Votes: 6 12.2%
  • Grey Market is Fine

Votes: 43 87.8%
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Silver Sponsor
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think about the growth of grey market and second hand watches? They have become more available online and through dealers than ever at better prices (ive seen around 25% off).

·
10,594 Posts
Gray market. AD's are almost always more. They typically have more overhead, a store front for example. In addition, they are sometimes limited by brands as to how much of a discount they can offer.

·
7,022 Posts
how does the grey market work on AP?

good deals to be had?
I've had AD's offer a significant discount on AP's; as much as 25-30% especially on old/new stock. Granted, it was thru a good repeated customer with the specific store. But, in general you could get another 10 back from gray market or even slightly pre-loved pieces.

·
Registered
362 Posts
you can usually get the same, or better, prices from an AD, do your homework and negotiate.
Agreed, my last 2 purchases from ADs were both below what grey dealers were advertising for the pieces. However, if you want a good price without negotiating, I think grey sellers are a great resource.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
We found that by building a relationship with an AD, he'll match grey market prices. I did buy a grey market watch for the bf and I got a great price, but I always wonder in the back of my mind whether or not what is inside the case is the movement that is supposed to be there.
This doesn't play into your purchases, gentlemen?
How could a buyer be sure they are getting what they actually pay for vs. a cheaper movement in the correct case?
My fear would be getting a watch that is refurbed cosmetically, but inside is replaced with something a normal consumer wouldn't know the difference about.

·
Silver Sponsor
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We found that by building a relationship with an AD, he'll match grey market prices. I did buy a grey market watch for the bf and I got a great price, but I always wonder in the back of my mind whether or not what is inside the case is the movement that is supposed to be there.
How could a buyer be sure they are getting what they actually pay for vs. a cheaper movement in the correct case?
My fear would be getting a watch that is refurbed cosmetically, but inside is replaced with something a normal consumer wouldn't know the difference about.
Buying from a grey dealer isnt necessarily like buying on the black market. Grey is the shunned watches that dont go through authorized dealers.

Im strictly talking about 100% authentic watches from reputable sources.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That normal consumer should stick to ADs ;)

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Lets look at it like this David (Cavallino Jewelers) would be considered a "Grey Market Dealer" I've bought 3 times pieces from him lately. The have been cleaned and straps changed from a local AD and I got them for almost $3k less than my AD would have charged me and I buy a significant amount from them every year. In the New Orleans area we are very limited to what we have avialble as far as High End watches, most people around here don't have any Idea of what Patek, IWC, Panerai even is......... I have no problem buying from a "Grey Market Dealer" as long as I trust in them............Same goes for a person..

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Not sure I realized that David would be considered grey. The Tag I bought was from a grey mkt online seller - saw a bunch of online reviews after the fact where buyers claimed they were sold watches that were questionable. We didn't have issues, but it brought up questions.

Maybe I'm more trusting when there is a face/personality behind am online moniker. I'd certainly buy from David or Ken.

I'd be less likely to buy from someone reselling something they got from an online grey market dealer, I prefer an accountability trail, but that's just me.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i was told yesterday that every watch from a gray market seller is not "new". even if they are not worn, they have exchanged hand once since manufacture in the US or overseas. i guess every used watch can be made brand new again if you know how.

having said that, i have purchased few from gray market and i was able to do my homework to make sure the seller is trustworthy. like many said, you are buying the seller not the watch. so i think it's okay if you have enough reference and don't mind buying a "used" watch.

I have also purchased many from AD. it is always great to know everything is new and straight to you as a first time buyer. there is no open paper, or oversea dealer stamp. more so, you get gifts from the manufacture over time like a panerai key chain, or a breitling hat. you may pay more. but good negotiation may narrow the gap or even eliminate it.

·
7,022 Posts
Not sure I realized that David would be considered grey. The Tag I bought was from a grey mkt online seller - saw a bunch of online reviews after the fact where buyers claimed they were sold watches that were questionable. We didn't have issues, but it brought up questions.

Maybe I'm more trusting when there is a face/personality behind am online moniker. I'd certainly buy from David or Ken.

I'd be less likely to buy from someone reselling something they got from an online grey market dealer, I prefer an accountability trail, but that's just me.
I would consider anyone that is not an AD, a grey market dealer. Lines are very clear for an AD. In grey market, the definition is a litlle less clear. You have those with brick and mortar stores that don't have an official relationship with a brand and therefore are not AD's. Then, there are very well known sellers on TZ, WN, etc that are also, IMO, grey market. Furthermore, pieces bought from these grey places may be gently loved or maybe even old/new stock purchased out the back door of an AD and in reality "brand new." One has to find a trustworthy individual when buying these. One has to trust the rating that the seller is describing.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts