Luxury4Play.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So....the decision fell. im going to switch to Porsche :)

but now i have a problem, i cant, for the love of god decide between a MK1 or a MK2.

see, the thing is this. i testdrove a 3.8L yesterday, and fell completely in love with it.

my budget is about 100-maximum of 110 grand ( in EURO of course )

for that money i can get a pretty nice and tidy 3.6L with low milage.

but now i have two 3.8's in that pricerange as well.

but here is the catch. both cars are Red/white, wich i dont like very much, both are ex porsche sportscup cars, so both had minor accidents. and come with absolutely NO equipment.

we are talking even AC delete. alltho they both come with Porsche approved warranty. i am not sure if thats something i want. of course i am going to use it on the track, but its also going to be
something to treat myself on a nice summer day and rip some country roads.

yes, i do know the 3.8 has: more tourque, more HP, has the nifty PSM system and most importantly the active motor mounts.

but is that enough to justify choosing a "driven to the bone" race car over a nice and tidy MK1. ?

alltho my biggest question is, how big is the performance gap ? coming from an M3 i sure know both, mk1 and mk2, are going to be a massive jump.

but now that i have driven the 3.8 will i be satisfied with the 3.6 ? :)

If i buy a gt3 rs, its going to be a car that i will want to keep at least 4-5 years.

thank you a lot in advance :)

·
Registered
538 Posts
From my experience the gap is pretty noticeable but that being said, the 3.6 is still a fantastic car. I personally like cars very raw and would have no problem purchasing a "driven to the bone" race car. However, I would have a problem with the accidents. I never want to purchase a car that has been involved in an accident. You never know in that kind of situation...

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From my experience the gap is pretty noticeable but that being said, the 3.6 is still a fantastic car. I personally like cars very raw and would have no problem purchasing a "driven to the bone" race car. However, I would have a problem with the accidents. I never want to purchase a car that has been involved in an accident. You never know in that kind of situation...
with "driven to the bone" i did not mean, that it was to empty hardcore for me, i meant it was used verry heavily as a race car for one racing season. Stuff like that just leaves its marks in the chassis.

·
Banned
1,171 Posts
Stay away from shit that was hit or raced. That's a slippery road...

Excellence mag always says 'buy the newest lowest mileage 911 you can...'

Good luck. I'm sure you'll be happy either way.

·
5,744 Posts
Any RS is going to be an investment to be honest. The big talk in the Pcar community is how valuable manual, hardcore RS' are going to be in the coming years with the implementation of full PDK on all Gt cars.

The 996 and 997.1 with the Mezger based engine has, from what I've read, fewer issues. The big issue with the 3.6 is the RMS. but since its been around longer, a lot of shops have said they have a fix for it. The 3.8 had variocam issues that the 3.6 doesn't have.

I think it's a toss up on the car, and how it was treated. That's going to tell you if you're going to have problems. I personally would go with the 3.6, and do a few upgrades. You're looking at max, a 30hp difference between the two. 410 for the 3.6 and 440 conservatively for the 3.8.

And no, I'm not an owner, just a fan who's been doing a lot of reading lately.

-Markus-

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i do know about the variocam issue. it was the bolts on tha variocam housing that came loose and the cam got knocked out of place. but from what i've heard they "secretly" fixed that problem within the first service with some different bolts. Also the 3.8 has that clutch issue, with the rivets coming loose and basically machiening out the bellhousing. but thats also a quick fix with a 4.0 clutch swap is screwed not riveted.

all in all, 3.6 and 3.8 are both pretty solid engines :) and the 3.8 is also a metzger engine ;) the new 991 gt3 is the first GT car to have the new DFI engine.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Not an owner, but I'd go for the 3.6- You're taking a lot of risk by buying a car that was crashed/tracked a lot. IMO, the power difference isn't worth the extra money for a well-sorted MkII.

·
5,744 Posts
.all in all, 3.6 and 3.8 are both pretty solid engines :) and the 3.8 is also a metzger engine ;) the new 991 gt3 is the first GT car to have the new DFI engine.
I guess I worded that wrong. I know the 4.0 is the last of the Mezger, and then the 9A1 takes over for future. Everything I've read, and I'm sure you've read all the same stuff, is that it really comes down to how it was driven, tracked, etc. 3.8's with aggressive track driving, have the cam adjuster issue, but you already know that.

I personally would go for a 3.6, less miles, hopefully a good solid warranty, and drive the piss out of it. Do some mods here and there, and before you know it, you're passed what a 3.8 would be putting out. I wouldn't mess with a car that's been used in competition, especially a 3.8. If it's out of warranty, I wouldn't want to deal with a motor replacement out of pocket, probably around 35-45k.

What's the track mileage on the 3.8's you're looking at?

-Markus-

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
Max, you just dont know to whom to talk to...

First things first-
Get the MK1!

Couple of reasons:

- You can have them green and orange from the factory - which are some of the most awesome colors a Porsche came factory new with- ever!
- The difference between the 3.6 and the 3.8 is indeed noticable- but not wort the the extra money. You dont really feel it. I say there isnt even much between the 996 GT3/RS and the 997 GT3/RS performance wise.

The HUGE difference comes with the 4.0 RS - which isnt in your budged- so forget about it!
- If you "get used" to the 3.6 you can still get an upgrade say from SharkWerks to 3.9.

If you have any specific questions about each one of them, just shoot. I'll be able to tell you everything from maintenance to the feel of each one, first hand.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess I worded that wrong. I know the 4.0 is the last of the Mezger, and then the 9A1 takes over for future. Everything I've read, and I'm sure you've read all the same stuff, is that it really comes down to how it was driven, tracked, etc. 3.8's with aggressive track driving, have the cam adjuster issue, but you already know that.

I personally would go for a 3.6, less miles, hopefully a good solid warranty, and drive the piss out of it. Do some mods here and there, and before you know it, you're passed what a 3.8 would be putting out. I wouldn't mess with a car that's been used in competition, especially a 3.8. If it's out of warranty, I wouldn't want to deal with a motor replacement out of pocket, probably around 35-45k.

What's the track mileage on the 3.8's you're looking at?

-Markus-
the thing is, with us in germany having the nürburgring and all, pretty much every GT3 or GT3 rs on the market has been to a racetrack.
and warranty is not the issue really. we get porsche approved warranty here in Germany. so no matter where you buy the porsche. if at a dealer or whatever and its run out of factory warranty. you can just take it to your lokal porsche dealer and get the extended warranty. you can choose between 1 and 2 years. it will cost you somewhere between 1.5 and 3 grand. Only thing is the car has to be less than 10 years old and under 80.000 km. and there you have a full factory warranty again :) this can be repeated until the car is either over 10 years old or over 80.000 km :)

as far as milage goes, both the mk1's im looking at are at about 17.000km so ca. 10.000 miles.
and the mk2's are at 11.000km ( 6.000 mls ) and 15.000km ( 9.000 mls ) BUT both have been raced in an amateur race series from day one. allthough the one with the 6000 mls recently had a full trans. and motor rebuild and a 4.0 RS clutch fitted.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Not to open Pandora's box but what you should really do is buy a 996 GT3, send it to Sharkwerks and have them bore the engine out to a 3.9.... I haven't driven one but I have a feeling you will soon forget about the 3.6 and the 3.8

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
no doubt the 996 is a brilliant car, but i just cant make friends with the looks ;)

ive thrown the mk2 gt3 rs idea overboard. since a friend offered me his 997 mk2 GT3 in guards red. maybe i'll take that one since i know exactly how its been treated :) its never been tracked, despite it has the clubsport pack and only has 13.000 mls on the clock :)

Reactions: Ac27
1 - 12 of 12 Posts