Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of y’all know…I still have my first car: 1971 El Camino. Back in June, my new Blueprint Racing engine (installed May 2010) “broke” for lack of a better term…One of the lobes on the cam actually went “flat” and sent cute little pieces of metal throughout my motor. Bearings, crank, etc. were all scored up. Fast forward to today, Blueprint is actually covering the engine and labor. They are re-building it now in Nebraska and it should ship out this week. (Blueprint was AMAZING during this process and I highly recommend looking at their products for your next project. The value, warranty, and customer service is friggin’ top notch!)

This re-birth has motivated me to get the rest of the car/truck/car sorted out cosmetically…with a budget in mind.

As wheels/tires/stance goes…I’m feeling this guy’s setup (saw this on the Smoking Tire)…kind of a pro touring meets NASCAR vibe:

Sean_Rich_Pro_Touring_1973_Chevelle35-685x456.jpg Sean_Rich_Pro_Touring_1973_Chevelle06-685x456.jpg

The cool thing is those Cragers are CHEAP. I’m digging the yellow letters as well. If I go this route, I'll prob go with 17's all around with 275's out back.

Some other inspiration for the total package:

sucp_1011_01+1967_chevy_chevelle+left_front_angle.jpg
sucp_1011_11+1967_chevy_chevelle+left_side_angle.jpg
sucs_1046_01_o+mike_watts_1970_chevy_chevelle+side_view.jpg
sucs_1046_01_o+tim_bowes_1966_chevy_chevelle+front_view.jpg
sucs_1046_02_o+tim_bowes_1966_chevy_chevelle+rear_view.jpg

Some of my issues:
- Flat Paint? Satin Paint?
- Black out all chrome and trim?
- Would it look sick in WHITE? (I have black interior)

I’m open to almost anything here…I trust your guy’s taste and opinions…thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
If you want a black ride, I wouldn't do black chrome. Either paint the stuff you would chrome the same color as the body or stick with regular chrome. Maybe brushed aluminum? If it was my ride, I'd either go with black paint and hot rod flames or racing stripes. Black and red is always a good combo, silver works too. As far as rims go, I'd stick with a 5 spoke design. Anything else just seems off IMO.

Reactions: MazzaFiveOneFour

·
Banned
2,798 Posts
Yea I'd say make it clean, but not a ridiculous resto mod with 22's and a retarded sound system. Your engine setup is nice so if the car is tasteful I'd say you're good. I would NOT recommend black chrome and I'm wondering what your car would look like with crazy wide tires in the back... I'll check up a few on the internet and see if I find what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I'd go with a paint scheme like one of these rides...

Reactions: HoonEsq.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fellas...I used to run 275's back in the day and it looked good. Yeah, def no "extreme" diameter wheels; I'd say no larger than 18's (which look like plenty of wheel on these old muscle cars)

What do you thing about the first car I posted (the '73 chevelle)? I think I really like those wheels and that look.

·
Gold Sponsor
3,967 Posts
Thanks fellas...I used to run 275's back in the day and it looked good. Yeah, def no "extreme" diameter wheels; I'd say no larger than 18's (which look like plenty of wheel on these old muscle cars)

What do you thing about the first car I posted (the '73 chevelle)? I think I really like those wheels and that look.
The first car was my favorite. Those rims would give a nice classic vibe with a racing feel.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My goal is to one day have a ride WORTHY of a sick flame job...I don't think my car is it. Maybe a traditional hot rod, lead sled...etc.

I do like your idea about the stripes...its currently black with traditional white SS stripes on the hood. Would it be blasphemy to have stripes on the roof and the tailgate? I mean, its not a SS anyways! ;-)

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Hoon, do what you like. It's your ride. If you want my opinion, go with a 5 spoke design. It's hard to screw up with a simple 5 spoke design. If I went with a modern wheel it would be the ADV5.1SL. If I went with a classic style rim, it would be a Torque Thrust T70R or D.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Yes. For a modern rim, that would work nicely on a ride like that. With lots of sidewall, I think the rim would be at home in the wheel arches. Maybe have ADV1 do a custom job on the 5.1SL so that the spokes are wider. That would be a great look with like an extra inch in width on each spoke, in the middle parts. As for the stripes, I'd do with red SS stripes. If you add a hard bed cover, I'd swing the full length stripes.

El Camino fiberglass tonneau covers and lids.

Now do full length SS stripes and you get what I'm talking about. Hell, you could probably add a small deck wing to it. If you don't like the red stripe idea, go with SILVER. Black with silver stripes looks a hell of a lot better than black with white stripes.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Silver stripes...

red stripes...

Ok so it's a Camaro but you get the picture.

I'd only go with white stripes on a blue or red car. Speaking of tail gate stripes though...

·
5,744 Posts
Every time I come in this thread, I'm on my phone. I'll have some suggestions tonight when I get on my laptop.

Hoon is it basically factory from an aesthetics point right now?

-Markus-

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I agree with the guys that a five spoke wheels does seem to be a good fit for these cars. This is a bit different than your other ideas but the silver paint with silver crager looking wheels looks slick. Black grille is a nice touch too.

Remainder of photos: 1969 Chevy El Camino Front View Photo 8

Very cool that you still have your first car. I've always read you had the El C but didn't realize it was your old girl.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep...its completly factory. Black with 2 white SS stripes on the hood, skinny ass rally wheels (which are cool and will be kept on my wall!) It also has the SS-style cowl induction hood. It's almost Identicle to the '72 posted above by FastFords.

I'm feeling the black with red stripes actually. I need to get over my fear of extending the stripes...why should I be limited by GM's mistake?!? ;-)

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So there was also THIS setup from Cars & Coffee, which I love on this car, but I don't know if I can swing it:
Chal.jpg

Interplay between the flat or satin with gloss paint, gold or bronze wheels. It has a early 70's Tran-Am series look to it. Thoughts? Too much?

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I'm feeling the black with red stripes actually. I need to get over my fear of extending the stripes...why should I be limited by GM's mistake?!? ;-)
You shouldn't! GM was stupid to just do the stripes on the hood. The Camaro is the only car that had the stripes extend onto the back of the car as more or less SOP. The Chevelle had the stripes go onto the trunk as well in a lot of cases. What I never understood is why Chevy never put stripes on the roof. Go with a hard bed cover and do full SS stripes.

Now that I brought up the Chevelle, my favorite was the 1971-72 model years for that ride. I'm in love with the round tail lights on a raptop, with the 454!

Hoon, I dig the flat black with gloss black stripes. That would be sweet.

·
Banned
2,798 Posts
Look up cragar wheels, great for classic look. I'm getting those for my 57 Chevy and I think you'd like them on your car. Classic rough feel and really brings the muscle. It makes your car look powerful aswell. I would post a picture but for random reasons I can never post pictures as it doesn't work.

Cragar Series 612P S/S Super Sport 2-Piece Aluminum - Polished : Cragar Wheels My opinion. NOTE: THEY LOOK MUCH BETTER ON A CAR THEN THEY DO ALONE IN A PICTURE.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Mazza, that is why I suggested Torque Thrust wheels. Crager is old school and sweet but I always liked Torque Thrust a little more.

Hoon, now that I'm thinking about it, I would have a hard time picking between gloss black and silver stripes, gloss black and red stripes, and flat black with gloss black stripes. Fvck they all seem so damn sexy. Maybe gloss black with matte red?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great minds think alike! I had 16" chrome Cragar s/s's on it with white letter BFG comp t/a 275's...my dad put them on his black '67 Chevelle 396 SS while I was in law school...which is why I have the skinny ass ralley's off of his car.

BTW, the black steel wheels in the OP are Cragar "Soft 8's"

Oh, and thanks for all your help guys! I know this isn't the most luxurious of cars/topics! I really do appreciate it!

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
FVCK!

GAME OVER!

Reactions: olle and HoonEsq.
1 - 20 of 121 Posts