Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo L4P,

I just recently shot the Gas Monkey Garage Ferrari F40 you've probably seen on the Discovery channel for HRE Wheels. I planned out a particular shot I wanted to do as a teaser to the whole set we'll be releasing soon. I wanted it to be over the top, so what better than flying through the busiest tunnel in downtown Dallas at night spitting fire from the exhaust?

Here's the shot:

Letting Loose — HRE Wheels by Pepper Yandell, on Flickr

Here's a quick behind the scenes video I put together showing the shoot, and some of the techniques I used to create the shot:

·
Registered
545 Posts
That's pretty awesome!
Well done!

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Perfection.

·
Registered
545 Posts
The time that is put into something like this, is prob a good.... 16+ hours.

Just shooting the car probably took the good part of a day.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
that shot is epic

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wow!

Superb editing skills!

How long did that process take?
Thanks!

For this particular shot I spent I spent a little bit of time and planning, most of my shoots are all spur of the moment, and I find locations as I drive around. For this one I even went so far as to create a CG rendering of how I wanted the shot to turn out. Here's the front shot I did as a CG render:

Then I spent a couple days making phone calls setting up a timeframe and logistics to actually shoot the car. After setting the timeframe I scheduled my assistant and prepared the equipment (and tested my fire method with a black GT-R beforehand) I decided I would need to make a shot like this possible in the environment I knew I would be shooting the car in, which is the small showroom of Stuart's body shop. The day of the shooting I spent about 3 hours shooting.

I then took the measurements I made of my camera (distance from ground, distance from car, angle of lens in relation to ground) and went out at 4AM to the busiest tunnel in downtown Dallas that I knew would work well for this shot and took pictures I used as my "backplate". I planned for this tunnel because of the number and amount of lights in the tunnel, considering the "alleged" speed of the car in the shot, the streaks of light are actually an explanation for the light reflections caused by my light painting, helping plant the shot in realism.

The actual edit took me roughly 1 hour and 45 minutes. My whole goal for this shot was to have the majority of the people that saw it not even question if it was fake or not. I wanted it to be as realistic as possible.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts