Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Wife and I are looking to have a home built in Port Orange, FL we have been talking to a builder in a subdivision we really like but they are all set floor plans. We really like modern homes but have not been able to find any builders. I saw some Prefab Modern Homes in Dwell Magazine and am thinking about finding a lot and going that route. I have not been able to find one that is available in the Central Florida Area. Does anyone on here have any suggestions?

The traditional home we are looking at having built is 5 bedrooms, 3.5 baths and 2800 living sq/ft. It will cost $207,000. Can I get a pre-fabed Modern somewhere in that size and same price range?

Thanks

-Mike

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
resale is pretty rough on prefabs...How long do you plan on being in the home?

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At the least 5 years. After doing some more research today it seems even if I could get one here the price would be to high for the area. I would never be able to sell it. The few I have found avg 300 per sq/ft. That's the average in this are floats around 100. I'll probably go with the traditional. I'll post pics once the build starts. Should be around Mid December

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
$300 per square foot, seems to be a pretty average price for the newer modern/green pre-fab homes. What blows my mind is you can get a house stick built for you at $74 a foot. That is insane. I'm a builder in The Hamptons, NY and we are struggling hard on a "concept home" just to reach $200 per square foot. FL is so much cheaper to build.

I read Dwell magazine too, there are some really cool ideas in there.

I'm surprised you can't find anybody to build you something more modern??

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The problem is the area we like Port Orange, FL (On the coast near Daytona) is pretty much all subdivisions with traditional homes. Yeah, the price for the traditional built is great. They are a quality private builder also. My dad did construction in Boston,MA for years and said it's one of the few builders that can come close to how they built up north. It is also a real brick exterior all around the first floor which I like. I'll post pics once it gets started.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts