Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I went to FL2K it seemed like every other person there owned a sub 10 second GTR. I just cant even find them impressive anymore, watching drag races is fun because you're trying to guess who's going to win, but as soon as yI see a GTR pull up to the tree all I can think is "Oh. Great. The GTR wins, lets just get this over with". I mean it's a great car, dont get me wrong, but man it's like listening to a song on repeat, eventually you get so tired of it. It just isn't even interesting anymore. A toddler could drive a 9 second GTR down the drag strip and beat 90% of exotics out there. Anyone else feel the same way? Nothing against the cars or the owners, I'm just so tired of seeing them everywhere. My flamesuit is ready

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Put the suit on and buckle up brother!!!

Lol. All jokes aside from everything you just said, to me at least, makes the GTR that much more impressive! Its like when Michael Schumacher was in his prime, everyone complained because they knew who would win, Schumacher! When a car stands out from the crowd because it is usually the winner, that says a lot.

I am getting more and more into racing in the 1/2 mile events and everyone is after the top dog and usual winner…. Underground Racing. People see a Lambo with a UGR sticker and think the same… "Oh great, a UGR Lambo" We know who is gonna win this race…

The car makes you think like that for one specific and certain reason… It is fast and can go fast very easily. How you hating on that bra???

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Put the suit on and buckle up brother!!!

Lol. All jokes aside from everything you just said, to me at least, makes the GTR that much more impressive! Its like when Michael Schumacher was in his prime, everyone complained because they knew who would win, Schumacher! When a car stands out from the crowd because it is usually the winner, that says a lot.

I am getting more and more into racing in the 1/2 mile events and everyone is after the top dog and usual winner…. Underground Racing. People see a Lambo with a UGR sticker and think the same… "Oh great, a UGR Lambo" We know who is gonna win this race…

The car makes you think like that for one specific and certain reason… It is fast and can go fast very easily. How you hating on that bra???
Not hating exactly, like I said I can respect the car and the people who own it, hell I almost bought an 800hp Titan Motorsports GTR, but it's just like listening to a song too many times... I dont know, maybe if I didnt see so many. Where I live there are actually two chrome GTR's I see every day that different people use as daily drivers. There's just so many!

Reactions: In AWD We Trust

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mean I'm not doubting it's fast

Reactions: In AWD We Trust

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
I got tired of GTRs, until the 2015 version was revealed. Dog gamn that does look sick with the revised front and rear lights. Although from the sound clips I've never cared for the GTR exhaust, stock, or aftermarket.
It's either too quiet or too damn loud and isn't music imo.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Not hating exactly, like I said I can respect the car and the people who own it, hell I almost bought an 800hp Titan Motorsports GTR, but it's just like listening to a song too many times... I dont know, maybe if I didnt see so many. Where I live there are actually two chrome GTR's I see every day that different people use as daily drivers. There's just so many!
Haha i do see your point but when I drove one for the first time, I saw what the fuss and popularity was all about. It is an awesome car and the best bang for the buck you can get. Why spend the same amount of $ if you have the same goal and plans to get something that is not on the same level.

If you want to be unique and don't care about performance than you can get some cool cars for the same amount. If you want a very fast car that is able to be a daily driver, than the GTR stands alone.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Yeah, I can see how they can be considered "appliances" but I think a fast washing machine would still be fun to own. :lol:

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I kind of get what you're saying in the sense that it's annoying how not a single one is slow, but that shouldn't make you sick of the. That's like saying "okay, I'm sick of the Aventador because I see it so much and they all look amazing."

·
Registered
11,276 Posts
I have been dealing in exotics for 7 years and owned / driven everything you can think of. I had a TT gallardo which was my baby for two years until I bought and drove my 9 second GTR on gold rush rally. It was the most fun and yet easy to drive car I have ever owned. I vowed to sell the lambo and make a monster GTR (funny 9 seconds in the GTR world isn't a monster) my gf daily drives the car it has no issues it is easy to drive and is reliable. The power is there when you want it all the time and it's manageable power. You don't have to worry about parking it, you don't have to worry about putting miles on it you don't have to do much but drive it. I love the car so much I bought another because my gf drives mine and I couldn't think of another car I would want to daily drive. I love the car so much that when a certain one I has been eyeing comes for sale I'll buy another and have three and have a difficult time figuring out which one I should get rid of!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I mean it's a great car, dont get me wrong, but man it's like listening to a song on repeat, eventually you get so tired of it. It just isn't even interesting anymore. A toddler could drive a 9 second GTR down the drag strip and beat 90% of exotics out there. Anyone else feel the same way? Nothing against the cars or the owners, I'm just so tired of seeing them everywhere. My flamesuit is ready
Totally agree.

First off, I'll give credit where it's due. The GTR is one of the most technologically advanced car of its time with amazing electronics and driver's aids that make the car amazingly fast. It'll toast Ferrari's and other exotics without breaking a sweat. But that's where it all ends for me.

Design: I just don't get it. From a design standpoint there is nothing aesthetically pleasing about the GTR. There are no smooth curves or flared lines or aero that fulfill the car with exterior passion. Its just too bulky of a design. Take note of the NSX which was also a breakthrough car of its time. It still looks classic and beautiful with aerodynamic lines. Nissan failed in this department.

Driving experience: You made the point that a toddler could mash on throttle and go 9 seconds. Absolutely true. This takes zero skill and thus zero respect. However, I will say that the GTR is amazing on high HP tracks as well. But again, who is driving? The car or you? If the car is so technologically advanced and corrects all driver's errors, what fun is that?
I buy cars for the emotive experience of the driving event. I like to feel every driver input and be rewarded for my efforts in steering, shifting, throttle response etc. - not some ECU correcting slip angles etc. I love analogue cars for the visceral raw nature of the driving experience and the skill employed to truly make the car do what you want it to do, due to the driver - not the car.
Put the owner of a GTR and the owner of a Lotus behind the wheel of a go kart or formula car and see who drives with better skill. There is where the real men lie.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,116 Posts

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Its fun, its fast, its cheap(er). No wonder it's popular.

I didn't care for em much till they showed the new Nismo one just now. That thing is properly sick. I'd get that.

·
Banned
308 Posts
When I went to FL2K it seemed like every other person there owned a sub 10 second GTR. I just cant even find them impressive anymore, watching drag races is fun because you're trying to guess who's going to win, but as soon as yI see a GTR pull up to the tree all I can think is "Oh. Great. The GTR wins, lets just get this over with". I mean it's a great car, dont get me wrong, but man it's like listening to a song on repeat, eventually you get so tired of it. It just isn't even interesting anymore. A toddler could drive a 9 second GTR down the drag strip and beat 90% of exotics out there. Anyone else feel the same way? Nothing against the cars or the owners, I'm just so tired of seeing them everywhere. My flamesuit is ready
I understand what you mean. Driving a sub 10 second drag car is much more challenging, and I'd assume much more rewarding as an experience.

Its fun, its fast, its cheap(er). No wonder it's popular.

I didn't care for em much till they showed the new Nismo one just now. That thing is properly sick. I'd get that.
Fun, fast, cheap, if that were the case for drag cars then everyone would be running 5.0 stangs. I think it's a culture to be honest. Everyone wants an import jap in their collection and being a sportscar with supercar performance, the GTR justifies its purchase to people in the market.

Also, as some have mentioned, and from what I hear at drag strips, it is a great entry level drag car since it's easy to drive and good for learning.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Fun, fast, cheap, if that were the case for drag cars then everyone would be running 5.0 stangs. I think it's a culture to be honest. Everyone wants an import jap in their collection and being a sportscar with supercar performance, the GTR justifies its purchase to people in the market.

Also, as some have mentioned, and from what I hear at drag strips, it is a great entry level drag car since it's easy to drive and good for learning.
With the numbers you get, i'd hardly call it a an "entry level" drag car. Sure it's not as raw and as brutal as some of its counterparts but it gives everything else a run for their money.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Except a 5.0 Mustang isn't fun. Fast for cheap, yes.

...and personally, I like the "boxy" appearance of the GTR. I'll admit that I like the looks of Volvo wagons too.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
I think Sir you-know-who doesn't even want to bother to comment on "something that has been beaten to death".

And I like the GTR shape, especially with the 2012+ refresh.

From some angles it does look better than the R8 (mainly the side view, which is the weakest look due to the mid engine placement).

1 - 20 of 142 Posts