Luxury4Play.com banner

21 - 40 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
7,806 Posts
I actually went to the very first D1 event in the US at Irwindale way back in 2003. It was awesome, good memories.
:)
I was the 2004 round one event but i always wanted to go to a D1 event in Japan. :( I was glad my favorite driver NOB came to Atlanta in 2007 for a demo at Formula D

Reactions: Turbology

·
Registered
7,806 Posts
I hate seeing and hearing V8s in drift cars. Back in the day, drifting wasn't about power; drivers won championships in 180hp ae86s and 300 hp silvias because they had technique and used technical courses. The Formula D courses are all power courses and sadly, D1 went the same way with Autopolis, Fuji, Suzuka and so on. I miss Nico circuit, Sugo cart track and Tsukuba. I am glad they still use ebisu though

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
...drivers won championships in 180hp ae86s and 300 hp silvias because they had technique and used technical courses... I miss Nico circuit, Sugo cart track and Tsukuba. I am glad they still use ebisu though
Agreed! Those cars are still very instrumental in learning the craft though... a V8 isn't exactly a "beginner's tool" :) Tsukuba is one of my all-time favorites!

Reactions: Sir Robbins

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Love them both! But you know where I am leaning right now ;)

·
5,744 Posts
Saw Ryan running last night at FormulaD in Vegas, after Targa Trophy. Guy can lay it down.

-Markus-

·
5,744 Posts
I will say though, on the turbo vs V8 debate, I was blown away at the immediate torque of a turbo'd 350z in the field last night. Car just JUMPED when he put his foot into it when following. Car made up a car length in an instant with a blip of the throttle.

I am still V8 all the way, but that definitely impressed me. And formulaD, what a spectacle in person. Can't say I've ever had an interest, but that's a Motorsport to see in person.

-Markus-

·
5,744 Posts
Well don't I feel stupid. What I thought was a 350z, was Daigo Saito's 1200hp SC430. Guess that explains the torque, and why that car would just leap when he got on the gas.

Bear with me. I'm new haha.

Reactions: SoCal Mag

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Saw Ryan running last night at FormulaD in Vegas, after Targa Trophy. Guy can lay it down.

-Markus-
Awesome! So glad you got a chance to see him drive in person. Seeing just how close they come to the walls and jersey barriers gives you a whole new appreciation of the skill it takes to be a pro. Some people are just born drivers, RT is definitely one of them. Guy can toss any car.

I will say though, on the turbo vs V8 debate, I was blown away at the immediate torque of a turbo'd 350z in the field last night. Car just JUMPED when he put his foot into it when following. Car made up a car length in an instant with a blip of the throttle.

I am still V8 all the way, but that definitely impressed me. And formulaD, what a spectacle in person. Can't say I've ever had an interest, but that's a Motorsport to see in person.

-Markus-
The great aspiration debate is a funny thing. While I do think it is "easier" (relatively speaking) to be competitive with a V8, the Japanese transplant drivers very much prove that turbos can still hang (albeit with much more power, generally speaking).

There really is something to be said for seeing a Formula D event live, the sounds and smells really add to the collective experience. I will never forget the exhaust note of Chris Forsberg's V8 370Z.
:wink:

Well don't I feel stupid. What I thought was a 350z, was Daigo Saito's 1200hp SC430. Guess that explains the torque, and why that car would just leap when he got on the gas.

Bear with me. I'm new haha.

Believe it or not, Daigo runs a 2JZ with a giant turbo in that car, and he is one of the more competitive drivers (though it's really not accurate to classify his as a "rookie").

BUILDS>> DAIGO SAITO'S 1200HP SC430 DRIFT CAR - Speedhunters

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Latest Formula D Insider episode...

And a pretty cool series that Ryan has been a part of, teaching Air Force folks how to drift for a chance to win a ride in an F16...

21 - 40 of 147 Posts