Luxury4Play.com banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
i have a custom video jukebox that i designed....

its all touch screen, fiber optic, wireless interwebs, linked to a 10tb server...

just a whole bunch of shit i dont need, but have cause i make it

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
^ 10tb? sweet jesus you must torrent everything in existence.
if you've got a pc set up to your projector/screens, xbmc is the way to go.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
No, I own them all, then rip them to the server.

I used to work for NCR. I had many many teradata servers. Just a perk of the job

And the touch screens, well I have about 12 right now of those too.

·
Registered
56 Posts
CJO; It's not as complicated as you think. I simply click on a folder and pick out a movie to watch. Its actually no different than choosing a movie with your remote, I just use a wireless mouse! IMO you can't beat a PC as far as versatility and price. But nice set up though!

MrMikey32; 10tb....that's serious biz! I was considering using a touchscreen, but just use a wireless mouse/keyboard instead. Another thought is to use a tablet as a control for the whole thing.

·
Registered
323 Posts
CJO; It's not as complicated as you think. I simply click on a folder and pick out a movie to watch. Its actually no different than choosing a movie with your remote, I just use a wireless mouse! IMO you can't beat a PC as far as versatility and price. But nice set up though!
Thanks. I used a PC and different setups for my movies for over 5 years. The biggest issue I had was that I either had to have the PC on 24/7 or I had to go through several steps to get it going and was the only one who could use it. Now, someone just has to push the "Movies" button on the remote and it's all ready.

CJ

·
Registered
56 Posts
CJ what kind of a set up are you using then? What jukebox, remote and storage system are you using? I have to admit that it does look quite nice.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Glad this thread is evolving.

I'm definitely a PC/do it yourselfer type and my brother uses XBMC with a dedicated computer he built. Looks like only Boxee could be in the running versus building my own. Just for simplicity sake (plus I love how it looks).

Mac Mini seems a tad pricey but I just got a Macbook Air and could see myself switching to the dark side for just the Airplay. But only for audio... 720p won't cut it.

Whereas offloading movies once in awhile off my laptop or desktop to the Boxee box doesn't seem too bad.

Decisions, decisions!

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
^ just looked at popcorn hour, the A210 doesn't seem too bad for $200.

forfend, which have you had? any detailed comments?

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
I had bought the A110 back in 2006 or 7. Was solid and played hd tv captures flawlessly. We had a water line break and short out the entertainment center late 2007, only reason it's not in use. Ive been eyeing the new model which supports BD drives as I could remove the Sony BD player leaving the popcorn hour and my cable box under the tv but with work and other projects I haven't looked into much as leisure time has been lite.

·
Registered
323 Posts
CJ what kind of a set up are you using then? What jukebox, remote and storage system are you using? I have to admit that it does look quite nice.

The movie server is the Popcorn Hour C-200. It is playing BluRays and DVDs that I have ripped to a 4.5TB RAID array on my computer. Control is via Crestron (Pro2 controller and a TPMC-8x touchpanel), but could be easily done with other decent systems.

CJ

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was able to turn an old pc into the media centre running XBMC connected to my media server with almost 10Tb of stuff, but ive got it set up to not just run movies and tv shows also alot of video games

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Quad Core PC with a dope video card, HDMI out an Epson projector on 72" of screen.
Running XBMC and connected to Windows Home Server with 9TB of SANS/RAID storage.
Wireless keyboard & Android based remote control over wifi. Also running AMX home automation for lights, HVAC, security, etc. with a walk around tablet.

Played with all the others but decided on XBMC for its open architecture and its ability to play anything / any file format you throw at it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
the connection

mac mini (1TB server) behind a 32 vizio screen.

I use the app Iteleport, on my Iphone 4 and Ipad depending on where I am. I dont know if anyone is farmiliar with Iteleport but its an app that allows you to control your computer from anywhere in the world, it acts as a mouse and a keyboard. (wifi or 3g)

a great plus to all of this is my computer has no keyboard or mouse on it at home, so noone can log on to my computer when im not around (i mean, im sure someone could.. but certainly not MY roomates!)

anyways.. the whole "connection" works great. I also downloaded a program called "afloat" which allows you to control the transparency of different windows, so i can be surfing L4p or facebook, while watching a movie or show behind it. very cool stuff, people seem to enjoy it when they see it for the first time.

·
Registered
319 Posts
mac mini (1TB server) behind a 32 vizio screen.

I use the app Iteleport, on my Iphone 4 and Ipad depending on where I am. I dont know if anyone is farmiliar with Iteleport but its an app that allows you to control your computer from anywhere in the world, it acts as a mouse and a keyboard. (wifi or 3g)

a great plus to all of this is my computer has no keyboard or mouse on it at home, so noone can log on to my computer when im not around (i mean, im sure someone could.. but certainly not MY roomates!)

anyways.. the whole "connection" works great. I also downloaded a program called "afloat" which allows you to control the transparency of different windows, so i can be surfing L4p or facebook, while watching a movie or show behind it. very cool stuff, people seem to enjoy it when they see it for the first time.
Gary's setup is great. I basically copied him except I use the app rowmote for my keyboard/mouse and splashtop for virtual desktop. They do the same thing pretty much. This setup = apple FTW

·
Registered
56 Posts
This may be straying from the topic a bit but does anyone use Anchor Bay technology systems? Or receivers equipped with them? I have a Denon with an ABT2015 chip (I believe its the 2015 chip). For those that aren't in the know ABT (along with other brands) sharpen the image, scale, deinterlace and much much more. An example would be watching those non HD cable channels on your plasma/lcd/led and they look really bad, the ABT chip or standalone system sharpens that image to look almost HD. Or mediocre HD quality will look that much better. Just wondering if anyone other than me is up on the ABT stuff.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts