Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a while now, I have been looking for a weekend toy that's easy to throw around for fun. I thought of an E30 BMW, but I completely overlooked motorcycles. I don't have a motorcycle license, but I'm very interested in them.

My favorite bike has got to be the CBR1000 in Repsol garb. Also a fan of the Ninjas, etc.

limited-edition-repsol-honda-cbr1000rr-announced-67179-7.jpg

I'm guessing that the 1000RR will be a teeny bit too much for a beginner to handle lol.
However, I love the sportbike look, and it's a must-have for me. I'm not a fan of streetfighters, Harleys, cruisers, etc. The full-fairing look is the only thing that strikes my fancy. Another thing that I like is the high-pitched, F1 style exhaust sound.

What options do I have that can be ridden for a couple hours without killing you, aren't too fast for a beginner, won't break the bank, sound similar, and look similar? Preferably used, since I'm just diving into motorcycles for the first time.

Thank you so much everyone

E: Forgot to add that I'm over 6 ft. tall, if it matters.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
My first bike was a Yamaha R1, although I raced motocross all my life so it wasn't my "first" bike.

The ninja 250r and cbr 250r are the most popular first bikes, used can be had very cheap.

check craigslist and ebay for pricing.

ALWAYS wear the correct gear when on street and take the msf class if you haven't already.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My first bike was a Yamaha R1, although I raced motocross all my life so it wasn't my "first" bike.

The ninja 250r and cbr 250r are the most popular first bikes, used can be had very cheap.

check craigslist and ebay for pricing.

ALWAYS wear the correct gear when on street and take the msf class if you haven't already.
Thank you!
I'd wear full gear whenever riding, it's terrifying to ride without it!

·
Registered
913 Posts
I've been toying with the idea of getting a 300 ninja, but that's because our learner restrictions mean there isn't a huge amount of choice.

·
Registered
281 Posts
What rules do you have over there? Can you get on what ever bike you want first up?

My first road bike was a 600 ninja, but only because I got my licence while only riding dirt bikes for a long while. Got me around the probationary restrictions in aus.
All the little 250 sports bikes are popular and great learners, but personally I think they look rubbish, naked 250's look better for their size.
And if you can find a v-twin they probably have more torque than an inline engine which will help with learning on a small bike.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No restrictions on what you can ride. You take a written test, get a 6 month learning permit, then you take a course for 3 days and get your license.
I saw the 250r and it's cool, but not as good looking as I expected it to be. Definitely cheap, though.

Question: what's the story about salvaged bikes? I so many 1000RRs on Craigslist dirt cheap, but they all say salvaged. What's this usually mean? Totally wrecked bike?

·
Registered
570 Posts
personally I wouldnt go anywhere near a salvaged bike. you are likely to run into bent frames/forks/sub-frames. Bikes are cheap to start with so there's no reason to save a couple grand and end up with a headache. If you are over 6 feet tall you weigh too much for a 250 or 300 to be any fun. Start out with a 600 CBR/GSXR/Ninja or whatever you like. Wear your gear and don't be dumb and you'll have no problems. I started out on a 600 super sport and never looked back. It was my first motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Get a brand new 600 with abs and TC. My 14 zx10r is almost retard proof. Hammer the throttle hammer the brakes and the bike sorts out the rest. Electronics on bikes are 20years ahead of electronics on cars.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Salvage bikes and liter bikes are the #1 form of Darwinism in under-30 males. Ninja 650 or less, IMO. Depends on your size/experience. You can get used 250R for $2.7-2.8K; 650's are dirt cheap also. Minimal loss when you sell to trade-up and cheaper than an ER visit.

Unfortunately, no matter what's suggested, the "dirtbike rider" will almost always buy the liter bike and will almost always lay it down.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Miss my Repsol :(

My first ever bike was a candy red hayabusa, loved It

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I was looking at a 1000RR on Craigslist with tons of mods at a great price, then I saw in small print "salvaged." I didn't know it was possible to repair a salvaged bike lol. Doesn't seen like a good idea!

In terms of long term riding, would these bikes work if I want to use them for commuting? Or is it just too much of a hassle?
Also, how easy is it to get yourself in trouble with the Fireblade or other liter bike? If you're careful is it still too risky?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I know it's not what you want to hear, but a 1000cc supersport as a first bike will turn you off from riding. You're thinking - It's a great value. It's got a killer exhaust note. The ladies love it.

...and you're right. But what those types of riders (the ones who jump straight to liter bikes) will never understand is the skill and knowledge that comes from wringing the ****ing neck of a <500cc bike. 1000cc's are twitchy. They're unforgiving. They're not your friend if you're not experienced.​

Starting with a 250-500cc is not a bad investment, and anyone who disagrees with that statement hasn't a clue about motorcycling. 250-500cc's are commonly sold for the exact same price, 1 year later. A 1995-2005 Ninja 250 will run you $2,000 and you'll sell it for $2,000 6 months from today when you're ready to move on. Same for the Ninja 500, and almost the same for the 650. They've experienced the depreciation curve, they've experienced a little rash, they take the beating that continues to come.

This is just me trying to help a guy out. I've been there. I've done that. I now race supersport motorcycles professionally, and I would not advise anything else.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know it's not what you want to hear, but a 1000cc supersport as a first bike will turn you off from riding. You're thinking - It's a great value. It's got a killer exhaust note. The ladies love it.

...and you're right. But what those types of riders (the ones who jump straight to liter bikes) will never understand is the skill and knowledge that comes from wringing the ****ing neck of a <500cc bike. 1000cc's are twitchy. They're unforgiving. They're not your friend if you're not experienced.​

Starting with a 250-500cc is not a bad investment, and anyone who disagrees with that statement hasn't a clue about motorcycling. 250-500cc's are commonly sold for the exact same price, 1 year later. A 1995-2005 Ninja 250 will run you $2,000 and you'll sell it for $2,000 6 months from today when you're ready to move on. Same for the Ninja 500, and almost the same for the 650. They've experienced the depreciation curve, they've experienced a little rash, they take the beating that continues to come.

This is just me trying to help a guy out. I've been there. I've done that. I now race supersport motorcycles professionally, and I would not advise anything else.
I totally understand what you mean. The last thing I want is to crash and end up disabled or something. Full-fairing dual headlight super sport bikes are so enticing- not worth dying for though. I'll have plenty of time to ride those later on.

ABS bikes have independent front and rear brakes still, right? Is Traction Control available?
If I want the nice exhaust note, full-fairing, and dual headlights, what are my options? Will the 650s meet that criteria?
Also, can I get the Repsol paint on a 650 or similar?

My apologies for the dumb questions, I'm just a scared beginner lol

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
its easy to accidentally exceed the limits on a entry level bike when the suspension brakes chassis and tires are shit. if you go 90 into a corner that is only able to be taken at 75 being on a ninja250 or rossi's motogp bike doesnt matter your still blowing the corner.

get a current gen 600 with abs and tc literately amazing stuff on bikes these days
besides, a 600 makes less power in the typical rev range for legal speeds than a ninja 650 or sv does.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Get yourself either the ninja 250-300. or the equivalent cbr. Oh and don't by new; get one thats been used and dropped at least once. This way you wont feel like a dumbass when you **** up.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
The way I think of it is that the 250s are basically idiot-proof if you lack self control. The 600 race bikes (CBR, ZX6R, GSxR, etc) accelerate so quickly that you can get yourself into trouble fast.

I think a good compromise is a Kawasaki 650R, Honda CBR650F etc... They have way less power than their R/RR counterparts but aren't completely gutless like a 250.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I totally understand what you mean. The last thing I want is to crash and end up disabled or something. Full-fairing dual headlight super sport bikes are so enticing- not worth dying for though. I'll have plenty of time to ride those later on.

ABS bikes have independent front and rear brakes still, right? Is Traction Control available?
If I want the nice exhaust note, full-fairing, and dual headlights, what are my options? Will the 650s meet that criteria?
Also, can I get the Repsol paint on a 650 or similar?

My apologies for the dumb questions, I'm just a scared beginner lol
Shit happens, you just want it to happen less. :) I am typing this message with a double clavicle break from a racing crash over labor day.

Based on your likeness for full-fairing bikes, I would recommend the Sv650. You can add on the lower fairing for <$500 and make it a full-fairing bike, with reasonable power, cheap insurance, and great resale value. (They're worth $2000-4000 depending on year/miles) Slap on a Repsol decal kit and you'll have it all.

get a current gen 600 with abs and tc literately amazing stuff on bikes these days
ABS & TC attempt to help you regain control because you've already lost it. The idea of starting on a 250-500cc bike is not lose control in the first place.

Side note: Small bikes on the street are fun. Why folks believe more power automatically means more fun has always been a funny and frankly mis-guided approach to riding. I have had literbikes, 600s, 500s, etc -- you can have just as much fun wringing the neck and flipping through the gears of a small bike as you can riding a liter bike. LaneChange you can find a dozen examples of a Sv650 on Craigslist in the L.A. area - go buy one on the cheap and experience it!

Reactions: LaneChange
1 - 20 of 54 Posts