Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I don't know a whole lot about boats. For those of you that have made boat purchases, what are some major things I need to look for? I know getting a survey done is very important, checking what docking is going to cost me and insurance... but what do I need to know beyond that?

Currently I'm looking at 1990-1994 Searay Sundancers 400-500; 85-130k. Anyone have any model specific details I should know about?

I think I'm about 18 months away from purchase. I'm just looking at the market now and getting an idea of what I would like.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
622 Posts
First off, I don't know a whole lot about boats. For those of you that have made boat purchases, what are some major things I need to look for? I know getting a survey done is very important, checking what docking is going to cost me and insurance... but what do I need to know beyond that?

Currently I'm looking at 1990-1994 Searay Sundancers 400-500; 85-130k. Anyone have any model specific details I should know about?

I think I'm about 18 months away from purchase. I'm just looking at the market now and getting an idea of what I would like.

Thanks in advance.
Maintenance and Repairs... Survey and Sea trial... One of the first boats I sold was a 34 Sea Ray. I suggest you buy as new and as well maintained as possible so you do not have a bad experience. I did a sold boats report and have found 1995-2000 40 ta 50 Sea rays (Sundancers, expresses and the Flybridge ones) that have sold in the 95 to 119K range. These style of boats the asking is usually high compared to what they sell for so you can definitely go newer if you like to.

Have you been on any before...?? Whats your experience/ skill level with boats? Where are you going to keep it? Oh ya and what would you like to do with the boat?

I really liked the 2001 34 Express I sold, the asking was in the 50s. Great starter boat, had a bow thruster and twin engine.. (That set up is nice)

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maintenance and Repairs... Survey and Sea trial... One of the first boats I sold was a 34 Sea Ray. I suggest you buy as new and as well maintained as possible so you do not have a bad experience. I did a sold boats report and have found 1995-2000 40 ta 50 Sea rays (Sundancers, expresses and the Flybridge ones) that have sold in the 95 to 119K range. These style of boats the asking is usually high compared to what they sell for so you can definitely go newer if you like to.

Have you been on any before...?? Whats your experience/ skill level with boats? Where are you going to keep it? Oh ya and what would you like to do with the boat?

I really liked the 2001 34 Express I sold, the asking was in the 50s. Great starter boat, had a bow thruster and twin engine.. (That set up is nice)
Thanks, that's great info! I kind of figured that there was some wiggle room in those prices, because like you mentioned, expensive boats just don't fly off the shelves.

I have basically zero experience. I've been on a few fishing boats and went on cruise this last January ahhahaha. I'm looking to dock it in Lake Meade (NV), so it's close to home and I can head out there and stay on the boat for days at a time. Mainly I want something roomy/liveable that my friends and I can cruise around on. I definitely like the Searay styling and think that a 44' would be the shortest I would want if the price was right. I have this crazy theory that I don't believe in 'starter' anything, except maybe motorcycles. Pick what you want and go for it ;)

For something this size, what is the typical moving cost per mile? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Take a look at Yachtworld.com and narrow down your search for the Sea Ray you like.. The cost of transport isnt as much about length but about beam. Try calling a couple transport companies with the make, model, LOA, Beam and displacement of the boat they should be able to give you a quote right there.

That size boat sounds like something that you will enjoy with the way you will use the boat. Just be careful this style of boat has gremlins running around.

Good Luck..

·
Registered
580 Posts
I've had quite a few boats (Performance Offshore) and actually found this site through the garage thread when it was posted to www.hotboat.com. Boat stands for Break Out Another Thousand and buying it is only half the cost. How mechanical are you? Do you like to clean? There's nothing more relaxing than being on your boat but at the same time, there's nothing more frustrating than not having time to relax on your boat. I know quite a few people on Mead but they're all running Cigarettes, Outerlimits, Skaters and Halletts. The good part is you have Sea Tow there and boating is much different on a lake (although Mead is choppy) than the Big Blue.

If you roll down from Vegas into Los Angeles, the owner of the SoCal Sea Ray dealer is a buddy of mine. If you have freinds with a boat, use theirs. :)

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mainly electrical (gremlins)?

Take a look at Yachtworld.com and narrow down your search for the Sea Ray you like.. The cost of transport isnt as much about length but about beam. Try calling a couple transport companies with the make, model, LOA, Beam and displacement of the boat they should be able to give you a quote right there.

That size boat sounds like something that you will enjoy with the way you will use the boat. Just be careful this style of boat has gremlins running around.

Good Luck..

Reactions: NstoutBMW

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I've always heard the two best days of owning a boat are the day you buy it and the day you sell it, hahah Money pits!!!

I love Outerlimits' boats, so awesome from the little I have seen. I'll check out hotboat.

I've had quite a few boats (Performance Offshore) and actually found this site through the garage thread when it was posted to www.hotboat.com. Boat stands for Break Out Another Thousand and buying it is only half the cost. How mechanical are you? Do you like to clean? There's nothing more relaxing than being on your boat but at the same time, there's nothing more frustrating than not having time to relax on your boat. I know quite a few people on Mead but they're all running Cigarettes, Outerlimits, Skaters and Halletts. The good part is you have Sea Tow there and boating is much different on a lake (although Mead is choppy) than the Big Blue.

If you roll down from Vegas into Los Angeles, the owner of the SoCal Sea Ray dealer is a buddy of mine. If you have freinds with a boat, use theirs. :)

·
Registered
622 Posts
Yeah, I've always heard the two best days of owning a boat are the day you buy it and the day you sell it, hahah Money pits!!!

I love Outerlimits' boats, so awesome from the little I have seen. I'll check out hotboat.
Unfortunately sometimes that is true. People need to remember you are taking a man made item and placing it in the worst conditions in the world. The whole boat is hot, cold, vibrations, salt water, sun and thrown around at sea. At least a race car gets a nice garage.. Lol..

·
Registered
580 Posts
And let's not forget load on the engine. Maintenance would be just as often on your car if you drove Los Angeles to Vegas at wide open throttle in 2nd gear.

·
Registered
244 Posts
When you get back, Ill take you out on my boat. Im actually going to put it up for sale to get a bigger and faster one. This was my "starter boat", hahaha. Its a HTM SR24 with a 540BBC and a 8-71 Blower. It will do 118-120 on the water with current prop. I LOVE MTI's but might be well out of my price range for the MTI I want. Also keeping an eye on the DCB M35..

Aloha,
Will

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like a plan!

Man, those MTIs are nice. How long have you had your HTM?

When you get back, Ill take you out on my boat. Im actually going to put it up for sale to get a bigger and faster one. This was my "starter boat", hahaha. Its a HTM SR24 with a 540BBC and a 8-71 Blower. It will do 118-120 on the water with current prop. I LOVE MTI's but might be well out of my price range for the MTI I want. Also keeping an eye on the DCB M35..

Aloha,
Will

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I love the truck! That's the way to do it, I just saw a good deal on a Kodiak recently and was like if I buy a boat... that's how I'll pull it!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Boat plans got bumped back further tonight. I bought my dad a '50 Merc

_57.jpg
_63.jpg

There's a thread about it in American Autos.

Reactions: vtiracing08

·
Registered
244 Posts
Thanks bro!! I love my Kodi, its pretty much one off. But I might be putting it up for sale in a week. HOA is getting a little bitchy about it. Plus it will open up space for another truck project.

The Merc is sick, congrats!! I think you might need some room at your place, so Ill happily take the Caddi or Malibu off your hands. hahaha!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
haha well the Merc is heading to FL, good try though ;)

What is the HOA complaining about?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hahahaha, it was worth a shot...I think one of the neighbors up the road complained since they didnt like "my kind" moving into the neighborhood. hahaha! But everyone else around me loves the truck. If it sells it sells, if not Im totally cool with it. :)

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm so glad I don't have an HOA. I don't think it would go over very well.

·
Registered
468 Posts
When you get back to looking just make sure you get the survey done and spend a lot of time really getting used to it on the water, 44' is a lot of boat to start with. I knew a guy that did the same thing and ended up destroying it trying to dock and even ran it into a damn buoy.

But mostly just spend time getting comfortable with it, especially in rough water the last thing you want to do is get caught up in something nasty and not know how to handle your boat in it. Go out with a few guys that have spent some serious time on the water and have them show you the ropes. With boats in that age look for something that has had a recent overhaul, repower, or at least updates.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts