Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fantastic feature on Falling Water on the AIA website HERE

With a great Interactive Graphic showing the problems that have had to be overcome to stop it falling in to the river, including the fact that it dropped 1 3/4" as soon as the cantilevered terraces construction supports were removed!!

And a slideshow of new photos

It's amazing that it is still standing and fantastic that it has been preserved. I must get over to see it some time.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I was there about 20 years ago. Really a cool house.

·
Registered
653 Posts
he wouldn't have lasted 5 years as an architect in this day and age. he would have been sued into oblivion for all the mistakes that he made.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
he wouldn't have lasted 5 years as an architect in this day and age. he would have been sued into oblivion for all the mistakes that he made.
True. His first job would have finished him!

But the same is true for many of the early greats, many of Le Corbusier's buildings leaked like a sieve.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No one, i believe. It is used for tours. Some of his other houses are used for tours and corporate meetings though.
Correct. And not for a long time....

Fallingwater was the [Kauffmann] family's weekend home from 1937 to 1963. In 1963, Kaufmann, Jr. donated the property to the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy. In 1964, it was opened to the public as a museum. Nearly six million people have visited the house as of January 2008. Despite its location in a remote corner of Pennsylvania (two hours' drive from Pittsburgh), the house (according to the informational pamphlet distributed on the grounds) currently hosts more than 150,000 visitors each year

1 - 14 of 14 Posts