Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To keep the story short, my family just purchased a upholstered sofa manufacturer in the Montreal, Canada area. I'd be curious to know what you guys usually buy in terms of couches. Here's the website of the company (Jaymar.ca) Any feedback would also be great!

Thanks, David.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
When it comes to couches/chairs I'm boring, as long as its comfortable and reasonably priced I'll buy it. I remember I went shopping with a friend of mine in NYC and I sat on a $14,000 love seat that felt just as comfortable as a $1500 love seat.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Your may be asking the wrong guy here. Here is my idea of redecorating...

View attachment 145529
Haha, you know you're an hour away from High Point, NC right? Biggest furniture tradeshow is happening this week, go check it out!

When it comes to couches/chairs I'm boring, as long as its comfortable and reasonably priced I'll buy it. I remember I went shopping with a friend of mine in NYC and I sat on a $14,000 love seat that felt just as comfortable as a $1500 love seat.
Yeah, even I couldn't justify paying anything close to that price... Probably a designer markup. Don't get me wrong, we do have expensive couches but you're paying for a Canadian made product with the best quality grade leather.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have torn up a few couches in my lifetime, 2 key things to consider is the quality of the stitching and thread, and warranty (more importantly backing up the warranty when it applies). This was what can make you sell at any price (theoretically) and still have people buy.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We guarantee the structure for life, leather or fabric for a year (as long as no product is used on the leather) and 2 years on labor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
More importantly what happens once someone comes with a failed structure. Does your guarantee mean they get a new one off the assembly line to replace the broken one? or do they get their money back based on the market value. This should be clearly defined and upheld.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great question, to be honest it hasn't happened in 56 years in business... We'd replace depending on the particular case lol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't know if you guys have an Ashley Furniture out there but that's where I get my stuff from. They've been in the business since 1945 and alot of other big furniture companies buy product from them. They make great product, have great prices and good insurance too.

IKEA is a ripoff with a great business model. Make cheap simple shit and sell it at high prices with the maximum profit margins.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We had a few Ashley stores but they all closed down. The Quebec market is extremely unique... People buy local and want quality products (particular styles too) . I'm sure Ashley has amazing price points for their quality but were comparing a Honda to a Ferrari haha. We offer 6 grades of leathers in 200 colors and in almost any configuration possible.

I've bought Ikea stuff when I lived with an ex-girlfriend... Let's just say I left her everything when we broke up lol. Looks good but doesn't last..

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Don't know if you guys have an Ashley Furniture out there but that's where I get my stuff from. They've been in the business since 1945 and alot of other big furniture companies buy product from them. They make great product, have great prices and good insurance too.

IKEA is a ripoff with a great business model. Make cheap simple shit and sell it at high prices with the maximum profit margins.
Ikea's not expensive at all. You're definitely not getting Thomasville-quality furniture from them, but it's not bad.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ikea's not expensive at all. You're definitely not getting Thomasville-quality furniture from them, but it's not bad.
Unfortunately Thomasville is now mostly if not all imported from China.. Not the same quality it used to be but they still charge a premium.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Does your family have a history/passion for furniture design and creation or is this simply another business to add to a portfolio filled with other businesses?

as for suggestions, Loner nailed it, it all comes down to quality and warranty, perhaps you could offer extended warranty IF they use your products to care for the furniture? perhaps this could be another revenue stream? (furniture care products)

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Family has always been in the furniture business. We own and manufacture fabric and leather products (Couches, Sectionals and chairs) in Quebec, Canada.

We don't have a strong presence in the States but we do expose twice a year in High Point, NC... Our products are actually going to be in a few Cobb Theatres (CinéBistro) starting this fall.

For the furniture care products, unfortunately consumers usually buy that from the actual store. We only sell directly to designers, wholesalers and furniture stores. Our leathers are already treated from the factories so we don't recommend clients to put any creams or treatments on the leather or else it voids the guarantee of the product. We recommend dusting our products and then using a humid cloth. Unfortunately we can't control what stores do after our products are sold.

·
Banned
9 Posts
Home Furnishings Ideas

Home finishing is an important part of a home construction. You need to make sure your home is appealing for a home buyer to buy it fast. According to research, a home that is well furnished and appealing sells fasters. Also, staging has been seen to attract home buyers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts