Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here I am, a 30 year old who fancies himself being an excellent driver and would like to try out Formula One. How does one go about it?

I know it's stupid and ridiculous, but I had the idea and can't get it out of my head.
Seeing as Formula One drivers are getting older and older, it's not like one would have to retire anytime soon.

So, how much money would I need to invest in a team to get a chance at trying out?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I'd say for the most part you start from the bottom, carts, dirt bikes, petit f1 or whatever... then move up through the ranks before getting scouted at the lower class races. Similar to Hockey or Football.

To just jump into it I would have no idea. Do you have track experience? At 30 you don't have much in your career anyways I don't think.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thansk guys, keep talking me out of it!
The inner deamons don't listen to me, they need someone ells to tell'em. ;)

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Unless you are a billionaire, or have a time machine, you have less then 0% chance. By 30, these guys have worked their way up through every rank (and been the best of the best to advance) spending a fortune to do so. I also am a very good driver, but unfortunately unless you are born into money, you are out of it before you even begin.

My advice would be to start aiming for something attainable like Formula Fords etc (which you STILL would be amazed at the skill level and speeds) You still need the deep pockets, but at least you might be able to get on the track

·
Registered
198 Posts
Watch this show called Patrick Dempsey: race car driver.

Unless you have an unlimited bank account, you are going to have a very hard time meeting your goal, even with much lower cost racing. Don't let this stop you from reaching your goals however. Stranger things have happened!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Unless you are a billionaire, or have a time machine, you have less then 0% chance. By 30, these guys have worked their way up through every rank (and been the best of the best to advance) spending a fortune to do so. I also am a very good driver, but unfortunately unless you are born into money, you are out of it before you even begin.

My advice would be to start aiming for something attainable like Formula Fords etc (which you STILL would be amazed at the skill level and speeds) You still need the deep pockets, but at least you might be able to get on the track
Theres a guy from around my hometown that wasnt rich and races indy car. he did race his entire life and made it onto a team though. Its far from f1 but its probably more reachable.

But like said, unless you are Gods gift to driving or just loaded with stupid amounts of money and want to be made to look like a fool who bought himself out on the track. Its probably just best to work on other dreams.

·
Banned
308 Posts
People sometimes underestimate just how skilled F1 drivers are. It isn't for nothing that an F1 driver can basically drive any type of vehicle flawlessly with only a bit of practice.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've won a few F1 races, and I'll win a few more when F1 2013 comes out. :D

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have a friend that is convinced he can be an NBA player ... Oh brother ....

OK let's face it, if you had 40M dollars to spare, make your own team, perhaps then you can be a team owner (still you will need another 40M in sponsors) .... BUT, if you want also to drive, you would need to really be a second a a half slower than Alonso @ Spa and NO MORE, which is think is pretty much IMPOSSIBLE to achieve @ Any level of skills and Age and any state of mind ....

Sorry!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts