Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to a member on here I have been addicted to watch recon lately, cruising through looking at everything from your everyday run of the mill quartz timex to high end AP's, Patek's and the like. As I got to thinking about it, what makes you choose a certain watch? Looks, value, movement, bracelet vs strap, name?? Just curious as to the criteria everyone else has on watch selection.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
I try to have a different function on every watch I own. I only go for in-house movements unless it's my B&Rs. I have two B&Rs of my liking for beaters. I will not buy another watch unless it's different than anything I have or in-house movement.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Your Style plays a huge portion in what watch you wear or that's my opinion. I buy watches because I feel that they are small works of art. I also see my watches as in investment granted you may lose some money but its not as silly as dumping money into a car/ truck. I have a few very High end pieces that I worn 2-3 times but my Panerai, IWC, JLC, and Rolex watches are pieces that I wear the most. I love in house movements, complications are fantastic.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Thanks to a member on here I have been addicted to watch recon lately, cruising through looking at everything from your everyday run of the mill quartz timex to high end AP's, Patek's and the like. As I got to thinking about it, what makes you choose a certain watch? Looks, value, movement, bracelet vs strap, name?? Just curious as to the criteria everyone else has on watch selection.
wassup Doc? (we share our first name, like mr. carter too)
anyway... i would think that a combination of all those factors play a role. I don't have nice watches, but the watches that i do have are all different. Different functions, styles, straps etc. If one grows old or i'm tired of it, i'll try to replace it with one of similar style.

I, too, am obsessed with watches thanks to L4P. :D

·
Registered
553 Posts
I go for the movements and the looks, the name doesn't really bother me. Best thing to do when first looking is go to a place like Torneau and try on a few different styles to see what you like best. And use the 6ft rule, look at the watch on your wrist in a mirror from 6ft away.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Size of the case, color of dial, and movement are the first things I look for. Resale value is something I look at as well. If the watch doesn't have much of a resale value I figure there is something wrong with it. I do look for particular brands because there are a few I like more than others. For example...right now...I have two watches with Black dials. My next watch will be a lighter dial...white, silver...something along those lines.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
depends. Sometimes I impulse buy, or simply buy because I love the looks of it. I have a few higher end watches, and I also have a few cheap ones. I also buy a watch based on a certain need. Like now that its winter, I start back on the cell towers, so I need a new watch.

·
Registered
114 Posts
It's all about your swagger. You should wear something that matches your personality and tastes. Also, I believe, that the timepiece should mean something to you. If you buy crap, you're crap. If you buy quality, you're quality. I know I'm not the richest guy in the world, but with the money I had I bought my first watch to be a Hamilton Seaview 1000. I absolutely love this watch, but I wouldn't have bought it if it didn't have the quality that Hamilton does. A timepiece should match the owner in my opinion.

I wonder if this is why so many guys in the military wear G-Shocks cause they are indestructible and can survive in any environment.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
It's all about your swagger. You should wear something that matches your personality and tastes. Also, I believe, that the timepiece should mean something to you. If you buy crap, you're crap. If you buy quality, you're quality. I know I'm not the richest guy in the world, but with the money I had I bought my first watch to be a Hamilton Seaview 1000. I absolutely love this watch, but I wouldn't have bought it if it didn't have the quality that Hamilton does. A timepiece should match the owner in my opinion.

I wonder if this is why so many guys in the military wear G-Shocks cause they are indestructible and can survive in any environment.
I dont agree at all. If you buy crap you're crap?

Really????

·
Registered
114 Posts
I dont agree at all. If you buy crap you're crap?

Really????
Well define crap, cause what's crap to you might not be crap to me. Crap to me would be a fake wanna be watch...like a fake Rolex. Would you wear a fake Rolex?

I hope you didn't mistake me for crap being cheap, cause cheap doesn't mean crap. If I had a 5 year old son and he gave me his watch that he got from a cereal box that he loved but he gave it to me cause I'm his daddy I'd rock the hell out of it cause it means something to me. A fake watch to me is crap and has no meaning to me.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Well define crap, cause what's crap to you might not be crap to me. Crap to me would be a fake wanna be watch...like a fake Rolex. Would you wear a fake Rolex?

I hope you didn't mistake me for crap being cheap, cause cheap doesn't mean crap. If I had a 5 year old son and he gave me his watch that he got from a cereal box that he loved but he gave it to me cause I'm his daddy I'd rock the hell out of it cause it means something to me. A fake watch to me is crap and has no meaning to me.
that helps out a little bit more. I thought you where saying cheap watches. Fake watches are a bit different then a crap watch. Almost like an invicta.....

·
Registered
114 Posts
that helps out a little bit more. I thought you where saying cheap watches. Fake watches are a bit different then a crap watch. Almost like an invicta.....
Sorry for not being more specific. When I said crap I meant fake. If you wear fake you probably are fake. I mean seriously, would you ever want to do business with a guy that wears a fake rolex? It's Shady just like my cheating ex gf with her fake Gucci bags.

Timepieces can say a lot about a person's character. I think it's all about a person's personality, it shouldn't matter what you wear or how much you spent on it, as long as it means something to you and it's who you are.

That's what I looked for when I bought my first watch. I went for something that just I thought was me. I hate it when people buy something just to be like everyone else...or worse they buy the fake version of it so they can think like they are everyone else.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Sorry for not being more specific. When I said crap I meant fake. If you wear fake you probably are fake. I mean seriously, would you ever want to do business with a guy that wears a fake rolex? It's Shady just like my cheating ex gf with her fake Gucci bags.

Timepieces can say a lot about a person's character. I think it's all about a person's personality, it shouldn't matter what you wear or how much you spent on it, as long as it means something to you and it's who you are.

That's what I looked for when I bought my first watch. I went for something that just I thought was me. I hate it when people buy something just to be like everyone else...or worse they buy the fake version of it so they can think like they are everyone else.
toltally agree. I also find my mood determines my watch as well. I still have some cereal box watches, and people always ask. I tend to wear the plastic/unique watches when im just going out to have fun.

·
Registered
633 Posts
In mens watches there are a few core styles and it isn't hard to hit them all then back track and get variations that you like.

There are;
Diver/workhorse style-like submariner, b&r's, breitling etc
upgraded diver types-panerai, ap etc
dress watches- ala oyster perpetual, patek style (could be any but you get the picture of the look)
square cases-cartier santos, muller, etc all

Once you get a daily wear, nice sporty, and a dress watch, then you can back track and get into variations of them. Each of those categories you can go high to low and many extremes, but it is kinda like grey suit, black suit, blue suit...you gotta start with the basics before you go in alternative directions.

PS where you start also should depend a lot on what you do for a living and how you have to dress for work, and what your hobbies are outside of work.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I go for the movements and the looks, the name doesn't really bother me. Best thing to do when first looking is go to a place like Torneau and try on a few different styles to see what you like best. And use the 6ft rule, look at the watch on your wrist in a mirror from 6ft away.

if possible explain more about the 6 foot rule. Sounds interesting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts