Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
CBC News - British Columbia - Impounded $235K Ferrari to be sold

A $235,000 Ferrari that was seized by North Vancouver RCMP for street racing has become the most valuable vehicle forfeited to the province.

But while the government is selling off the valuable sports car under the province's civil forfeiture laws, the owner and the driver still stand to get back 80 per cent of the cash from the sale.

The blue 2008 Ferrari Scuderia was stopped by police on Sept. 25 racing up Mount Seymour with a BMW M6 in close pursuit. Both vehicles were travelling at an estimated speed of 200 km/h in a 60 km/h zone, according to police.

After the vehicles narrowly missed a woman and her two children, they were stopped and impounded by the RCMP. The drivers were given 15-day driving bans, and the government and the RCMP then seized the vehicles under the B.C.'s civil forfeiture laws.

"The kind of driving our member witnessed warranted a much more serious response than a ticket and temporary impoundment, and civil forfeiture allowed for that response," said North Vancouver RCMP Supt. Tonia Enger, in statement released by the government.
Government nets $100,000 in sale

On Tuesday the government announced it plans to sell the Ferrari to a dealership for $235,000, with 50 per cent of the cash from the sale going to the owner of the vehicle, who was not driving it at the time, 30 per cent going to the driver, and 20 per cent to the government.

The BMW will also be auctioned off under similar terms, with government expecting to recover a total of $100,000 from the sale of both vehicles, after expenses are covered.

"This is why the provincial government strengthened our civil forfeiture law a couple of years ago," Coleman said in the statement.

"When a vehicle has killed or injured someone, it's too late," he said. "Our laws now work to take vehicles away from reckless drivers before they hurt someone, because they are demonstrating no regard for the safety of themselves or others on our roads."

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/11/23/bc-ferrari-seized.html#ixzz16Ds4kTvw

·
Registered
366 Posts
wait, did I read that 30% of the sale price of the car is going to the driver of the car, WHO ISNT EVEN THE OWNER OF THE CAR?! He is essentially getting paid for getting busted street racing in someone else's Ferrari?

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
wait, did I read that 30% of the sale price of the car is going to the driver of the car, WHO ISNT EVEN THE OWNER OF THE CAR?! He is essentially getting paid for getting busted street racing in someone else's Ferrari?
yeah im still scratching my head over that...

·
Registered
248 Posts
I am glad the mother and her children are okay. The just thing is giving the proceeds from the sale of the Scud to the mother and split it with the state, not the owner and the driver.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I call BS on the claim of narrowly missing mother and children as a ploy by authorities to trump up the charges. See the photo of the road on Ferrarichat and its an unpopulated mountain road. No houses anywhere

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
so car sold for 235k, government nets 100k which is 20% of the sale proceeds?

who is doing the math here?
They figured in the sale price of the M6 as well, but I still don't see how that can net $100k for the government unless they took 53% of the proceeds from the M6:

Scud: 20% of 235K = $47k
M6: 20% of 100k = $20k

·
Registered
123 Posts
The way I feel is, if I cant have my car then no one will. Impounded or not, there would be a molotov cocktail tossed through the windshield right before its sale

·
Registered
245 Posts
Very fine line between simply speeding and racing.... So if a guy is driving whatever sports/performance car a bit over the limit and another stranger decides to tag along in his car is this now racing? Should the law start impounding a whole caravan of cars on any turnpike/highway that are all driving over the limit side by side? How does the law decide on which scenario is which? Too great of a financial difference between a simple speeding ticket and getting your expensive car impounded and confiscated for the poor souls who get caught...

·
Registered
633 Posts
Not sure about legalities in Canada, but you could get a lawyer in the US to block this sale in about 2 seconds I am sure, and I would imagine the same up there too since that is a very gray version of speeding IMO.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Being from Vancouver I've seen this story in the papers quite a few times, it's ALWAYS pretty unclear on any of the numbers(prices, percentages etc.)
Still have no idea what's going on with this...

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Not sure about legalities in Canada, but you could get a lawyer in the US to block this sale in about 2 seconds I am sure, and I would imagine the same up there too since that is a very gray version of speeding IMO.
this is what i am thinking. something doesnt add up with no injunction(s) being filed.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Like street racers with the line in the street and money on the line etc....yeah, but OJ was "red handed" too and we see what a good lawyer can do for you. So how do two dudes obviously with money or they wouldn't have those cars not have a lawyer on speed dial? And how do they allow their cars to get taken while driving in a straight line one behind the other? Maybe Canada doesn't have an appeals process for their justice system? I doubt it but that would seem easier to believe than the other way around.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts