Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been lurking for a while and thought this would be an appropriate first post. Posted this on 6Speed as well and obviously would like to get Gallardo owners' opinions...

This might be an odd comparison but I'm deciding between the two. I had my eyes set on a Gallardo for the past year but it looks like they have actually increased in price by about $8-15K for one with 15K miles or less. And to find a manual transmission is near impossible. I would be fine with Egear since it seems like the 2006's have fewer issues but a manual would be preferable. But the biggest issue is I can't really bring myself to pay more for a car I could have gotten for less last year.

Which is why now I am looking at the GT3 MK2's. When I first saw it reviewed in magazines I was blown away by the looks and how they increased the already great performance. But since I was set on a Gallardo, I didn't really think much about getting a GT3. Until now.

I currently have a 997 S and think I would miss the light and nimbleness of the Porsche on the road compared to a heavy AWD Gallardo. But I must admit part of the reason I want the Gallardo is the flash factor. Just too many 997's out here in Los Angeles!

But not GT3 MK2's. In fact, I have yet to see one on the road (haven't been going to many car meets lately). Anyway, I like the fact that the GT3 has amenities the Lambo would not such as full warranty, navigation (somewhat rare on the Lambo), and a good amount of alcantra in the interior. The performance, sound, and handling are givens. I also like the fact I can almost daily drive the GT3 whereas I'd have to be careful where I drive the Gallardo (I drive through all parts of L.A. frequently including shady areas). I would also need a 3rd car if I got the Gallardo (married).
Plus, maintenance issues and costs are a concern on the older Gallardo. My 997 S has been flawless and I would look forward to racking up miles on the GT3 without much regard compared to if I got a Lambo.
Anyway, sorry for the long post but any thoughts would be appreciated as I make this decision.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The Gallardo is available with NAV and as for a daily driver; there would be no significant issues. For the most part they are rock solid and they were created to be exercised on a daily basis.

Now as for you being in shady areas; whether in a Porsche or Gallardo I would say that this at best is a crap shoot so get the Gallardo to enjoy and a Prius to travel through the salt mines.

Takes care

Shadowman

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
You would not want to take a Lambo to shady areas. Your life may be at risk. The car draws a lot of attention.

My 2005 G has a few more problems compared to my 996. I really wish the G is as reliable as a Porsche but it just isn't. Also, parts can take a while to get. If you want a car that is as trouble free as a Toyota, definitely stick with the Porsche. You wont have to worry about electrical issues and CELs.

I would get a GT3RS and put on some sharkwerks exhaust. It'll give you a very satisfying sound. With an exhaust, the only downside left with the RS vs G is looks. Not too bad of a tradeoff considering all the other cons.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
i am partial to the lambos and not just cuz i work on them. they are a fun and completly different experience than the porsche. althouth you can never go wrong with a porsche the lambo does def have the flash factor. i have many clients that dd their lambo and have very little issues. the main thing is to stay on top of the service. which if you go through an independent like myself isn't as hard on the pocket as most may think. every car has there bugs but the main thing is the feel and vibe you get from the car. you don't buy a lambo because your afraid of getting attention. you will get it. and as long as you take care of it you can have a trouble free experience. the awd is very an awesome thing to have as well. so if you love the canyons the lambo will def be a better drive! if your going to some shady parts of town that is what the spare car comes in handy for. living in la a spare car is a must!

·
Registered
788 Posts
I have an '05 6spd G and have put 12k miles on it in a little over a year. The only problems I have experienced is an o2 sensor and the AC compressor took a poop. A FabSpeed exhaust made the sound unreal I could not see really considering the Porsche along with the G they are just so differant.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
In my opinion as the owner of both a 997TT.. and a Gallardo... On the automotive totem pole:

The Gallardo is here

And the Porsche is here.

No comparison inmo between the two.. The Lambo is far better looking, better built, just as, if not more reliable and 10X more exciting to drive..

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Allan knows wasssssup!

The good thing about the G is that you can save up and add a little somethin somethin to it and it go fast! Allan knows a little bit about that also :)

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
My friend has a GT3 and its funny because he always seems to be asking to drive the lambo but I dont ever recall me asking him for the gt3.. meh!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the comments. I'm leaning toward a Gallardo though they were cheaper last year. :eek:hwell: The GT3 MK2 would have been a nice step up from my 997S but if I'm going to spend the money, might as well take a drastic step away from what I've already had. Spoke to Roy at Cats Exotic about G's and got some great information.

Went to take a look at one today and saw this strange thing hanging out from the rear bottom of the G. Anybody know what this is and if it's normal?

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Id go with the porsche personely

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Thanks for all the comments. I'm leaning toward a Gallardo though they were cheaper last year. :eek:hwell: The GT3 MK2 would have been a nice step up from my 997S but if I'm going to spend the money, might as well take a drastic step away from what I've already had. Spoke to Roy at Cats Exotic about G's and got some great information.

Went to take a look at one today and saw this strange thing hanging out from the rear bottom of the G. Anybody know what this is and if it's normal?
It's the gear box / rear diff.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts

Did you drive it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did you drive it?
Yes. Drove it home. Goodbye for now, Stuttgart. Hello, Sant'Agata Bolognese.

It drives smoother than the 911S and the clutch is like butter. Now I just have to figure out the best way up the driveway...

Will post some pics shortly and will definitely be needing more info and advice from you helpful owners. Very excited. Thanks again for everyone's input.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
congrats on your purchase! looks fantastic in that colour.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts