Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so I want to have a set up in which I can control everything with my iphone type deal..or have one of those cool controlers with the screens with all my movies in it...but I have no idea where to start looking or where to start...id also like to add speakers thru out my house...Thank for your help

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
probably looking to spend 4k ...if that even gets me anywhere lol
The entry level Savant is about $5k. What are you looking to automate? Anything less is really just to impress your friends that you have a touch screen. At that point you might as well save your money and just get a good universal remote for a fraction of the price. Aeros makes a nice one. I think it's about $100 but you need a couple hours of an A/V tech to program it. I wouldn't recommend using an iPhone as a remote for your tv. It's a pain in the ass to pull the phone out of your pocket just to change the channel, and it's slow cause you have to "wake up" your phone first before you can use it.

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
4k really won't get you much, Club411 installed Control4 to automate his house with great results. There is a thread somewhere in here I can try to dig up.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
O yea i saw that thread today as a matter of fact...his house turned up real nice...DUSTIN....how do you like your $1500 system?....and if Savant is 5k thats not too bad there stuff looks pretty nice...but thats probably the most im willing to spend on that stuff

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
I just got my new Vida Box this week waiting for my installer to come put it in. They have a new Set up that uses iPads.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
What are you looking for? I use a Crestron Remote 2 of them to control my entire house in regards to the home theater. I just got set up to work the thermostat...... They thing is Vida box is reasonable priced your not gonna get far with $4k.

but yea I think I would rather have something other than an ipod/iphone/ipad to control it all

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
What are you looking for? I use a Crestron Remote 2 of them to control my entire house in regards to the home theater. I just got set up to work the thermostat......
Really? I knew of controlling everything but the thermostat is a great idea. Especially if I could control it over the internet when I'm out of town, gotta save a few bucks everywhere I can now a days.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Yup its awesome! My fiance like its like a meat locker so when she goes to bed she grabs the remote and turn the A/C down to 65.....Saves you from having to get out of bed. I'm going to make the move to VidaBox soon they have a lot cooler products to work with.

Really? I knew of controlling everything but the thermostat is a great idea. Especially if I could control it over the internet when I'm out of town, gotta save a few bucks everywhere I can now a days.

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
What components did you go with? Can you PM a ballpark on what you spent? I wish they listed prices on their website :mad:

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
I'll shoot you a PM, I have to look and see exactly what I have. I know for a fact that I have these 3 components.

Vida Box LUXv2 10 TB of storage as my Media Server (More User Friendly)

Crestron Climate Control ( I was going with Green Light but it wasn't work the money)

Crestron AV2 as the processor for the whole house. Basically the master control panel. Does everything.

What components did you go with? Can you PM a ballpark on what you spent? I wish they listed prices on their website :mad:

·
Registered
136 Posts
O yea i saw that thread today as a matter of fact...his house turned up real nice...DUSTIN....how do you like your $1500 system?....and if Savant is 5k thats not too bad there stuff looks pretty nice...but thats probably the most im willing to spend on that stuff
I love it, i run my home theater off my Harmony one remote and since i sold my iphone and got the Evo 4g i use a old itouch for stuff like lights, Hvac and stuff. I dont have power shades or my lights set to a computer. I kept it simple and cheap. Love it tho. (also very easy to DIY, saved alot of money that way)

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Crestron is great. But you have to hire a very good company to install it. How good it is directly depends on how good the programmer was for the company who set it up. I would say 9 out of 10 companies are not very good at it. You hear people all the time complaining about Crestron and most of the time it came down to having a company that wasn't great at it. You can do anything with Crestron that you can imagine. But if you're looking to go that route and spend that much money, I highly suggest the new Savant system for comparisson. I think it's going to give Crestron some serious competition.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts