Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a 2010 GT-R on Saturday. used by a friend 1500mi.
Thought steering wheel seemed a bit off. Figured it needed the 1k service anyway and this would be fixed by an alignment during the service. To make long story short, they have adjusted it 3 times and this is what it looks like when I am going straight down the hwy. Driving me bonkers. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Oh, well if the wheel is tilted does it drive straight? If so just remove the wheel and put it on straight as long as the teeth fit straight, if not tell them to align it again while checking the steering wheel for straightness.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tilted a couple degrees to the left. my e90 m3 was perfect. put the wheel perfectly straight and the car slowly drifts to the right.

·
Deer Whisperer
5,493 Posts
A good alignment shop can fix that in about five minutes. Go to a performance shop and not the Nissan dealership.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
as long as its driving straight i wouldn't worry about it... looks pretty straight

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A good alignment shop can fix that in about five minutes. Go to a performance shop and not the Nissan dealership.
now to find one of those "performance shop" places
i've had the gt-r tech and the service manager drive it
can I escalate this to Nissan?

·
Deer Whisperer
5,493 Posts
now to find one of those "performance shop" places
i've had the gt-r tech and the service manager drive it
can I escalate this to Nissan?
waste of time. The wheel looks straight enough. They will only mess with it and not get it right. You said that you've had it there three times and it is still crooked. Do you know what the definition of insanity is? It is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome each time.

Take it to a "performance shop"... which I don't know why you put that in quotations. It is a place where people take fast cars to get them tweeked and tuned. Ask around at car shows and local car clubs and see who they recomend.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
waste of time. The wheel looks straight enough. They will only mess with it and not get it right. You said that you've had it there three times and it is still crooked. Do you know what the definition of insanity is? It is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome each time.

Take it to a "performance shop"... which I don't know why you put that in quotations. It is a place where people take fast cars to get them tweeked and tuned. Ask around at car shows and local car clubs and see who they recomend.
I know T. I was just being a smart ass. I live down here in the asshole of the US and it's hard to get anyone to do decent work around here. I'm gonna ask around on FCHAT and some other sites.

·
Deer Whisperer
5,493 Posts
Find a good race car shop. They will be able to set the toe in and camber and also fix the steering wheel. If it is like most of the cars out there, it is no more than tightening a nut.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Find a good race car shop. They will be able to set the toe in and camber and also fix the steering wheel. If it is like most of the cars out there, it is no more than tightening a nut.
Yeah I know. It just seems so simple for the damn trained GT-R tech to not be able to fix it. I have someone in mind, i'll give him a shout tomorrow. Next time you drive yours T, tell me how the steering wheel sits.

·
Deer Whisperer
5,493 Posts
Yeah I know. It just seems so simple for the damn trained GT-R tech to not be able to fix it. I have someone in mind, i'll give him a shout tomorrow. Next time you drive yours T, tell me how the steering wheel sits.
It sits pretty straight. I have a hard time telling around here because the crowns in every road in Arkansas is either too steep or crowned the wrong way. All my steering wheels are jacked up.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
I have a friend that is a certified GT-R tech... he called me one day, because he had a problem with an SR20det.... he had the cam timing sensor plug installed upside down...

another time he came over with a coolpak strapped to his intake and told me it was cooling that air...

another time he never bled his brakes and went into a ditch and broke his leg...

another time on the SR20 he couldn't get anything to work. He never plugged the ECU in...

getting GT-R certified is easy. any ******* can get it. they are not engineers, they just do what the picture book says...

·
Registered
122 Posts
my dropped Lexus GS looed the same way. I had my guys do an alignment with me in the car and it was perfect. I am 320 lbs and 6'5" so I am larger than your average bear.lol. It was embarrassing but worked like a charm

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
It could be that the alignment machine at the dealer needs recalibrating. Its very very close, most people with most cars would never know the difference. But being a GTR with good tires and a decent suspension the car is a bit more sensitive to alignment specs. Like stated before, go to a race car shop that is more precise in there measurements. trust me, there is a huge difference!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
yeah it does seem a little tilted, If I were you I just take it apart, and fix it myself. but im sure that breaks warranty, but hell anything you do breaks warrants on that car
Take what apart? The steering column? That's not where the problem is and taking apart a steering column is not the easiest task...nor is it very smart to take the risk of voiding the warranty.

I had a similar problem with my old RSX when I installed my coilovers. Went to a race shop, had the car corner weighted, camber and toe adjusted and the steering wheel was dead center. Good luck and enjoy the new beast!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Take what apart? The steering column? That's not where the problem is and taking apart a steering column is not the easiest task...nor is it very smart to take the risk of voiding the warranty.

I had a similar problem with my old RSX when I installed my coilovers. Went to a race shop, had the car corner weighted, camber and toe adjusted and the steering wheel was dead center. Good luck and enjoy the new beast!
The wheel, just the wheel, and aligning it yourself. Aligning toe is STUPID easy.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
DO NOT remove your steering wheel! That is not your problem. That is just the result of a problem. The rear alignment can also affect the steering wheel being straight. All you need is a competent shop to do an alignment. And presto..problem fixed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts