Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old Audi had smooth wheel well liners which didn't accumulate debris and were extremely easy to clean. Not so with my W204. Mercedes-Benz decided to use this fuzzy fabric-like material to which leaves, dirt, and other material seem to stick like glue. I literally could not get them clean today.

What are the implications of removing the liners? Could I remove them and simply clean the interior side of the fenders and any componentry directly? Whatever's under there would have to cope with salt, snow, and grime associated with Chicago weather, but I could protect that with some polymer sealants or other coatings.

·
Registered
630 Posts
my old maserati had that and it was insanely annoying. The only time it was ever clean was after I got the car detailed and I have no clue how they cleaned it

·
Registered
112 Posts
i just picked up a Cadillac ATS last month and went to swap my winter tires on it and noticed the same crap in the wheel wells..it made zero sense why they would use it...but I am starting to think its a noise reduction material (especially if its mainly used on luxury cars)

·
Registered
242 Posts
It's a NVH combatant to cut down on road noise.

Great for what it is, but if you don't eliminate the wheel gap and it gets dirty it can be quite an eye sore.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
my old maserati had that and it was insanely annoying. The only time it was ever clean was after I got the car detailed and I have no clue how they cleaned it
+100

my GTS liners were always packed full of crustry old wet cardboard, gum, hair, all kinds of nasty shit.
They do this as sound deadening and it works wonders tho

·
Registered
283 Posts
+100

my GTS liners were always packed full of crustry old wet cardboard, gum, hair, all kinds of nasty shit.
They do this as sound deadening and it works wonders tho
mine on my GTS are filthy as well..... pretty gross to look at them

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From what I've learned, a pressure washer is the way to go with these fuzzy deals. A little force lets the fabric release particulate matter and they apparently come completely clean, so I guess I'll get a pressure washer this coming spring; wouldn't be the end of the world since I could get a foam cannon too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have these on my Audi. They are for sound deadening and yes they are a pain to clean. I usually spray them with an all purpose cleaner or a snow foam. Let them soak while I clean another part of the car then blast them off with the pressure washer. They don't stay clean for long though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts