To Buy or Not to Buy

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I'm new to the site so I don't know if this will even show up. I am contemplating purchasing my friend's white superleggera and just can't seem to make up my mind. I know the white ones are rare. He's the original owner. It has approximately 6,000 miles. It's 560 hp (had some chip put in when he purchased it). Do you think this will increase in value since there are only 9 whites left? And if so, how much do you think it will be worth in years to come? Any ideas. I just don't know what to do. Thanks. Wendy :)

·
Registered
730 Posts
hey wendy, welcome to the 4! :D

I cant help you much since Im not too much into that type of business, but I know if you want the value to increase on a car over the years (Im assuming that you'll keep it with the low miles over the years and then sell it as a profit) you have to keep it as stock as possible. imagine that after 20 years there are 2 white S/L's for sale, both low milage.. but one is totally stock and the other is tuned etc. which one do you think would have the most value?

but like I said Im not much into it, or maybe Im wrong.. Im sure one of the big boys around here on the site will help you :D

edit: to answer your question short, yes I think it will increase over the years, just dont mod it if u want more value

·
Registered
788 Posts
SL prices have been dropping steadily over the last 2 years. White is rare and special but I wouldnt expect to see profit out of the car anytime soon though it may not go alot lower. What fun is having it and not driving it. Buy a CD if you want a 6% return.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
You have to remember a car is a depreciating asset. If you want to keep the car for more then a few months, don't expect to seek a profit. Yes, a white SL is definitely rare, but I don't see a profit in them if you plan on keeping it. You mentioned years to come so I think you want to have it for a while. The car is a blast and you will love every second with it. Another note, it depends what he is selling it to you for.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for your reply. I think he wants $170,000 but I want to get it for $160,000. Do most people finance these exotics??? I'm sure Jay Leno doesn't, lol. Wendy :)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
170 and 160 is still way to high even for white. last one i knew of sold for 140 to give you an idea. if its in that price range then it would be a great buy. at that price i would buy it if you don't.

·
Registered
323 Posts
170 and 160 is still way to high even for white. last one i knew of sold for 140 to give you an idea. if its in that price range then it would be a great buy. at that price i would buy it if you don't.
I need what you are smoking..140K for a a one owner White SL>.yea right..and there are what 8 more for sale out there right now,,

Lets not throw around BS wholesale numbers..

for the USA there were 11 White SL cars made..and it is worth what ever you want to pay for it, and what ever he wants to sell it for..you dont have any others to pick from..

BUT all SL cars are ABOVE $140K with out question and the white command more then a standard SL car..

So buy for the joy of it....not the norm of it...

·
THE ONLY MAN THAT CAN™
23,169 Posts
I know Fred sold his for def more than 140 by far. Also I heard that one was destroyed so there is less but Roy def knows better.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
i know that my friend did sell his white one for 140. yes it was wholesale and yes it didn't have ceramics. yes white demands more money i didn't disagree with that one. but 170 even at retail you know thats high. granted that's not saying he won't get but again just like you said the car is only worth what someone is willing to buy it for. i know of three again non white ones that sold in that 140 range within the last six months. they were bought to tt and then flipped. the last white one that was floating around was sold by newport i believe for 160 ish if i'm not mistaken. either way the white ones are a beauty and yes like roy said you buy the car to enjoy it.

I need what you are smoking..140K for a a one owner White SL>.yea right..and there are what 8 more for sale out there right now,,

Lets not throw around BS wholesale numbers..

for the USA there were 11 White SL cars made..and it is worth what ever you want to pay for it, and what ever he wants to sell it for..you dont have any others to pick from..

BUT all SL cars are ABOVE $140K with out question and the white command more then a standard SL car..

So buy for the joy of it....not the norm of it...

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Thanks so much for your reply. I think he wants $170,000 but I want to get it for $160,000. Do most people finance these exotics??? I'm sure Jay Leno doesn't, lol. Wendy :)
Wendy, you can most definitely finance the car if needed. Take Roy's advice though. He definitely knows his Lambos. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Befriend a wholesaler, and you can then probably get a car for sub 140's

I am contemplating purchasing my friend's white superleggera and would love input. I have ambivalent feelings over it because of the cost. Do you think it will increase in value? And if so, how much? He's the original owner and babies the car and only had track time once, not even in sport mode. Thanks Wendy
Stay away from tracked vehicles, any type of tracked vehicles. If a dealer had known that he had tracked the vehicle, well good luck trying to get anything warrantied for the car, because the dealer will just blame anything on the tracking of the vehicle. The car will not increase in value. Almost no modern cars are going up in value unless you want to pay plus 700k for cars even the mighty bugatti veyron have dropped over a million dollars in the past 3 years.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you from everyone who answered me; I have no idea where this message will end up. I most likely will buy the white SL if my financing comes through. Keep your fingers crossed as I need some good things happening in my life! Wendy

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
id ballpark the value at $145-$160 at the highest (and i think that is over pricing it)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts