Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty much I had to do a CAD Project, so I decided to build a concave rim. This is my rough in of it. This was very hard to do without dimensions to go off of. this one is almost ready for the mill. I just need to shape up the spokes. Right now, the material that will be used is forged aluminum. Problem is, I don't think they will let me mill this because of the size!!! I wanted to also add that I am using Solidworks 2009

I would love some feedback on what you guys think. When i finish this will be a true 3 piece design.

Dimensions:
20x10.5 (with a fully adjustable bolt pattern)

This is the wheel that i am modeling after.

AND THIS IS WHAT I HAVE SO FAR...

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have a screen shot of the assembly drawing?
no, right now it is one piece. solidworks will let me break it into 3 when i finish...

looks good so far, i would highly suggest utilizing some mesh features. should be interesting to see the final product. how long you been using solidworks for?
I have been using it for a little while. I am more familiar with Alibre, but Solidworks is wayyyy more amazing and much easier to navigate. yeah, i will use mesh when i start cleaning it up... mostly what i have done so far are just fillets, and a ton of reference planes

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Looking good so far : )
The deep concave step lip design really is an engineering pain in the ass! The problem is, even after you figure it out, you'd have to make it from a brick of billet aluminum because there's no available forging dye that'll fill the areas needed to get this look. We literally had to design and manufacture a whole new deep concave die for these. Each center disc is machined from a massive piece of aluminum. They're insanely inefficient, and require extensive engineering for each individual application - but the end result...sickness.

Note how the center disc is individually engineered to follow the contour of the step lip, keep in mind this is just 1 size step lip. Each and every program is individual and only fits it's own, no universal template. It's equivalent to a brand new 3 dimensional entirely new design for almost every vehicles front and rear wheel. 1000's of files to cover just popular apps.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking good so far : )
The deep concave step lip design really is an engineering pain in the ass! The problem is, even after you figure it out, you'd have to make it from a brick of billet aluminum because there's no available forging dye that'll fill the areas needed to get this look. We literally had to design and manufacture a whole new deep concave die for these. Each center disc is machined from a massive piece of aluminum. They're insanely inefficient, and require extensive engineering for each individual application - but the end result...sickness.

Note how the center disc is individually engineered to follow the contour of the step lip, keep in mind this is just 1 size step lip. Each and every program is individual and only fits it's own, no universal template. It's equivalent to a brand new 3 dimensional entirely new design for almost every vehicles front and rear wheel. 1000's of files to cover just popular apps.

thanks a ton for all that... this is actually the kind of engineering that i am interested in. I like the whole design and manufacture process... The concavity of the wheel is what makes it so fun to do in CAD, but also, a little bit tougher...

the up close pictures really helped out. I am going to try when i get some free time to break this model apart and make it a true 3 piece...

·
Registered
382 Posts
If we do a model on "Inventor" and submit it, is there a chance they will build it?
Any credit for a hot rim design?
I have recently done a few concaves but just toying around..

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If we do a model on "Inventor" and submit it, is there a chance they will build it?
Any credit for a hot rim design?
I have recently done a few concaves but just toying around..
that would be pretty cool... arent you an SC member?

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
You're right, the cls and m3 do share the same front / rear program with only an adjustment for pcd, pad and cb. If we can ever use existing programs it's great, saves time. The individual files are still pretty extensive, i.e., imagine front and rear files for a Gallardo, gtr, lp640, 599, 997tt, s65, c63, zr1, x5m, amv8 and everything in between each with customer specific et's and profile preferences from deep lip to minimal lip / max depth...Yeah.

20" centers will fit in a 21" step lip sometimes depending on the OD of the center disc, sometimes it needs to be lathed down to fit. In order to get the spoke to come over the step like these it won't work, you need a forging that has a 19" register diameter with a 20"+ overall diameter...Good luck with that lollll, which is why we made our own : ) with the versatility go go from 5" in depth to as flat as a ruler all in 1 forging.

Even still, after all this we still run into some limitations which require some creativity sometimes, but overall we're able to do almost anything and every day we're coming up with new engineering ideas to improve :bow1:

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks man - you're right, the cls and m3 do share the same front / rear program with only an adjustment for pcd, pad and cb. If we can ever use existing programs it's great, saves time. The individual files are still pretty extensive, i.e., imagine front and rear files for a Gallardo, gtr, lp640, 599, 997tt, s65, c63, zr1, x5m, amv8 and everything in between each with customer specific et's and profile preferences from deep lip to minimal lip / max depth...Yeah.

20" centers will fit in a 21" step lip sometimes depending on the OD of the center disc, sometimes it needs to be lathed down to fit. In order to get the spoke to come over the step like these it won't work, you need a forging that has a 19" register diameter with a 20"+ overall diameter...Good luck with that lollll, which is why we made our own : ) with the versatility go go from 5" in depth to as flat as a ruler all in 1 forging.

Even still, after all this we still run into some limitations which require some creativity sometimes, but overall we're able to do almost anything and every day we're coming up with new engineering ideas to improve :bow1:
nice.... yall wouldn't happen to need an intern... i make a mean coffee

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
thanks a ton for all that... this is actually the kind of engineering that i am interested in. I like the whole design and manufacture process... The concavity of the wheel is what makes it so fun to do in CAD, but also, a little bit tougher...

the up close pictures really helped out. I am going to try when i get some free time to break this model apart and make it a true 3 piece...
Sweet! good luck man, I love this stuff :wink:

·
Registered
3,876 Posts

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
18 Posts
Glad someone actually took the time to see how much work actually goes into making these wheels...

J = human robot

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Glad someone actually took the time to see how much work actually goes into making these wheels...

J = human robot
wtf?! I'm getting branded as the adv1 robot lately lolllll

·
Registered
18 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts