Luxury4Play.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
20 Minutes Online - Les mouvements à 7 francs de Franck Muller - Economie

Here is a translation by Google:

"It's like opening the hood of a Ferrari engine and discover a two-horse engine! These pieces, I buy them wholesale to 7 francs. "Independent Geneva watchmaker One does not mince words in the columns of" L'Hebdo "when talking about the production of Franck Muller. For him, watch some of the group, bristling with diamonds and sold to 30,000 francs, are overrated. Their movement, which works with simple battery, would cost less than 10 francs to purchase.

The newspaper investigated the factory based Genthod (GE). And what he discovered is puzzling. Founded in 1992 and successful in the 2000s, the company would Franck Muller currently in a phase of profound change. Production tools have been transferred from Geneva headquarters in Armenia, whose co-founder of the brand, Vartan Sirmakes is originating. Swiss and staff could be sent to Yerevan to train local employees.

This maneuver poses particular problems "Swiss made", since at least 50% of operations should be carried out in Switzerland for a watch is stamped with the famous label. Worse, "L'Hebdo" says, with supporting evidence, that the watches sold as luxury movements rely on simple technologies with the purchase price, especially, does not match the sale price of products Franck Muller finished stamped.

·
Silver Sponsor
200 Posts
disgusting

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
My friend grinds out 300 watches a year in a little swiss atelier. he is always telling me stories like this about the big guys. i always take his word with a grain of salt but he says some evil stuff which I would prolly get whacked for saying on this forum by lovers of certain brands.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Some high end brand use "cheap" movements. Does make you sick though to think you spend $15k on a watch that has a $15 dollar movement.

My friend grinds out 300 watches a year in a little swiss atelier. he is always telling me stories like this about the big guys. i always take his word with a grain of salt but he says some evil stuff which I would prolly get whacked for saying on this forum by lovers of certain brands.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Translated version of the full story HERE

Anybody got any more details on this story?

A friend of mine treated himself to a Franck Muller a year or two ago... don't know what/if/how to tell him that his watch might have a cheap crap movement in it.

Are they pretty much worthless once this becomes common knowledge?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts