Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, the time has come. I have to get a new humidor, my current one just isn't very good and isn't regulating humidity well. I am still an intermediate smoker, so the less expensive the better. I would like it to hold 25-50 cigars and have the built in hygrometer/humidor (so that it doesn't attach to the top with adhesive). What are my options for a quality long lasting piece?

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Rule #1 in humidor hunting: Always get bigger. If you need a 25-50 count humidor, get a 100-150 count one. You will soon run out of space and will be looking for another one. Trust me.

I don't have a clue about the good/best ones under 200$ but I would check your local shop first and take it from there. I know there are thread about humidors here. You'll find some info there as well.

One way to check the "quality" of the seal of a desktop humidor is the "paper test":

- open the humidor
- place a regular sheet of paper on edge of humidor
- close humidor
- pull the paper

If the paper slides easily, seal is not ideal. If it doesn't, you have a good seal.

Another test is to listen to the "vacuum sound" the humidor makes when you drop the top to close it. If it's plain wood sound >> :nono:. If it's air sound >> :thumb:

·
Registered
57 Posts
The hygrometers that come with most humidors, are pretty lousy as a rule -- especially if they are analog. You are much better off getting a decent hygrometer and attaching it yourself. The HygroSet digital hygrometers are pretty good and attach magnetically and very reasonably priced.

Ditto what Hovy said about humidor size. People always underestimate this and you are much better off getting something bigger now for a few extra dollars rather than having to buy yet-another humidor down the road.

If looks are not an issue (e.g., the humidor is not going to be on display) you can always go with a larger Tupperware or Rubbermaid container -- one that seals for food rather than general storage -- or even a small cooler for a fraction of the price of a wooden humidor.

Just my 2 cents...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts