Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I owe me a 10 second car. And it won't really be a 10 second car. Actually I'm just looking into picking up a cheap s2000, you might see my camaro in the for sale section, basically I'm planning on offloading that this spring and picking up a ~$10k (what I'm comfortable just laying down in cash) 2000-2004 AP1 s2k. Basically looking for a car I'm comfortable doing my own work on again. Downsides are, I know in this price range s2k's are a little limited and have higher miles, but since we will be moving to a house with a garage I'm sort of excited to get something I can tinker with. I was just looking for any advice on what to look for, or if anyone had a horror story. I've been lurking s2ki.com and think I have a pretty good handle, I just want to cover all my bases.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Well, I owe me a 10 second car. And it won't really be a 10 second car. Actually I'm just looking into picking up a cheap s2000, you might see my camaro in the for sale section, basically I'm planning on offloading that this spring and picking up a ~$10k (what I'm comfortable just laying down in cash) 2000-2004 AP1 s2k. Basically looking for a car I'm comfortable doing my own work on again. Downsides are, I know in this price range s2k's are a little limited and have higher miles, but since we will be moving to a house with a garage I'm sort of excited to get something I can tinker with. I was just looking for any advice on what to look for, or if anyone had a horror story. I've been lurking s2ki.com and think I have a pretty good handle, I just want to cover all my bases.
You're not comfortable doing work on a Camaro? You couldn't find an easier car to work on.

Reactions: Derek JCS and pip

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're not comfortable doing work on a Camaro? You couldn't find an easier car to work on.
Let me rephrase that, I'm not comfortable p*ssing away my warranty just so I can tinker on my car. But at the same time I'm not going to make payments on a car unless it has a warranty. I guess another important point is I have sort of been craving a rwd vert ever since I got rid of my vert rx7 and then my t-top firebird.

Now before you jump in to say I shouldn't have financed a car in the first place, or I shouldn't have reached beyond my budget I want to remind you that 1. I can comfortably continue to make payments, but ridding myself of them would allow me to get into a house much much closer to the beach. And anyways, that isn't what this thread is meant to be about.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
a few friends of mine used to have an s2k. fun little cars and easy to work on, parts-a-plenty and relatively inexpensive. best of luck in your search, i am sure you will have fun when you pick one up.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
great cars but a good one for 10 doesnt exist. its going to be a $14k no matter what

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
great cars but a good one for 10 doesnt exist. its going to be a $14k no matter what
I'm not looking for a good one :wink: that may sound weird, but in addition to the 10k, I'm anticipating around 4k for some suspension parts and some engine maintenance. Basically I'm looking for a fairly high mileage example. I plan to go turbo with it in a couple of years or so, so I'll be putting together a new power plant anyways. I'm really looking forward to doing this, I think it will be a lot of fun, and as previously mentioned, particularly in southern cali parts are pretty easy to come by.

I think the go-kart aspect of a roadster is just enticing me, plus a car that will fit in compact spots. I actually went and test drove an mx-5 the other day, but I couldn't bring myself to commit to a miata.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I would say parts aren't inexpensive. To me, they aren't fun without boost, and I prefer the look of the hardtop(which they don't make anymore), so you'll have to source one...That's over $5k right there. Add coilovers, and other suspension stuff, brakes...exhaust...all pretty pricey for good parts that wouldn't ruin the car. An intake, header isn't gonna net you any power.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I would say parts aren't inexpensive. To me, they aren't fun without boost, and I prefer the look of the hardtop(which they don't make anymore), so you'll have to source one...That's over $5k right there. Add coilovers, and other suspension stuff, brakes...exhaust...all pretty pricey for good parts that wouldn't ruin the car. An intake, header isn't gonna net you any power.
Why...would...I...buy...a....hardtop in San Diego....

As far as other parts go, I'm planning around 2k on coilovers and probably 8-9k all said and done for a turbo kit/engine work. At the end of the day I don't really expect this to be much cheaper if at all than my Camaro with payments is, but I get to do the work, and I get a stupid fun RWD 6-speed convertible I can take to the track out of it. The 4k I was referring to is going to be shocks, and miscellaneous junk associated with buying a high mileage car.

·
Registered
159 Posts
My bro had an s2k for a few years. Wicked fun car to drive, but definitely feels down on power stock IMO. Things to look out for;

Retainers; The factory retainers were prone to cracking in the F20C.

Trans; stock, no worries...with some boost youll shred gearsets, particularly second gear apparently.

Diff; weak from the factory, you can break it stock if you get into a good bog coming off the line.

Other than those few things, theyre a sweet car. Ive been playing with the idea myself of picking up a cheap one, and just throw a thick headgasket and studs in it, maybe a 37r and let er buck. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
I prefer S2k with hard top as well.

I also prefer S2K with LS V8 lol. That is the only way to build that car. Screw boosting the stock motor, you'll spend a hell of a lot more money buying another S2K motor and doing a Turbo application to make the stock hp level of an LS1. No better feeling than torque IMO

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Because I absolutely love the way these look with a hardtop...that's just me though. We get 280+ days of sunshine a year in Colorado Springs...I do enjoy the top down too.
I'm glad you get 280 days of sun per year, but I'm not going to compare the climate of San Diego to Colorado Springs (pretty sure it snows there) in order to justify not purchasing a hard top. I don't like the look, and it would kill me to not be able to just drop the top of a vert at a moments notice while I'm out and about.

I prefer S2k with hard top as well.

I also prefer S2K with LS V8 lol. That is the only way to build that car. Screw boosting the stock motor, you'll spend a hell of a lot more money buying another S2K motor and doing a Turbo application to make the stock hp level of an LS1. No better feeling than torque IMO
I used to feel this way too, and if I wanted a 1200hp car out of this, I'd agree with you again. I've owned a couple LS cars, including now (sort of...the L99 is an LS3 with VVT and AFM) but what's the point? "Ohhhh I druppped this thur LS engyne from Chivy in my Hondur and I got more power than yur fur banger." I love seeing different engines, that's why I drove a rotary for a couple of years, it's a challenge, and something new to learn about.

I think the good news so far is that no one has chimed in with a horror story about how their friends S2K blew up and killed a litter of husky puppies.

Reactions: end7ess

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
S2Ks are awesome cars. I bought my Vets and flipped it, but it was such a blast. 120k, always stock, regular oil and fluids, and I tried to kill it like any other car. Made 5K and had a summer car again. Lots of guys have them in my area and have serious ones, and I never hear a complaint from them ever, moreover, they're always running. I'm all about function over form, and the S2K is that in spades...I do not say that about most cars.

In a perfect world, IMO, I'd save and buy the S2K, keep the warrantied Camaro for commuting, and the S2K for fun.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
I'm glad you get 280 days of sun per year, but I'm not going to compare the climate of San Diego to Colorado Springs (pretty sure it snows there) in order to justify not purchasing a hard top. I don't like the look, and it would kill me to not be able to just drop the top of a vert at a moments notice while I'm out and about.

I used to feel this way too, and if I wanted a 1200hp car out of this, I'd agree with you again. I've owned a couple LS cars, including now (sort of...the L99 is an LS3 with VVT and AFM) but what's the point? "Ohhhh I druppped this thur LS engyne from Chivy in my Hondur and I got more power than yur fur banger." I love seeing different engines, that's why I drove a rotary for a couple of years, it's a challenge, and something new to learn about.

I think the good news so far is that no one has chimed in with a horror story about how their friends S2K blew up and killed a litter of husky puppies.
I look at it as more of a great balance, power to weight ratio and efficiency but ok lol

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
S2Ks are awesome cars. I bought my Vets and flipped it, but it was such a blast. 120k, always stock, regular oil and fluids, and I tried to kill it like any other car. Made 5K and had a summer car again. Lots of guys have them in my area and have serious ones, and I never hear a complaint from them ever, moreover, they're always running. I'm all about function over form, and the S2K is that in spades...I do not say that about most cars.

In a perfect world, IMO, I'd save and buy the S2K, keep the warrantied Camaro for commuting, and the S2K for fun.
1 Garage spot and the rest is offstreet parking that I don't like to use :( I was perusing a 200k club thread on s2ki and I have to say it is impressive to see so many people with cars hovering around 300k.

I look at it as more of a great balance, power to weight ratio and efficiency but ok lol
Yeah, sorry if that came off as douchey. I just got used to people telling to "not turbo my rotary" and "oh it's a waste of money to modify that when you can just put a v8 in it". All cars are a waste of money haha but if I wanted a low maintenance powerful car I'd just keep making payments on the camaro. I don't think there is ever only one way to build a car.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The only thing that is at real risk to grenade on a stock motor, are those retainers I mentioned. Its a great factory powerplant otherwise, factory forged internals, its an awesome motor really. The car is damn small inside too, if you havent had seat time in one and youre a big guy, keep that in mind too.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The only thing that is at real risk to grenade on a stock motor, are those retainers I mentioned. Its a great factory powerplant otherwise, factory forged internals, its an awesome motor really. The car is damn small inside too, if you havent had seat time in one and youre a big guy, keep that in mind too.
I dug into the retainers, doesn't look bad at all particularly because I'll have a garage in a few months and I can start to amass my tools again (although all I'm missing is a compressor at this point for this job). I'm going to go kick the tires on one tomorrow and I'm also getting a trade in appraisal on the Camaro, it bluebooks for around 1.5k trade in more than I even paid for it in the first place, California vs Florida prices I guess, although I expect them to give me a pretty low offer I just wanted it as a jumping off point. Hopefully I like the s2k as much as I think I will, I fit in MG's so I think size wise it should be fine.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I fit great in the drivers side, and have almost no room in the passenger side. It's a weird thing. I'm 6ft 1in, and 210ish.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I fit great in the drivers side, and have almost no room in the passenger side. It's a weird thing. I'm 6ft 1in, and 210ish.
Picked one up today. 2005 with ~81k miles for $12.5k. I'll get some pictures up tomorrow when the sun comes out, sure does feel good to have a car free and clear again.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts