somewhat difficult finding a strap. I had wanted to keep the original buckle with the watch and finding such a thin strap was difficult to do. After finally finding one I was relieved that it looked good with the watch.

Let me know what you think!

20140108_230648.jpg
20140108_230800.jpg

·
Registered
483 Posts
Glad you kept it.

UN was one of the first out of the ordinary luxury watch brands I was introduced to. I really like their minute repeaters, something about the whimsy of them is really interesting....makes them true art pieces imo.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts