Luxury4Play.com banner

41 - 60 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
That ride you posted Hoon has the Rally wheels. From what I know about engines, it has a lumpy cam. Lumpy cams give the engine that uneven idle and are usually better at higher RPM's. If you want to get into the engine, I'd go with a street / strip cam and a moderately aggressive intake. Gives you a nice amount of power with a good 2x4 carb and good exhaust flow. When it comes to exhaust, if you can pull it off I'd built my own. Go with resonators instead of mufflers and 3" piping. Coupled with proper cats, you have a serious b!tch to **** with. Touch up with some chromw (wheels, bumpers, mirrors, etc. and black with red stripes... makes for a hell of a ride.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
In the end Hoon, please let us know what your budget is. I know this is personal and sometimes not exactly what we want to share on a site such as this, but we could give advice based off of cost. I understand style very well, if I may say so myself. I side towards the old school "fvck!!!!" than the new school "I don't know how I feel about that". There are plenty like me and those who have given their input are a lot like me. Give us a budget man and we can give you the areas you need to focus on as well as the areas you should consider doing yourself.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Sorry, I wasn't clear...that IS my car currently ;-) I'm Anthony! Nice to meet ya!
I'm sorry, I'm just a tad drunk ATM. Please Hoon, let us know what your budget is for this project. No matter the project, unless dirt cheap, we can make it work. Dirt cheap projects end up with major sacrifices IMO. While they can still make you happy, the end result is not the "life time goal" if you get what I mean.

·
Banned
2,798 Posts
From what I saw in the video the car seems to be in good condition aesthetically. If it is rusted around and whatnot I'd say grind it off and cover it up with some puddy and sand it to a close finish. If you're not into manual labor, I'm sure someone is willing to do it cheap as it's an easy job.

As Fastfords mentioned, it all depends on a budget. Most people who work with these cars do the labour themselves so they save alot of money. As previously mentioned, I'm not sure if you're willin to physically work on it or have the means to do so (tools, space) but your car seems to quite advanced already.

Keep us posted on purchases/ideas.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
To go into depth on what I said previously, dirt cheap projects can have a good conclusion. It ALL depends on your budget and how much work you are willing to do / learn yourself. Paint is A MAJOR expense in ANY car project. So if you are willing to learn how to paint, you'd be surprised at how well the end project can end up. As I said earlier, I've known a few people who decided to take on the painting them self and they ended up doing pearl paint jobs on their DD car because it saved them money. I'm talking Infiniti and MBZ cars and the end result was as good as factory.

It ALL comes down to what skills you are willing to learn yourself in order to lower costs. The good thing about matte paint colors is that they are the easiest to learn.

·
Banned
2,798 Posts
To go into depth on what I said previously, dirt cheap projects can have a good conclusion. It ALL depends on your budget and how much work you are willing to do / learn yourself. Paint is A MAJOR expense in ANY car project. So if you are willing to learn how to paint, you'd be surprised at how well the end project can end up. As I said earlier, I've known a few people who decided to take on the painting them self and they ended up doing pearl paint jobs on their DD car because it saved them money. I'm talking Infiniti and MBZ cars and the end result was as good as factory.

It ALL comes down to what skills you are willing to learn yourself in order to lower costs. The good thing about matte paint colors is that they are the easiest to learn.
I would beg to differ. I actually believe matte paint is harder to do properly on car heavily dominated by chrome. I helped my dad paint his old 69 Camaro and Jaguar (can,t remember which kind wasn't into jags then) and gloss colors seemed very easy. Although, when we had to fully our 1957 Chevy Bel Air matte black for a primer service it was very difficult.

Maybe this is due to the fact that it was a zinc coating primer and not exactly a paint but I remember that we had to do each piece separately because in the light you could have seen the different shades.

I mentioned the chrome because the light often bounces off the chrome and onto the car revealing the shade in detail.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I say matte is easier to paint due to the ease of being able to correct errors. When you lay down clear coats, you have to check if there are imperfections and you also have to buffer the paint every few layers if you want a stunning end result. But I'm not a professional, this is just what I've noticed. I could be completely wrong about mattes being easier. Mattes don't have clear coats which is why I say they are easier to paint.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
As for a budget...I would say around $1k for wheels and tires...seems cheap but those cragars are less then $100 each, torque thrusts are only $150.

About $1k for paint...I'll strip it myself, which should save some labor.

The mechanicals are well sorted for now. Future mods would include proper suspension upgrades, not just lowering springs :whistle: and a 4:10 or higher rear end (3:73 now)

Im not going overboard because its JUST an el Camino ...it's not matching numbers or an SS, so ill keep it reasonable and fun!

I'm not going to paint it myself because I don't want to invest in all that gear right now, plus I doubt I would do a good job ;)

·
Banned
2,798 Posts
As for a budget...I would say around $1k for wheels and tires...seems cheap but those cragars are less then $100 each, torque thrusts are only $150.

About $1k for paint...I'll strip it myself, which should save some labor.

The mechanicals are well sorted for now. Future mods would include proper suspension upgrades, not just lowering springs :whistle: and a 4:10 or higher rear end (3:73 now)

Im not going overboard because its JUST an el Camino ...it's not matching numbers or an SS, so ill keep it reasonable and fun!

I'm not going to paint it myself because I don't want to invest in all that gear right now, plus I doubt I would do a good job ;)
I agree with everything you said, except the 1k for paint. I'm not sure what kind of paint you're purchasing but I know for my car the paint alone is 2900$. ALthough I am getting paint/and many coats of clear. Wheels shouldn't be an issue, especially that you live in Cali parts are so easy and cheap to get.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Crappy paint for sure...just something to keep clean and look decent for about 5 years.

I'm also gonna do a big brake upgrade in a year or so. I might do sway bars and a steering wheel this time around though. Like Johnny Cash...one piece at a time!

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I think you have a general plan to work with. Now would be the time to go and get some quotes from local paint shops on what you want. Talk to them about the project and what you are considering doing. If you are willing to do the body work, a friendly painter will be willing to give you pointers so that he doesn't have to fix anything. The good and friendly painters love it when all they have to do is spray the car. I know of a few good ones in Cali that are used to painting custom rides where the owner is very hands on. Their paint jobs range in price from $1-2K all the way up to $10k and they do lots of work on Cobra replicas where the paint job is everything. Seriously, people that build replica Cobras often plan a $10K budget for paint. I believe when all is said and done, the average paint job is around $7K.

·
Banned
2,798 Posts
Crappy paint for sure...just something to keep clean and look decent for about 5 years.

I'm also gonna do a big brake upgrade in a year or so. I might do sway bars and a steering wheel this time around though. Like Johnny Cash...one piece at a time!
If by big brake you mean converting to a disc brake system than that will set you back quite a bit. The whole mechanism for it is quite pricy.

One piece at a time for sure! If you start bouncing around and doing half here and half there it will never get done. Any HD pics you can post?

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I have discs upfront already....drums in the back
That's what Mazza is talking about. Conversion from drum to disk for the rear can cost a few grand. You have rotors, calipers and hardware, if you do the front end to match you're looking at a pretty penny. But this is a long term project so taking it one piece at a time is best. Focusing on paint would be a good place to start.

·
Banned
2,798 Posts
That's what Mazza is talking about. Conversion from drum to disk for the rear can cost a few grand. You have rotors, calipers and hardware, if you do the front end to match you're looking at a pretty penny. But this is a long term project so taking it one piece at a time is best. Focusing on paint would be a good place to start.
Yup that's what I mean. You said you're looking at an 8 year project though so it shouldn't be an issue.

ALTHOUGH I DO WARN YOU... an el camino isn't like other classics, what you put in it MAY NOT be exactly what it's worth...

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
ALTHOUGH I DO WARN YOU... an el camino isn't like other classics, what you put in it MAY NOT be exactly what it's worth...
Yessir...this 1,000%!!! Like I said, its not a matching #'s car, not a Chevelle or Camaro, etc. I don't plan on ever selling it, but that dosn't mean I should just do everything at a 10/10.

·
Banned
2,798 Posts
Yessir...this 1,000%!!! Like I said, its not a matching #'s car, not a Chevelle or Camaro, etc. I don't plan on ever selling it, but that dosn't mean I should just do everything at a 10/10.
Then I definitely like the passion you have towards this car! Keep us updated!

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Motor came in from Blueprint yesterday afternoon...elkie towed to the shop this morning...Headman headers w/Flowmasters ordered....video of this trashy beast fired up again by early next week (Hopefully!!!)

41 - 60 of 121 Posts