Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this bike for almost a year now and it's time to change it up a bit. I am getting it Plasti Dipped in camo green.

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1382970971.313321.jpg

Here's a Camo Green Plasti Dip on an M3.

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1382970985.412831.jpg

Will post pics when it's done!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was going to take the farings off but they have rivets I do not want to break. Got it mostly taped up and prepped. The front fender and read sections are now off and will be sprayed today.

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1383073362.563643.jpg

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking forward to pics.
I will post more of progress and final results.

think it's gonna look sweet! I have a zx-6r as well so can't wait for pics..
Me too, thanks!

We decided the rims are going to be two difficulty to do right now. The red pin stripe on the black rims is only a sticker so I am just going to peel it off.

More pics to come!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hard to get a picture with the lighting. Will post better pics when it is done...

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1383176629.997110.jpg

·
Registered
545 Posts
Where did you get that green from?
Did you get rattle can?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Nice!

Where did you get that green from?
Did you get rattle can?
Yes it is rattle can plasti dip. This is one of their "camo" colors called Camo Green (they have tan and brown too). You can order any of their colors directly from their website.

Letting it dry all day today before I take it for a ride and get good pics. Speaking of drying and curing... How long should I wait before washing it? My bike is dirty (obviously I cleaned and prepped the areas that were dipped) so I want to give her a good detail. Also I have use a pressure washer in the past on motorcycles, I am guessing that would blast the dip off?

Reactions: Dr3am3r

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
I drove mine after i got done peeling the car... about 2 hours...

i would recommend using some spray wax on it so it doesn't scratch. the stuff is tough so dont worry about it

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Still haven't cleaned it up but here are some pics. Not as durable as I was hoping as my jacket and pants mark up on the tank.
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1383945358.948419.jpg
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1383945373.281166.jpg
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1383945440.799344.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Plastidip is not very durable at all. Scratches easily. I wouldn't have sprayed it in spots that will continually get rubbed on (like the tank). Looks cool tho

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Just a quick update guys: After getting a scratch on the tank (knife in my pocket scratched it when I was unloading it from my truck) and noticing a few other imperfections, I am going to redip it. My "buddy" that helped me do it at first did a decent job, but did not take the fairings off so there is some overspray. Also I think he only did 2-3 coats which is why the smallest road debris causes it to chip.

With that said, I had a professional take the front clip off for me and I will be redoing the whole thing. I am completely redoing the tank, then adding coats to the other parts. I plan on doing around 6 coats total. Now that it is in my hands, there will be PLENTY of pictures to come! Going to give her a deep clean while everything is off and then begin the respraying process.

EDIT: anyone else having issues with uploading photos from the AutoGuide mobile app?

·
I am L4P.
21,656 Posts
Plastidip is not very durable at all. Scratches easily. I wouldn't have sprayed it in spots that will continually get rubbed on (like the tank). Looks cool tho
I've had no problems with it. I have 6 coats on my roof, and it's been lasting through the Colorado winter just fine. We are going to have to redo the plastidip on my wife's wheels soon though, because it's just now starting to peel away. We've had 2 sets of tires put on that set of rims since they've been dipped, so I'd say lasting through 2 new sets of tires is pretty damn good. You'd think it would have started to peel a long time ago.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It is actually quite durable. The more coats the better. I got a few chips, but I think there was only 3 or 4 coats of PlastiDip. I am going for 6-8 coats this time around. Pics to come later today...

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
I've had no problems with it. I have 6 coats on my roof, and it's been lasting through the Colorado winter just fine. We are going to have to redo the plastidip on my wife's wheels soon though, because it's just now starting to peel away. We've had 2 sets of tires put on that set of rims since they've been dipped, so I'd say lasting through 2 new sets of tires is pretty damn good. You'd think it would have started to peel a long time ago.
I had it on 2 different cars, it holds up pretty good depending on the number of coat you use, but wheels last about a year or so before they start peeling or chipping. Mine were in the lug nut holes from an impact gun.

I knew the OP didn't use 6, but even with 6 coat, I still think we have an issue on his tank where his jacked rubs. The thing that affects plastidip the most is heat, it makes it softer, so the continued rubbing on the tank from his jacket constantly against it will eventually make it wear again. I would put one of those tank guard pieces over the plastidip or plastip around it if it were mine.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Reactions: vtiracing08
1 - 20 of 26 Posts