Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of getting new rims for my M6. I have DPE's on there now and have never had any problem with them...just want something new. I like my rims chrome and deep.

Are HRE's any better than DPE's? The HRE's seems to be more expensive overall, but I'm not sure why. Thanks for any info guys...

PS: Here's what's on there now.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Is HRE selling any deep lipped wheels these days?
Prolly can't do bad with either brand quality wise.
Just depends on the style you want and which brand has something you really like.

I like the way it looks now but I understand wanting to change. I'm in the same mood. Current wheels been on 5 years. Time to change.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Two 1,XXX whp GT-R's in my local GT-R club run DPE's and they have held up just fine.
Like I said...never had ANY problems with the DPE's...I just figured I might look into HRE's this time. They seem to be quite a bit pricier than the DPE's overall. I wasn't sure if that was just what the market will pay, or if there was some advantage to the HRE's.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is HRE selling any deep lipped wheels these days?
Not sure. Did find one model (not deep) that I liked, but looks like about $10K for four of them. Guess that's just what they run now.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like the way it looks now but I understand wanting to change. I'm in the same mood. Current wheels been on 5 years. Time to change.
These have been on the car about 5 years as well. The first set I got (DCR) when I bought the car gave me NOTHING but problems. I didn't know much about rims back then, and I fell in love with the way they looked. I had no idea they were such garbage. I got on average about 2 flat tires per month! Worse than that...after the company admitted that one of their employees stole my OEM TP sensors and replaced them with some aftermarket sensors so he could have brand new ones for his BMW, and knew I was constantly getting flat tires, they still would never do anything about it. Luckily they went out of business so nobody else had to go through what I did. I took a loss on that deal, but learned a valuable lesson. Now I want to make sure i stick with a brand with an excellent reputation for quality and customer service.

·
Registered
60 Posts
There are a few factors that people keep in mind when buying wheels for their car (those who care). Weight, Strength, and Performance (Wheel inertia, etc etc). HRE is known for making the best strong and lightweight performance wheels for years. But if you don't care about any of those then might as well save some money and opt for something cheaper. It also depends on how people drive their car, if you don't care about your wheels and constantly hitting pot holes or something like that of course it will bend or break the wheels no matter what brands of wheels you are running with. But certain wheels might bend or break more easily than others, it all depends on the quality and engineering of the wheels...

·
Registered
490 Posts
I'll give a completely honest opinion here...

The average "Joe" does not really need the high quality you get with a wheel company like HRE. If he is into driving up and down the local hot spots and just cruising around town, almost any wheel will do. The difference between a no name or mediocre brand and a brand like HRE, comes evident when you start bringing your car to the track, pushing the limits and continuously drive the car hard. That is what separates companies like HRE from the other guys. You probably do see a ton of cars rolling on HRE's that never seen a track before, and it is partially due to wanting to have the "baller" status, but it's also piece of mind that your wheel isn't going to explode driving down the road or taking a corner. Sometimes the safety aspect is enough to make people spend more on their wheels.

I'm a stern believer in "you get what you pay for". Comparing HRE to other wheel companies is a prime example of this. Just remember, any Chinese knock off company can make a "replica" of almost any wheel design in the world, but you better believe it doesn't have the engineering behind it.

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts

The average "Joe" does not really need the high quality you get with a wheel company like HRE. If he is into driving up and down the local hot spots and just cruising around town, almost any wheel will do. The difference between a no name or mediocre brand and a brand like HRE, comes evident when you start bringing your car to the track, pushing the limits and continuously drive the car hard. That is what separates companies like HRE from the other guys. You probably do see a ton of cars rolling on HRE's that never seen a track before, and it is partially due to wanting to have the "baller" status, but it's also piece of mind that your wheel isn't going to explode driving down the road or taking a corner. Sometimes the safety aspect is enough to make people spend more on their wheels.

I'm a stern believer in "you get what you pay for". Comparing HRE to other wheel companies is a prime example of this. Just remember, any Chinese knock off company can make a "replica" of almost any wheel design in the world, but you better believe it doesn't have the engineering behind it.
Holy cow couldn't of said it better my self. Its almost impossible to explain to people this especially over the phone. We do get call monthly saying they should of listen. Sad part its hidden or these people not internet savoy.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have NO plans on buying any type of knockoff wheel. I just was trying to figure out if I should go with DPE again or go for HRE. I like to drive my car, but I don't really drive it hard. I have NO desire to go to the track either. I just want a wheel that will be safe and look good.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I have NO plans on buying any type of knockoff wheel. I just was trying to figure out if I should go with DPE again or go for HRE. I like to drive my car, but I don't really drive it hard. I have NO desire to go to the track either. I just want a wheel that will be safe and look good.
I don't know what he means by that comment but DPE's are nowhere near being "Chinese knockoffs", this guys just an HRE fanboy lol

·
Registered
193 Posts
People honestly buy HRE for the name, other wheel brands aren't inferior or less engineered, HRE is just good with customer service which brought their reputation up. DPE's are great wheels and half the price, they don't advertise in the US much which is why their name isn't as big here, but they are great wheels.

Reactions: Gevojanyan

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know what he means by that comment but DPE's are nowhere near being "Chinese knockoffs", this guys just an HRE fanboy lol
??????? Fan boy? REALLY???

I never said ANYTHING about DPE's being knockoffs. I have them on my car now, and have nothing bad to say about them. It is just time for a change, and I was simply asking if there was some engineering reason HRE's cost so much more than the DPE's cost.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
People honestly buy HRE for the name, other wheel brands aren't inferior or less engineered, HRE is just good with customer service which brought their reputation up. DPE's are great wheels and half the price, they don't advertise in the US much which is why their name isn't as big here, but they are great wheels.
Thank you for actually reading my OP, and I appreciate your answer. I might just go ahead and look at a new set of DPE's.

·
Registered
193 Posts

I never said ANYTHING about DPE's being knockoffs. I have them on my car now, and have nothing bad to say about them. It is just time for a change, and I was simply asking if there was some engineering reason HRE's cost so much more than the DPE's cost.
I think he's talking about this comment not yours, no problem for the input.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts

I wasn't talking about you.... Lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
HRE's are a lot more expensive and their customer service seems to be going down the toilet, based on one of my friend's experience with them.

Between the 2, I would go with DPE. Recently, I've been really impressed with Forgeline and their 4-6 week turnaround time. My recommendation is Forgeline.

Michael

·
Registered
822 Posts
HRE's are a lot more expensive and their customer service seems to be going down the toilet, based on one of my friend's experience with them.

Between the 2, I would go with DPE. Recently, I've been really impressed with Forgeline and their 4-6 week turnaround time. My recommendation is Forgeline.

Michael
We're sorry to hear that. Please PM us - we care to know more.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts