Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start off by saying I am a Nikon guy.

I have $1,200 dollars to spend.

I need a Good DSLR, tripod, extra lenses etc.
(I had a D40 for a while)

What would you get? I am going to be mostly shooting interior and exteriors of houses, cars etc.

Basically put together your ulitmate package.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Lenses are about 85-90% of photography, the body is just a conduit.
If you're going to be shooting architecture and cars, I would have a look at a Sigma 10-20 or a similar type WA lens.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive decided on a D40.

So a Wideangle would be a good choice?

Would love some input fellas

·
Registered
299 Posts
I would go with a D90. A flash is a good idea. Look into a SB-600. You want a cheap but good lens? Also look at the 50mm 1.8 called the "Nifty Fifty". That is a great lens for the price. It should be around 120-130. You can also look at the 35mm1.8. that is about 200 or so. Another great lens. Both by Nikon. Get a tripod....manfrotto. Also grab a wireless nikon remote. It is like under 20 bucks. Also what the others said, those are good choices as well.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'd recommend a 12-24 sigma or nikon lens. I shoot real estate and find the 10-20 really distorts a room, but the 12-24 not as much, thus making it less "fake" to the viewer/potential buyer. That's my 2 cents. The D40 is a nice camera too. You should be happy with it. Keep in mind though, you can get a used D200/300 for cheap these days if you can search for them.

As for flashes, if you plan on doing off-camera lighting, make sure the flashes have pc ports. The sb600 does not (as a noob I bought it without knowing any better), but the sb800 does. I primarily use 2 sb24's for my off camera and use a hotshoe attachment for my sb600 on camera.

Brian

·
Registered
25 Posts
go with the D90... the D4o is a good camera but you are limiting what lenses you can use... the D40 will only work with AFS lenses. the D90 will work with any auto focus lens for nikon and you can use older manual focus lenses... you can get a D90 for about 800.00 new and a nice 24-120VR used for another 300-400 bucks... the D40 also doesn't use nikons Creative Lighting System.. and if your serious about it you'll want to get your flash off of the camera asap...

·
Registered
25 Posts
incase you don't know what the creative lighting system is... the D90... or better nikon cameras... will control nikon flashes.. SB600, SB800, SB900 via an inferred transmitter... no need for a PC port.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts