1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I think the decision remains with you. What are you shooting with now, and in thinking through how you use your camera, toward what range do you find yourself gravitating? The 17-50 at its widest on a cropped digital back will only be 'wide', while a 24-70 at its widest will be more normal; at their longest though, the 24-70 will give you a little extra reach which some might find beneficial. Sigma is definitely, at least amongst Nikon users on another forum, very popular with good quality and performance for the money.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Is this your only lens or what other lenses do you have? Are you sticking with a crop camera for awhile or is full frame in the near future for you?

Tamron also has a 24-70/2.8 with VC that gets rave reviews; that focal length is typically more suited for full frame since its not all that wide on a crop, but if you have wider options for your camera they work well.

What do you like to shoot the most? cars, people, travel, all-around?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Have you used any of these? I'd rent each one and take a variety of shots, compare the results and limitations of each.

·
Registered
377 Posts
What lenses do you have now? I currently have the Sigma 17-50 and rarely take it off. It's takes really good quality pictures with little to no chromatic distortion. The only problem I occasionally have is the focusing seems to be a bit jumpy at times.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think the decision remains with you. What are you shooting with now, and in thinking through how you use your camera, toward what range do you find yourself gravitating? The 17-50 at its widest on a cropped digital back will only be 'wide', while a 24-70 at its widest will be more normal; at their longest though, the 24-70 will give you a little extra reach which some might find beneficial. Sigma is definitely, at least amongst Nikon users on another forum, very popular with good quality and performance for the money.
Shoot with a Canon 18-135 or a Canon 40mm at the minute. I did have a Sigma 10-20mm over a year ago but got rid of it since I didn't use it all that much. The reason I wanted to get the 17-50mm was because its an f2.8.

Is this your only lens or what other lenses do you have? Are you sticking with a crop camera for awhile or is full frame in the near future for you?

Tamron also has a 24-70/2.8 with VC that gets rave reviews; that focal length is typically more suited for full frame since its not all that wide on a crop, but if you have wider options for your camera they work well.

What do you like to shoot the most? cars, people, travel, all-around?
Other lens I've got are the 18-135 & the 40mm Canon's. To be honest, I don't really carry my camera around all the time, unless I go to a particular event or such. Not a big photographer by any way. So don't think I'll upgrade to a FF anytime soon. Heck, I sometimes even think if I need another lens at the minute. But for some reason, I thought I'll get rid of the 18-135 and put in some cash to get the 17-50 or the 17-70 Sigma. With the 18-135, I rarely end up zooming all the way, so don't think I need such a tele lens.

I've was looking at a few reviews of the Tamron, and apparently the non IS version is the better sharper one. And it's got a loud AF motor which wouldn't be good while shooting videos I guess.

What lenses do you have now? I currently have the Sigma 17-50 and rarely take it off. It's takes really good quality pictures with little to no chromatic distortion. The only problem I occasionally have is the focusing seems to be a bit jumpy at times.
I've been debating between the 17-50 and 17-70 for over a week now and I do think the 17-50 would be the better one since is constant f2.8. Now the thing is if I get the 17-70, I guess around 50mm mark the aperture will drop a few stops, and maybe will be on par with the 18-135 I've got now.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you used any of these? I'd rent each one and take a variety of shots, compare the results and limitations of each.
Not easy to find places where they rent these out around where I live.. Not too many places stock it (none actually) so can't even go check it out in person.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts