Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a mid 2010 15inch macbook pro that works great. I usually use this for personal use for things such as photos, video editing of family trips, and web browsing. The current RAM i have now is 4gigs which is ok for what I am doing, but my question is if its a major step up or upgrade in speed to 8gigs. I have noticed that it takes longer for me to open programs such as iTunes, iPhoto, and iMovie than before. Will upgrading to say 8 Gs of RAM make a huge difference? Has anyone ever upgraded from 4Gigs or ram to 8Gigs? Was there a huge difference? Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Am looking into do this here in the next week or so. You should see a big difference with the speed when you have multiple applications open at the same time.

What processor do you have?

super easy to upgrade ram in a Macbook Pro. Here's a video if you haven't seen it done before:

·
Registered
233 Posts
I went from 4gb to 8gb on my MBP and I definitely notice a big difference, especially since I like to run many programs at once. If you haven't already you can check the "Activity Monitor" on your computer to see if the Ram is close to maxing out.

The ram I got was only $50 and is pretty much the same stuff that Apple charges $400 for.
8GB Kit (4GBx2), 204-pin SODIMM, DDR3 PC3-10600 upgrades for Apple MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Intel Core i5 (13-inch DDR3) Early-2011 Laptop/Notebook, CT1895171 from Crucial.com

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Brosef, if you don't notice a difference you're doing it wrong. That being said, it is super easy to do, not all that expensive, and overall a very worthwhile update.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I did it a couple of years ago to my '09 MBP as well and it's a good difference especially for photo editing and other intensive programs. What really made a huge performance difference for me was an SSD HD upgrade. It's like a new computer all over again.

·
Registered
392 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
8 GB ram will not help you. 4 GB is more than enough. You might need a faster CPU/ video card. Get the new sandy bridge CPUs.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
8 GB ram will not help you. 4 GB is more than enough. You might need a faster CPU/ video card. Get the new sandy bridge CPUs.
you sure about that? I realize 4GB is enough for the normal everyday user but when you're using multiple processor intensive apps such as photoshop cs5, lightroom, firefox, and iTunes at the same time then your computer is going to slow down.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have a mid 2010 15inch macbook pro that works great. I usually use this for personal use for things such as photos, video editing of family trips, and web browsing. The current RAM i have now is 4gigs which is ok for what I am doing, but my question is if its a major step up or upgrade in speed to 8gigs. I have noticed that it takes longer for me to open programs such as iTunes, iPhoto, and iMovie than before. Will upgrading to say 8 Gs of RAM make a huge difference? Has anyone ever upgraded from 4Gigs or ram to 8Gigs? Was there a huge difference? Any help would be much appreciated.
Upgraded my Macbook Pro to 8gig's a few months back to run Parallels as it got real sluggish with the stock 4 gig's of ram.

I then did a clean install of OS X, etc... My lazy way of cleaning old junk off.

I run a few Adobe programs, chrome, outlook, parallels and a few programs within parallels no prob. Only thing I noticed is it takes double the time to boot up but after that its pretty smooth.

Upgraded my iMac to 8 gig's too.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
you sure about that? I realize 4GB is enough for the normal everyday user but when you're using multiple processor intensive apps such as photoshop cs5, lightroom, firefox, and iTunes at the same time then your computer is going to slow down.
1 Gb is good enough for everyday computing. I am using more apps than you right now ... only using 2.79 GB ram.

You want to enable GPU computing for PS. Never used light room but it should also support GPU computing since it is based on photoshop.

I am running core i5, SSD, and 4gb ram for personal/work laptop. My mac mini has the same set up with 8 GBram. (I do some virtualization testing.)

Ram doesn't really increase speed. RAM just lets you run more apps at a time ... after a certain point there is no need for more in personal computing.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
1 Gb is good enough for everyday computing. I am using more apps than you right now ... only using 2.79 GB ram.

You want to enable GPU computing for PS. Never used light room but it should also support GPU computing since it is based on photoshop.

I am running core i5, SSD, and 4gb ram for personal/work laptop. My mac mini has the same set up with 8 GBram. (I do some virtualization testing.)

Ram doesn't really increase speed. RAM just lets you run more apps at a time ... after a certain point there is no need for more in personal computing.
That was exactly my point. The more ram you have allows you to have more apps open.

lalasd said:
I thought you said that 8GB of ram won't help you? Yet you have it in your mac mini...:D

Haha just giving you a hard time.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Lion recommends a minimum of 2gb. I don't think I've even seen anything other than tablets and phones released with only 1 gig in a long time. That being said more memory can speed up the machine overall because in essence the OS won't have to move things around in memory to make things fit as much, so it is less taxing on the cpu. It might be a marginal difference depending on what you are doing, but still the improvement is there.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Just upgraded my Macbook Pro (Late 2011) to 8GB of RAM last night. Noticed a huge difference with my testing after I installed it. Opened up every application that I would normally use and the computer didn't skip a beat. Very worth the money.

Ferrari's Only - have you decided to upgrade yet?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just upgraded my Macbook Pro (Late 2011) to 8GB of RAM last night. Noticed a huge difference with my testing after I installed it. Opened up every application that I would normally use and the computer didn't skip a beat. Very worth the money.

Ferrari's Only - have you decided to upgrade yet?

Yes, I decided to upgrade to 8Gb of Ram. I plan on ordering it later on tonight. What brand did you end up choosing? I'm thinking of going with crucial. They seem to have the best reviews on the mac forums.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Yes, I decided to upgrade to 8Gb of Ram. I plan on ordering it later on tonight. What brand did you end up choosing? I'm thinking of going with crucial. They seem to have the best reviews on the mac forums.
Newegg.com - CORSAIR 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333 Memory for Apple Model CMSA8GX3M2A1333C9

That's what I ended up ordering. It has worked like a charm so far. It's amazing how many things you can have open and the computer not slow down.

CORSAIR 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333

1 - 20 of 20 Posts