Luxury4Play.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since joining the conversation here I've noticed a lot of attention paid to brand names and designer labels. As a stylist I have to convey this to my clients all the time that labels do not matter at all! Do not worry about labels! I can take 2 clients, both with a $10,000 budget, and for the first client only buy high end designer labels (Gucci, Fendi, Prada), and for the 2nd client only buy from the thrift store, and achieve the same result with both...someone that is absolutely striking when they enter the room...or walk down the street...or enter a meeting at work...or show up on their first date.

So how do you achieve that striking look? It's quite simple....(Drumroll please...) All you have to do is wear clothes that fit. Did you hear what I said? I just gave you a tip that will change your life. Wear clothes that fit your frame. Everyone's frame is different, so to ask a question such as, "What does everyone think of x,y,z pair of jeans" is futile at best. If someone doesn't like them who gives a shit! You have to develop your own personal sense of style. If you look good in a cheap $20 pair of jeans then you're much better off buying a few pairs of them as opposed to some brand name G-Star raw denim that doesn't do anything for you and makes you just look like a clone of everyone else.

I dress people for every occasion from the young executive that wants to woo some potential clients, to someone going on a first date, to someone attending a non-profit gala and it all starts from the same place...you start with clothes that fit your frame.

Guys: If you're going out on a date, WEAR CLOTHES THAT FIT!
Ladies: If you're going out on a date, WEAR CLOTHES THAT FIT!

There's nothing worse than seeing someone wearing all sorts of designer labels and they look absolutely sloppy in their ensemble. The shirt is too big or too small or too full. The pants are too baggy, the belt they have is not the correct fit for their ACTUAL waist size.

Whenever I go out, I make sure that I'm the most impeccably styled person there. I'm a stylist, that's what I do, but A lot of that is based on the fact that I wear clothes that fit. Even if you're personal style dictates that you like to wear baggy jeans....the same still applies. Wear baggy jeans that fit!

I wrote this to try and help those out there that are developing their sense of style, those that have no style, and those that feel they have to rely on labels to "look good." Wear clothes that fit and you've won half the battle. Whether it's brand name, designer label, or no name from a fire sale at J.C. Penny, wear clothes that fit and you will look ten times better than most people you encounter on a daily basis.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I agree on the fitment statements.. only issue there is for those that dont have the time to spend shopping for individual pieces for that perfect fit.

Maybe a thread with "what are you wearing today" similar to that posted in the Watches section is in order..

·
Registered
269 Posts
^^agree'd, no time to hunt and find the right ones that fit. Takes a lot of work and time lol

To the OP: any tips on how to choose a proper set of shades? Which kind of frames for diff. kinds of faces?

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
Only question I have is why is it cool these days to dress like a fag?!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Only question I have is why is it cool these days to dress like a fag?!
I am not gay, but this thread went to hell quickly...

I do have gay friends though and that is a bit offensive as well as an incorrect statement...being straight I still dress better than some of my gay friends...

Just because I spent the time to go get fitted for my suit (a few times) is not gay it means that I care about what a client or potential clients first impression is of me. If you take care of the way you look and dress, gives the sense that you care about your product. Whether that is the way it should be or not, it is the way it is...

·
Banned
164 Posts
Can we request a thread about how to make something fit? What makes clothing fit? What part of the body is the "correct" place that you judge wither something fits or not?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Can we request a thread about how to make something fit? What makes clothing fit? What part of the body is the "correct" place that you judge wither something fits or not?
I think that would be a great thread, not many people actually know what fits them...

To answer your question it depends on the type of clothes. For a suit there are a lot of variables, the basics being, sleeve/pant length, seat, chest, shoulders... I could keep going.

A well fitted suit makes all the difference.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Time is really the issue, when I go out clubbing or for supper I usually try looking good. The big problem is that I don't have 3 hours to try on jeans and shirts that fit me perfectly so I usually just go with name brands and if they fit then that's fine, I know I look good and I know people are going to notice me.

·
Registered
159 Posts
op, do you know of any slim fit shirts that are tighter around the waist, and looser around the chest (for men) ?

i used to wear a lot of express 1mx fitted, but those are starting to look loose on me around the waist.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
I am not gay, but this thread went to hell quickly...

I do have gay friends though and that is a bit offensive as well as an incorrect statement...being straight I still dress better than some of my gay friends...

Just because I spent the time to go get fitted for my suit (a few times) is not gay it means that I care about what a client or potential clients first impression is of me. If you take care of the way you look and dress, gives the sense that you care about your product. Whether that is the way it should be or not, it is the way it is...
THIS x eleventy billion. Gay men can dress like complete schlubs, and straight men up to their elbows in poon can dress NICELY. Has nothing to do with sexual orientation.

We ladies check men out, as you do us. We look for clean fingernails, clothes from at least the current decade, shoes that aren't falling apart and scuffed to all hell, basically we take interest in the guy who looks like he considers how he presents himself and makes an effort. Just because he does this doesn't mean he's off to look for a cock to suck.

SO tired of the "fag" argument, it is offensive and childish.

·
Registered
7,806 Posts
I only do Dolce and Gabbana for shirts and tees because the cotton they use is awesome and comfortable and actually fits me to a tee! I have been disatisfied with all others... :(

·
Registered
376 Posts
What suck is being a big guy very little stuff out there for us. Anything that fits my shoulders chest and gut (Iknow I'm working on the belly) is way to long, I keep saying I should start a clothing company for people like me.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I believe the fit is part of the equation. Personally, I also take the quality of the garment into consideration. I work in the fashion industry, so I know my fit/style.

·
Registered
7,806 Posts
Could you elaborate on this a little more, is there a specific style that your talking about?
I'm sure i know what he means. men wearing tight fitting shirts and jeans. Gays started that trend and then jersey shore arrived with it and now douches do it.... :eek:hwell:

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
I'm sure i know what he means. men wearing tight fitting shirts and jeans. Gays started that trend and then jersey shore arrived with it and now douches do it.... :eek:hwell:
Thank you.

+ pinks shirts, huge ridiculous gucci sun glases, pink ties etc, plucked eyebrows, shaved everywhere..

Just look at what is the "cool" picture of a "male" rolemodel today in cinema and on tv...

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Pink is a great color on a man. They're all trying to get up in some pink, why not wear it?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.