Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
If bulletproof clothing and bodyguards are just not enough, you definitely need an armored vehicle. Texas based tuner Hennessey Performance has now announced the 2012 Hennessey VelociRaptorAPV, which is based on the Ford F-150 Raptor Super Crew. The armored vehicle is powered by a supercharged 6.2L V8 engine capable of 575 horsepower. Offering an ultimate combination of armor protection, vehicle performance, passenger comfort and safety, the VelociRaptor APV/SUV boasts off-road capabilities and is available in both armored and non-armored versions. It seats up to eight passengers and the electronic upgrades include Satellite TV, high-speed internet, entertainment systems and mobile office systems.

John Hennessey, company founder and president, said…

Adding armor protection to SUV’s such as Chevy Suburbans and Cadillac Escalades can easily increase vehicle weights from 6,000 lbs to over 10,000 lbs. We are excited to be able to apply our 20 years of high-performance experience to the armor vehicle industry.

The Hennessey APV division also offers complete high-performance upgrade systems for other vehicles, such as the Cadillac Escalade, Chevrolet Suburban, Range Rover and the Toyota Land Cruiser. Pricing for the non-armored Hennessey VelociRaptor SUV starts at around $150,000 and goes as high as $250,000 depending on power level, interior and electronics upgrade options. The armoring will cost you another $100,000 to $200,000. Around 50 units will be made each year.
From the pic link

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
that price is ridiculous

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
I posted this in the other thread about this as well, but I'll post it here too because I think it is just cool. lol

The inspiration for this was several comments by people that they could see a "new bronco" in this.

So I fired up Photoshop on my woefully underpowered laptop for five minutes and made one:

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
I actually talked to John yesterday about this when I showed him the 2-door version. I had made a comment about how I could see ICE or Border Patrol picking them up for use along the southern border.

The issue, he said, was price and went in to it some. I know it looks like an Expedition with a Raptor front clip on it, but it isn't. The engineering for it is complicated. So you combine that with the cost of tooling for such a limited number of units and you end up with a pretty high price tag.

I don't see how it is really that far outside the realm of reason when lesser vehicles (in concept anyway) cost more. An armored Suburban without the extra power and go-anywhere ability costs well over 100k.

Sure, it is expensive, but you're getting more for the money than you will with many other things.

That said, the primary market is most likely going to be the middle east and possibly some south America.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
The thing about and armored truck is the weight it would defeat the purpose of the Raptor Platform. But to each thier own Hennessy has some great upgrades for the Raptor but their prices are insane. Twin Turbos for $65k in a $50k truck?

·
Deer Whisperer
5,493 Posts
What good is an 10k pound offroad pre runner going to be? Completely counter productive.

Like making a sprinter wear a full backpack.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
What good is an 10k pound offroad pre runner going to be? Completely counter productive.

Like making a sprinter wear a full backpack.
Pre-running isn't the idea.

Think of a high-powered "contractor" in Kabul or Medellin. They aren't looking for this thing to jump dunes. The main idea is giving those who need the protection a bit more of an edge by having more power and the ability to traverse more terrain than you could in a standard Suburban/Expedition/Etc.

Where you'll see most of them is in the middle east though.

·
Deer Whisperer
5,493 Posts
Pre-running isn't the idea.

Think of a high-powered "contractor" in Kabul or Medellin. They aren't looking for this thing to jump dunes. The main idea is giving those who need the protection a bit more of an edge by having more power and the ability to traverse more terrain than you could in a standard Suburban/Expedition/Etc.

Where you'll see most of them is in the middle east though.
I guess I can see that. But then why not start with a super strong chassis like a 2500 Suburban and have KORE build a suspension and then you would have a heavy undercarriage, which is where you want the strength and a custom suspension, which you will have to do anyway under the Raptor?

It seems very counterproductive from an engineering standpoint. Looks more like a good marketing ploy.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
For $250k you'd think they could have got rid of that terrible grille. Based off the F150.. gas powered 6000lb truck? Are you kidding me?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hennessey is a crook, a thief and a liar. Why anybody continues to risk their money with him is beyond my understanding.

There's a reason he's filed bankruptcy and closed up on shop only to open under another similar name at least half a dozen times.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts