Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
I would have to question the pilots judgement and his skill at the crab kickout. IMHO, there is no reason to take that big a risk with the plane or the passengers safety. Granted some days you have better feel for the palne and the conditions than others but....

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
No doubt about the close call. The pilot should have seen the crosswinds and been informed of them. You can't land a plane like that. I've flown for 31 yrs and never would attempt a landing with those cross winds. When he drifted over the fence he should have seen his line was too off. He obviously had enough fuel to wait for better conditions. I say that because he powered down then back up. Anytime you have to power to land straight your F'ed. If that would have been a smaller plane he would have hit that wing.

·
Deer Whisperer
5,493 Posts
I shat my pants watching that...

·
Registered
335 Posts
This is almost a year old, Yes it was a massive crosswind however what it was was a gust front. the winds were about 20ish and then the gust front leading a storm came in and was upwards of 50-60 knots. The plane actually scraped both wingtips but flew the missed approach and went to its alternate (the storm rolled over before they could attempt another landing) with no issues. Also the big thing that people forget is a jet engine doesn't have instantaneous power it can take a few seconds to spool up so they initiated the go around earlier than it appears.
Still a very close call though

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
No doubt about the close call. The pilot should have seen the crosswinds and been informed of them. You can't land a plane like that. I've flown for 31 yrs and never would attempt a landing with those cross winds. When he drifted over the fence he should have seen his line was too off. He obviously had enough fuel to wait for better conditions. I say that because he powered down then back up. Anytime you have to power to land straight your F'ed. If that would have been a smaller plane he would have hit that wing.

Are you saying a smaller plane would have been harder to recover in a wind shear?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
i am no pilot but i can t believe he still tried to land that plane after clearing the fence and coming is so off

can someone with experience please chime in? was it too late at that point or was the pilot just super risky? :bitenails:

·
Registered
629 Posts
Are you saying a smaller plane would have been harder to recover in a wind shear?
Smaller planes definitely get tossed around a lot more than that 737 type plane. Scary, but could have been a lot worse!

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Judging from the video a smaller plane most likely would have crashed. It would have been almost impossible to recover from a sudden gust or gusts like that. Small planes don't have the lift or power of a jet.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Judging from the video a smaller plane most likely would have crashed. It would have been almost impossible to recover from a sudden gust or gusts like that. Small planes don't have the lift or power of a jet.
good observation on that. I would have to agree. I am not a pilot.

·
Registered
332 Posts
It is evidant to me that the pilot(s) wasn't fully prepared for the events that took place. This video was only a few seconds from becoming another crashed on landing and.......... stories that make the top of the 10 o'clock news.

The pilot(s) is a Professional and not a student, novice or amateur of any sort. His first responsibility it to the safety of his passenger and crew members- PERIOD! He should have seen aware of all the environmental factors long before crossing the runway threshold on the approach and landing. The changes in pitch, roll and yaw in the landing phase are made with too much amplitude and frequency to believe any different.

FYI, been flying since a few weeks after I was born and have a FAA licence since I was 14. The thousands of hours I have as a passenger and logged as a pilot just make it natural for me to eat, think, sleep, and breathe flying.

Skills can be taught- judgement can't is some environments and circumstances. "... if you think you're dead..." Lt. Pete "Maverick" Mitchell, Top Gun. There is a cornel of truth to that movie line. Every test pilot I know give a wry smile and a nod or the head to that concept when the human psyche is in flight or fight mode.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts