Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching for a 98-99 E36 M3, with under 30k miles. I don't know why but I just seem to have a love for it. I finally found one, but how are they reliability wise? As long as they are halfway decent I'll be pulling the trigger.

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a 99 with 80k at purchase. Owner had extensive maintenance history and a PPI was performed. I fervently maintained the car and barred no expense. With coilovers, that car corners unbelievably. However, at around 130k, it seemed like every month something would go wrong. Sometimes I would only have the car back a few weeks and something else would bring me back to the garage.

I really liked it, but in the end it was too much of a headache--not unlike many love relationships.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Had two of them, and they were both very well built and gave me little trouble, just keep up with the basic maint. And it will last forever

·
Registered
340 Posts
Mine was in the shop on a regular basis. Be ready to drop $2k-3k around 80kmiles+ for the common cooling system failure. Car is super fun though.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I just sold my 95 M with 155K and it was bullet proof. As far as cooling system the only problem I had was a water pump, replaced the plastic impler pump with a steel one and never had a problem again. I kind of miss the old girl, you'll be hard pressed to find more bang for the buck.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I just sold my 95 M with 155K and it was bullet proof. As far as cooling system the only problem I had was a water pump, replaced the plastic impler pump with a steel one and never had a problem again. I kind of miss the old girl, you'll be hard pressed to find more bang for the buck.
All plastic parts of the E36 cooling system are prone to failure. Radiator neck, thermostat cover, and the water pump.

I've owned an E36 M3 for ~10 years now. By far the most bulletproof car i've owned. The key to reliability on these is preventive maintenance. The weak links are well documented, so address these issues up front before they come up.

Paying a premium for a well maintained example will be well worth the extra money.

·
Registered
748 Posts
1. If you're seriously looking into buying an E36 M3 and you're asking this question, you have some serious researching to do...

2. E36 M3s are bulletproof if you are diligent with preventative maintenance. One of the few sports cars that can get you to 250k miles.

·
Registered
170 Posts
One of my roommates in college had one, with close to 100k on it. He tracked it quite a bit and used it as a daily, rain, snow, etc. As long as you take care of it you shouldn't have any major issues.

·
Registered
327 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts