Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not some $1,000 SLR Nikon, BUT it is among the finest and highest rated "bridge cameras" (combo SLR / point & shoot) available. Also grabbed some extra batteries, a case, and a Polarized lens filter. Snapped a few pics Sunday outdoors of my sons playing ball and WOW, the PQ is outstanding!
I'll be lurking around here for some helpful tips and to share pics. :wink:

Fuji FinePix HS50 EXR

·
Registered
281 Posts
Got zoom.....

Thats crazy, you should get a great variety of quality shots with that one. Great pickup.
Enjoy it and show us lots of pics.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Been hectic lately, but I did get around to snapping a few images with this being one of the first. My 6yr old son.
I love the manual zoom and the plethora of adjusments. However, the 'EXR' setting is dummy-proof!

Being the web and him being a child, added in watermark :wink:

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
The new cameras really are phenomenal. They make it really easy to get the photo you want even in sketchy lighting conditions, and are very fast. Looking forward to some of your work with this! Enjoy.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
It seems that you're already close on cost to a DSLR- for example a D3200 with lens will run you $400ish. Generally the disadvantage of DSLRs is their weight/size, but I see this weighs 40% more than a D3200 and is larger as well? Plus you have a much smaller sensor and no lens interchangeability. What is the appeal?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
PQ looks great! Makes me want to pickup a new camera and see what I can come up with.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well first Lind, I paid only $280. :wink: Let's just say that I am very savvy at locating superb deals. And yes, it was brand new. As far as the weight, that's of no consequence for me. I have large hands, 6ft, 230lbs. What I wanted was the performance of a DSLR with convenience of a P&S. Also I didn't want to deal with multiple lenses. Also I wanted 1080p video. But one of the biggest selling points during my extended research, the amazing 'manual' zoom!
I considered many options. I confidently say that there are no better options for me under $400 much less $300!
I've shot some motion pics of my boys throwing and kicking a football and I am amazed at the shutter speed and processing in full Auto.
Just wait until I snap and upload some additional pics of various backdrops.

- BigMarcus on HTC 1

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This review sums it up:

The Fujifilm FinePix HS50EXR is a new bridge super-zoom digital compact camera. Looking and handling like a DSLR, the Fujifilm HS50EXR boasts a 42x zoom lens which covers a 35mm equivalent focal range of 24-1000mm and features mechanical image stabilisation and twist-barrel manual zoom and focusing controls. Other highlights of the HS50 EXR include a 16 megapixel ½-inch EXR Back Side Illuminated CMOS sensor, a 3-inch vari-angle 920k-dot LCD monitor, 920k-dot electronic viewfinder with eye-sensor for automatic switching, and full 1080p HD movie recording at up to 60fps with stereo sound. The biggest difference over the previous HS30EXR model is the inclusion of Phase Detection pixels on the sensor to achieve an incredibly short autofocus lag of just 0.05 second in ideal conditions. In addition there’s an ISO range of 100-12800, High Speed movie capture at 480 fps, continuous shooting at 11fps, Focus Peak Highlight function, 500 shot battery life, a customisable Function button,*full manual controls and support for the RAW file format.
http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/fujifilm_finepix_hs50exr_review/

- BigMarcus on HTC 1

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Well first Lind, I paid only $280. :wink: Let's just say that I am very savvy at locating superb deals. And yes, it was brand new. As far as the weight, that's of no consequence for me. I have large hands, 6ft, 230lbs. What I wanted was the performance of a DSLR with convenience of a P&S. Also I didn't want to deal with multiple lenses.

- BigMarcus on HTC 1
I guess that's my point, that you're not really getting the convenience of a P&S since it's larger and heavier than a DSLR, yet you're not getting the performance of a DSLR either because of the much smaller image sensor.

Either way, that is a great deal at $280, the PQ in the images you posted look great, and it sounds like it suits your needs, so enjoy it!

·
Registered
261 Posts
The P&S convenience is the zoooooooooom 24-1000mm is awesome. I might replace my DSLR at car shows with one... Seems like the action is far, when I have my short lens on and close when I have the zoom on... The DSLR is awesome for studio and staged shoots, when I need to time the strobes and know the distance but at live events having that range of movement has advantages... Only thing is, how long does it take between pressing the button and the shutter action?

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The P&S convenience is the zoooooooooom 24-1000mm is awesome. I might replace my DSLR at car shows with one... Seems like the action is far, when I have my short lens on and close when I have the zoom on... The DSLR is awesome for studio and staged shoots, when I need to time the strobes and know the distance but at live events having that range of movement has advantages... Only thing is, how long does it take between pressing the button and the shutter action?
THIS!

I can tell you based on my experience... Instantly!

Also, here is all of the detailed info on this camera: FinePix HS50EXR | Specifications | Fujifilm Global

Shutter speed (Auto mode) 1/4sec. to 1/4000sec., (All other modes) 30sec. to 1/4000sec.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts